Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first converter! Just a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought my first converter! Just a few questions.

Well I'm probably gonna catch some crap for this but i would still love some feedback from you guys. I just bought a used 3800 fuddle converter. I have done a lot of research on these so far and still have a lot to learn! My question is since it is used do you think it would be wise to get the converter professionally reworked? And what kind of shop would do something like that?

I realize i'm taking a risk by putting a used converter on. The guy i bought it from told me that it has about 3500 to 4000 miles on it and he has had zero problems with it. He was selling it because he is switching to a different transmission.

If you were curious to know i have a '00 trans am with 3:23 gears, slp intake, pacesetter long tubes, borla cat-back and a small tune using the ls1 edit. My best 1/4 mile time has been a 13.1 at about 107mph. So i am really excited to see what this mod will do for me at the track! I'm just a little worried after reading some horror stories about guys blowing up their trannies after putting one on.

So if anyone has any info or advice for me i would appreciate any and all of it!! THANKS!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Turn it upside down and let it drain a couple of days. Theres now way of knowing the true mileage on the converter. To be on the safe side I would just send it off to get it checked, but then again it may be fine. Its a gamble.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

First thing......do not ever, ever, ever send it back to Fuddle. You may never see it again. For the record though, lots of people love Fuddle's converters, it just the customer service after the fact that is what blows. I sold my used converter for about half what it went for new and it had really low mileage as well. If you trust the seller then run it. Not everything is shady. Also, consider an SFI flexplate, the CAT Power's are like $75, stock flexplate is JUNK. Space your converter feet to your flexplate during install. Use shims to get you to a max of 3/16 inch gap.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a used vig3600 on here and its been running fine for over 1.5 years
Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
First thing......do not ever, ever, ever send it back to Fuddle. You may never see it again. For the record though, lots of people love Fuddle's converters, it just the customer service after the fact that is what blows. I sold my used converter for about half what it went for new and it had really low mileage as well. If you trust the seller then run it. Not everything is shady. Also, consider an SFI flexplate, the CAT Power's are like $75, stock flexplate is JUNK. Space your converter feet to your flexplate during install. Use shims to get you to a max of 3/16 inch gap.
So where can i find the SFI flexplates? Is there a sponsor on here that sells them? And the shims,Those can be bought seperatly?
Old 01-10-2010, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsteele90
i bought a used vig3600 on here and its been running fine for over 1.5 years
Nice! Thanks man, that makes me feel a little better!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruedy4
So where can i find the SFI flexplates? Is there a sponsor on here that sells them? And the shims,Those can be bought seperatly?
The CAT power flexplates are rebranded to sell under different names a lot. You will recognize them bc different brands will look the exact same and price will be similar. You can search ebay for LS1 flexplate and you will find it. Here's mine:

The $22 shim kit from Hughes which I bought through Jegs turned out to be a huge ******* waste. The reason I say that is bc all the shims are .05. Well I needed shims that were .10. Most recommend not to stack shims, so you can see my delimma. Measure to find what shim you need, take your converter bolt to make sure you get the right size shim (hole), and look for Grade 8 or Grade 10.9 (metric equivelent of 8). Then find the shim thats your right thickness. Or just stack 2 like I did.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a fuddle 3800 stall in my 93' TA. I love it, but i hope you don't lose trap speed.
My Lt1 is cammed,ported heads,full exhaust,gears. Full bolt-on's. and ported intake. And only traps 106mph. The car dyno's 320/310. Could just be the build, but I have been told that people have went from fuddle to yank or vig. and gained 2-3 mph. at the track. Im hoping that's not the case.I do notice that my 3800 fuddle is a pretty loose stall. but when it flashes, man it feels like it could rip your head off. I just wish the ta ran as good as my goat. For the money I dumped in my LT1 it should whoop it's ***...lol
Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Teching In

I would do a tranny Service before you install it.
1. Drain all the fluid out of the convertor, refill it with Type F Tranny Fluid even though most people tell you not to, I'm telling you from talking with Yank, TCI, VIG, etc, you wanna run it.
2. Now is a great time to inspect your Flexplate for spider cracks or splits. If would be wise to buy a new one from Yank or whoever because your car is a 2000 not a 98, 98's are thicker, so you dont wanna risk it.
3. Drive the car 150 miles before you tear into it just to make sure the clutchs are broken in, incase they have been replaced & to see how it locks up
4. Get the car tuned again
5. Expect 4 to 5 tenths on the big end, and a lot better 60ft time EX. 1.9 to a 1.75

Enjoy going FASTER!
Put solid Motor Mounts, Tranny Mount (not solid), and a 3.73 or 4.10 gear and your car should go 12.40's 12.50's all day up hill

Quick Reply: Just bought my first converter! Just a few questions.