Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my new transmission and stall!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Love my new transmission and stall!

I pulled my stock transmission to freshen it up and put in a yank3600, but found the splines on the input shaft were nearly stripped, the bearings were busted, the sunshell was cracked, and the case was cracked and leaking under pressure near the tailhousing (reverse I think).

So I got a 4x4 core from the local chevy dealer for $175 and cracked it open to find out it was flawless minus a check ball stuck in the plate. Even the clutches looked new.

I reused all the hard parts except for these upgrades:

BW red friction race clutches and steels
BW wide red lined band
no yo-yo high rev pump kit
oversized boost valve
trans go shift kit
BW heavy duty sprag
Heavy duty sunshell

New stock parts about everwhere else. Added a 18,000 gvw stacked plate cooler. Parts were right around $550.

Converter is a used Yank SS3600 I got from the classifieds here with about 20k miles on it.

I must say this is an awesome upgrade from stock! If you ease it around you can barely tell the stall is there, but anything over 30% throttle was breaking loose in all gears (damp roads).

After some break in miles I started easing into it some, everything is really firm...I think 3rd might even come in a little too firm, it feels more like what I would consider an ideal 2nd gear shift and that's even with the cushion of the stall. I need to check pressures and maybe lower line pressure some in EFI live I think.

I don't know how 2nd is because on the damp roads 1st gear is nothing but traction loss.

I must say though for anyone debating a stall, GET ONE. I was nervous about it because I daily drive the car but its much more driveable with the tight stall than stock. I have decent brakes again for one...
Old 12-13-2009, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you install a shift kit while it was torn apart?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Everyone is always so excited talking about how they just smoke the tires with their 3600 stall.
On the street how exactly is going nowhere spinning the tires going to win me any races?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
Everyone is always so excited talking about how they just smoke the tires with their 3600 stall.
On the street how exactly is going nowhere spinning the tires going to win me any races?
i belive its called M/T ET Streets
Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

didn't mean to imply that it was a good thing, the roads were wet (as I said above) and I'm on bald street tires

my excitement is knowing once I get some slicks for track use and some better street tires I will actually be able to get the car moving out of the hole instead of having 2.1x 60 ft times (not spinning, dead hooking)

and also maybe I will stop getting pulled by exhaust only stalled A4 and m6 ls1cars and slow *** GTs on the highway because now instead of looking for a sweet spot to downshift only to lose it when the car shifts I will hang in my powerband
Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Just clarifying... did you get the 3600ss or 3600py?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

the SS3600

I am amazed at how well it drives, as long as you keep throttle below about 35% according to my snap on scanner you can barely tell its stalled

oh and before anyone asks, no I did not build it myself but my dad is a mechanic who specializes in GM transmissions so I got free labor and he ordered parts through Oklahoma Transmission Supply, they even sent me a Playboy calender full of eye candy hehe
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

because once you get your launch figured out, even if you launch spinnin, the car moves like its never moved before, and thats exciting. after a decent stall install it will get outta the hole something fierce

i thought my stall was badass cuz itall rip my BFG's out to about 300 feet, but once i got the launch straitened out, wow. i thought that was the bee's knee's till i strapped on a set of ET Drags and dead hooked, christ that scared me for a sec hahahhahaha
Old 12-14-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Aaron, let me put it to you this way.....stalls are such a huge advantage for auto cars, I would take a well stalled car with traction problems any day over a stock stalled car that could dead hook. They can be a hand full with street tires but thats what drag radials are for. And do some reading on shift extension, it helps at speeds when when traction isnt an issue anymore.

OP, congrats on your new set-up. I recently put in an SS4K and Im having traction issues at 60 mph on street tires So I feel your excitement
Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like a nice setup and one that will last you awhile. Have fun with it.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

I have a vig stall I get it
I just hear a lot of people comparing the 'goodness' of a stall to how much they can roast the tires.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^I understand that, I guess most try new stalls with street tires and most fry rubber. Thats really the only thing you can really brag about till you hit the track. That and part throttle driveability.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a vig stall I get it
I just hear a lot of people comparing the 'goodness' of a stall to how much they can roast the tires.
ahhh ok i gotcha, when i got mine i went out and baked em, just because i could
Old 12-18-2009, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

starting to get enough miles I feel comfortable playing with it some, been toying with the launch some too

so far my bald *** tires don't like to grip at all, but the best seems to be running up to 1200ish rpm then letting off the brake and stabbing about half throttle then easing in from there

even though it starts spinning, the car feels like its moving out quicker than when it used to hook drudge up from low rpms
Old 12-26-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

Digging the thread OP. I'm excited for my ss3600