Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building a 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a 4l60e

as some of u may know i have a 02 camaro making about 500+ rwhp (depending on how much nitrous i hit it with) to the tire on the stock 4l60... im wondering who i can buy the parts from to build this trans to handle that amount of power.... any help will be much appreciated.. thanks in advance...
Old 04-09-2010, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

thanks for help man
Old 04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 for Dana. He's a super nice guy, always loves to chat about transmissions. I've used one of his kits on a customers build, seems to work great.

I like it because his kits are HP rated. I could never get a straight answer from any of the other sponsors, he was the only one that helped. Others would sell me a trans, but being as i'm a technician I basically just need to know what to put in to make it strong.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96gt4.6
x2 for Dana. He's a super nice guy, always loves to chat about transmissions. I've used one of his kits on a customers build, seems to work great.

I like it because his kits are HP rated. I could never get a straight answer from any of the other sponsors, he was the only one that helped. Others would sell me a trans, but being as i'm a technician I basically just need to know what to put in to make it strong.
i think i will be giving dana a call in the next couple weeks... im in the same boat as u... i can put it together but know one wants to sell me the parts... they make it seem like its all top secret... i know what fails and needs to be replaced but know one will give me an answer on parts... like u said they want to sell u the trans

if i dont rebuild the 4l60e im putting one of my th400 in my car... only problem with that is i need to spend another 1500 to make that work... which would include a bell houseing flexplate convert shifter plus the rebuild of the trans with a trans brake the crossmember ..
Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rice4eatingnotdrivin
i think i will be giving dana a call in the next couple weeks... im in the same boat as u... i can put it together but know one wants to sell me the parts... they make it seem like its all top secret... i know what fails and needs to be replaced but know one will give me an answer on parts... like u said they want to sell u the trans

if i dont rebuild the 4l60e im putting one of my th400 in my car... only problem with that is i need to spend another 1500 to make that work... which would include a bell houseing flexplate convert shifter plus the rebuild of the trans with a trans brake the crossmember ..
Sounds like the way to go!

As far as the TH400, I would consider that a last resort. You can make the 60E quite strong with the amount of aftermarket parts available these days. It's lighter, has less drivetrain loss, computer controlled and has an OD. Not to mention a more favorable gear ratio.

I just got the chance to road test the trans kit Dana sold me to use in our '77 GMC/6.0/60E build. It is very agressive! I like it. The shifts are firm around town, and downright sick when you're under WOT.

I really hated that when I tried to get solid answers also on the parts thing. I'd always get that runaround and deception of people trying to con me into a whole trans, even after I told them I rebuild them to stock for a living and feel i'm more than capable of doing the work. Not to mention i'm starting with a known good working core!

Dana has figured out what the others haven't, another good venue to produce profit and build customers. He makes you fully aware you shouldn't be doing it on your own if you aren't skilled at it. He's always polite and helps you understand the why and how.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

i would talk to chase(built408) he does wonders with 4l60's hell hes doing mine monday and i have the same power your making with my 02 camaro as well. pm me if you want his number. and he's damn reasonable on his price too! lmk man
Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1qwkz
i would talk to chase(built408) he does wonders with 4l60's hell hes doing mine monday and i have the same power your making with my 02 camaro as well. pm me if you want his number. and he's damn reasonable on his price too! lmk man

thanks for the info... but i like to do my own work... if something goes wrong its my own fault and i dont have to put it on someone else.. thank you though
Old 04-12-2010, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96gt4.6
Sounds like the way to go!

As far as the TH400, I would consider that a last resort. You can make the 60E quite strong with the amount of aftermarket parts available these days. It's lighter, has less drivetrain loss, computer controlled and has an OD. Not to mention a more favorable gear ratio.

I just got the chance to road test the trans kit Dana sold me to use in our '77 GMC/6.0/60E build. It is very agressive! I like it. The shifts are firm around town, and downright sick when you're under WOT.

I really hated that when I tried to get solid answers also on the parts thing. I'd always get that runaround and deception of people trying to con me into a whole trans, even after I told them I rebuild them to stock for a living and feel i'm more than capable of doing the work. Not to mention i'm starting with a known good working core!

Dana has figured out what the others haven't, another good venue to produce profit and build customers. He makes you fully aware you shouldn't be doing it on your own if you aren't skilled at it. He's always polite and helps you understand the why and how.

if u dont mind me asking which trans kit did he sell u?

this is the one im looking at... im obviously going to call and see what he recommends b4 i buy it but this kit sounds like it has everything i need to make my trans hold up https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=58&page=1
Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rice4eatingnotdrivin
if u dont mind me asking which trans kit did he sell u?

this is the one im looking at... im obviously going to call and see what he recommends b4 i buy it but this kit sounds like it has everything i need to make my trans hold up https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=58&page=1
I think it was this one:

https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=62&page=1

There is also another one below this one, that is like $1 more. I called him to have the difference explained and then it was obvious.

Definately call him. His kits are tailored for both your driving style and intended trans use. He mixes and matches the kit components based on that.

We just got the chance to get some slicks mounted to the truck our trans went into, and I must say, that is the best shifting 60E i've felt. It's not even noticeable driving around, but when you're in it she shifts damn good, especially the 2-3.

Here's a link to the build thread on that one, with some trans build pics:

'77 GMC with a 2005 6.0L/4L60E

http://gbsb.proboards.com/index.cgi?...play&thread=65
Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

eatmyshifts.com

i got alot of my parts from them and the actual rebuild kit with alto cltuches and band off ebay a few times. but the above site has everything
Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Probuilt internals here. Finally stopped rebuilding the tranny, has been in my car for over 3 years.