Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with bolting convertor to flexplate, th400 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble with bolting convertor to flexplate, th400 swap

So i'm in the middle my 5.3 swap in my s10 and i bolted together my th400 and 5.3 the other day and i have some trouble getting the convertor to be close enough to the flexplate to bolt them together....

I'm using a the stock 5.3 flexplate with the GM spacer and i enlongated the holes on the flexplate so the bolt holes line up with the older style th400 convertor. I have it setup where the flexplate goes on then the spacer so its flexplate, spacer then convertor so i know thats not it.

The bellhousing is bolted to the block and i had no problems there but now the convertor is around 1/4 of a inch maybe a bit more away from the flexplate and the convertor bolts i have (mr. gasket i believe?) are too short to even start to thread them...

THe convertor is still spinning freely and i just cant seemto get the convertor to pull far enough forward to bolt to the flexplate...

Any ideas what could be causing this or how i can fix it? I was hoping on bolting the engine/tranny in the truck for final mounting this weekend but obviously need to figure this out first...
Old 02-16-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

if i understand right, you using the GM spacer, made for the 4L80E flywheel?
if so, it is made to go on the crank, then a flat flywheel
if you use that spacer after the flywheel, it is now to far toward the trans (by the thickness of the flywheel) does the spacer have all the holes around it that the flywheel bolts go thru, or is it a small ring like that just regis. in the crank-if you rem that spacer and use just the small ring like adapter, like hughes or tci have, might work
Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm using this spacer, with the six longer flexplate bolts i got directly from GM...

and like i said it goes from the crank, then the flexplate, then the spacer, then the convertor....

I have the stock flexplate that came with my 5.3...
Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

that spacer is made for the flat 4L80E flywheel, you cant use it like your doing
it is designed to go on the crank, then the flat flywheel-your prob using the dished flywheel, which bolts dir. to the crank-then to use a 400 style converter, you need the smaller spacer that regis. into the crank and the converter-your converter now is prob being stopped by the spacer so it wont pull forward-look at the below link, its what i think you need in place of the spacer you have
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUP-HP3795/
Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

I personally didnt use the spacer and bought a tci flexplate but ordered my converter specifically for the ls1/th400 swap.i dont know your budget but that was a direct bolt in for me . tci number from summit #399753... 200$. hope u fix your problem
Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 PM
9 Second Club

I did the same thing as RYDER. Just order the tci flexplate and be done with it. I also had a stall built with a longer snout that was made to but up against the ls based motor.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've looked into the tci flexplate but not really looking to drop 200 bucks on a flexplate for my budget build here.

I just talked to a guy on here who is local to me and has done over 20-30 of these swaps with this spacer (MeanYellowZ) and he said he has had many times where the flexplate is around 1/8 in from the convertor and he just used longer bolts and it works fine
Old 02-19-2010, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

well good deal than.the Tci flexplate is sometine i would look into for the future if i were you though its a really nice light piece and i love it