Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t56 to 4l80 swap completed but have some questions ,problems..

Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default t56 to 4l80 swap completed but have some questions ,problems..

Ok completed my 4l80 trans swap today. Can't say its been too fun but its in there and thats a good thing..

But..some questions..have py3400e stall. Have hptuners with segment swap.
Have reasonable cam 210/230/590/590/121. Car didn't want to stay running at first start up but finally got it to. Got codes thrown and its pretty much still throwing them. Have reset them and they come back. Codes are 1860 and 758..it was throwing 753 but think that one has stopped.
I started the car with about 7.5 quarts just ran it in park for a bit. then put in another 4 so at 11.5. At 11.5 put it thru the gears a few times. The car was not actually driven anywhere just on jackstands to verify it was going into each gear selected. It was.

I would have maybe test drove it on street but have to set my torque arm up and wanted to maybe tweak the tune a bit on it.

I have used the lsxtune harness and pretty sure its all hooked up right ,it was checked and double checked. But till have those codes and they are worriing me.
For other tuning for now have set max duty to 100 and min to 90. Have also set all TCC lock up tables to 256 as don't want lock up right now at least didn't today. I will turn lockup back on likely only in fourth gear and only under 30% throttle or so do to my power leves and yank said not to lock it up at wot and think he said around 30% on my car.

I will be checking trans fluid tommorrow and toping up as necessary and likely going for short drive.

So whats up.Think read some guys with big stalls turn off some codes in the ecu? Any of you had the 758 or 1860 codes yourself and if so what was the problem or solution.

Also wondering my did get 753 but now it seems to be gone..

Also since this swap is still very fresh in my mind please feel free to ask any questions you would like .I notice a lot about 4l60 to 4l80 but not as much t56 to 4l80.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a wiring issue. Check and make sure your new harness pins go all the way through the PCM connector. Also make sure your transmission plug is in all the way on the transmission.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Lsx tune got back to me on the problem.Apparently some harnesses were shipped with no main powre fuse..! Not marked either so phoned and guess its 7.5 to 10 range .Putting in a 10 I think. I did check power from the skip shift to end of my wire section so figured it was fine. meant to check fuse but didn't .Glad now it looks like it will very simple.

So working on car now. Still pain that got the wrong lokar the first time and it is making it harder to get dispstick in and out of the tube since its so far back under cowl. Reordered the right one but who knows when it will get here and want to drive the car yesterday.
So back to original plan. check trans fluid and go for test drive and pretty sure should be no codes or if get some likely just from the high stall..

Report back later. If we get time today also swap out pedals.That should stop me for trying to push the clutch in! LOL

Nice weather out next few days also for up here .
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Lsx tune got back to me on the problem.Apparently some harnesses were shipped with no main powre fuse..! Not marked either so phoned and guess its 7.5 to 10 range .Putting in a 10 I think. I did check power from the skip shift to end of my wire section so figured it was fine. meant to check fuse but didn't .Glad now it looks like it will very simple.

So working on car now. Still pain that got the wrong lokar the first time and it is making it harder to get dispstick in and out of the tube since its so far back under cowl. Reordered the right one but who knows when it will get here and want to drive the car yesterday.
So back to original plan. check trans fluid and go for test drive and pretty sure should be no codes or if get some likely just from the high stall..

Report back later. If we get time today also swap out pedals.That should stop me for trying to push the clutch in! LOL

Nice weather out next few days also for up here .
Oh yeah, mine shipped without a fuse. I used a 10 amp.

You will need to max out some of the misfire tables so the converter will lock (it won't throw a code tho).

Good Luck!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok it was the fuse ,no fuse to be precise. Got that in there. Topped up tranny fluid and took it around the block. No codes. Would like to say everything is great but lots of things still need tweaking but at least the tranny is shifting.
Other issues..
Speedo is not working right at all. Its crazy wrong. Why is that. I have it set as before to my proper rear gear. I thought with the 4l80 segment swap it would be right for gears.
So now I have to take my gps and go out and get this thing right.I assume that is why am getting other problems its shifting into fourth at like really low speed I assume because it thinks its going that speed?
Do I have to reverse ISS and vSS plugs. I did it harness from lsxtune in front and harness from t56 in back??
Also shifting super hard part throttle . I ordered think just a street transgo type of kit. I told them this was a street car. But it shifts pretty viscous part throttle have not bothered to try full throttle yet.
Maybe can mellow it down with line pressure or torque management either engine or
trans torque management.??
Also having turning issue. Is it normal on autos for iac to show zero in park but to read in drive? I can't seem to get it to move up in park.
Also the 4l80 seems pretty loud but don't have plate on floor or console in. Do they have pretty loud whine? fluid is in there and looks to be about right or slightly over. Can't believe they don't put drain plugs in even the factory pans.what a pain in the butt will be adding one or guess aftermarket pan but want to keep as much ground clearance as possible.

Main thing right now is thing the speedo. Car was showing 60mph and was maybe going 20mph. Thats just crazy out of whack. They should simply have tranny options in hptuners so you can set things to 2.48, 1.48 ..but thought thats what segment swap did.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help you too much here, but:

4L60s use a different pulse (I think that what its refered too) than the t56. I would assume the 4L80 uses the same as the 4L60, but I am not sure. You should be able to adjust this in HP tuners. I do not currently have my EFI live with me or else I would be able to give you a better idea. The guys on the PCM forum can help you there.

Also, IIRC, the iac counts do change when you put it in gear because of the load you are putting on the engine when you do so (at 0% throttle).

Hope this helps, and god luck. I am considering the swap myself
Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Correct. T56 has 17 teeth, 4L80 has 40. There is a field for this in the speedo section.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok thought this would be simple but nothing every is it seems.
I looked at my tune and it had 17 in there. So of course everthing would be whacked in the speedo.
I tried to punch in 40 instead in there and every time get a error and it won't caculate it . I have to put it back to 17 and then it does. and have tried everything .
So finally went back to my original segment file but problems. Original file on computer is in 2.23 beta. But I installed file in my car then read the ecu with 2.22 so could work in 2.22 since had a terrible save bug in 2.23 that would corrupt my files and would lose them and without warning at random. I have had no problems in that area with 2.22.
So not sure if that is why can't change the number from 17 back to 40 or what.I change that 2.22 tune all the time. What I did is calculated my new needed values from that original file so maybe can enter the info manually and it will work??? Maybe try that tommorrow. Sick of the car right now. On top of this speedo issue its not idling well at all and having weird iac issue unless Iac is supposed to be zero in park and only have value in drive. I can pretty much do whatever I want to the iac in park open the tb huge or barely open it and the iac don't seem to do anything. Would think iac would still have effect in park but who knows.Maybe you can tell me. Think iac is working ok have hardly any mileage on the car and the car was running good as t56 few weeks back iac was fine in neutral or in gear.

Well guess go try to force the numbers in a copy file to see if they work. or laptop need to be hooked up to change the speedo to 40 from 17???
I got a 2002 auto file segmented and changed out the vin in my 99 with the 2002 os. I wanted the extra features and my old 99 file was lost. Local pro tuner deleted it accidentally. Last time I used him.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok forced the numbers that I computed on the 2.23 original blended file and they seem to save ok so will flash them in tommorrow and see if the speedo is fixed.Crossing my fingers as starting to feel like selling the car again. Last year had cam sensor from hell problem that turned out to be sensor female connector intermittent from the engine install where guess messed up the connector.

So if this workaround works be a happy camper. At least happier camper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: t56 to 4l80 swap completed but have some questions ,problems..