Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How 2 disable neutral safety switch, wire up back up lights, & wire up lockup switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How 2 disable neutral safety switch, wire up back up lights, & wire up lockup switch?

Conversion is going good...however, Im having trouble figuring out a way to do a few last things...electrical. First off, how would I disable the nuetral safety switch? The only thing that I can come up with is to take off the female end of the switch (little black box) and plugging it back in and then taping the box shut. However, I dont want a box hanging under there, I want to do it nicely and a better way. I suck when it comes to electrical. Secondly, I was wanting to know how I wire up the back up lights. I believe with the 6 speed it was done through the gears, but electronically as well. How would I do this for the 200-4R? Lastly, I have to wire up lockup for my transmission. There is a plug that comes off the side of it in which I already have the plug, however, I have to wire it in where theres only power when the key is on. I then want to spice in some type of switch where I can disable lockup as needed. How would I go about that too? Sorry for all the questions, but I do appreciate the help. Thank you so much.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neutral safety should be a light yellow and a brown wire, 10ga or so, that runs under the driver side dash to the shifter. Just find a good spot under the dash, cut the two wires and splice them together. that will bypass the neutral safety switch. Atleast thats how it was on my 94 camaro.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:39 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The neutral safety switch is easily bypassed by taking the lower clutch sensor wires and splicing into those. It's the sensor that activates when the clutch is full pressed. I don't run the reverse tail lights yet, but there is a connector that goes into the M6 that activates them. I don't have a lockup on my TH400, so I couldn't tell you how that works.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't found out completely on the back up lights yet NvyMySS but I am going to take the wires from the switch on the clutch and run them to the Neutral safety switch on the shifter so it will only crank in Park or Neutral. As far as the lock up goes I was told that It will automatically lock up by itself when it shifts to OD. I am going to wire just a small toggle switch to lock it up in third gear while I am driving around town.

How did you do your cross member. I have heard numerous people talk about it but can't find any pictures of it.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:35 PM
9 Second Club NA

Originally Posted by DERTY
The neutral safety switch is easily bypassed by taking the lower clutch sensor wires and splicing into those. It's the sensor that activates when the clutch is full pressed.
Yeah, I saw that removing my pedal assembly. I really didnt want to just take that off plug it back in and tape it or something, would look ghetto in my opinion. Plus I hate riggin stuff up. So the female part of it, cut them, and splice them together? So I can just cut the plug off completely and run the wires together?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

Originally Posted by Chad00ws6
As far as the lock up goes I was told that It will automatically lock up by itself when it shifts to OD. I am going to wire just a small toggle switch to lock it up in third gear while I am driving around town.

How did you do your cross member. I have heard numerous people talk about it but can't find any pictures of it.
It will automatically lock up in overdrive, but there has to be a lockup switch installed in the tranny. There also has to be power to that switch to make it work. Thats what I was wanting to know, how I wire it up. Basically I just need to know where and which wire to splice into so that I only have power when the key is on. Then when I get that figured out, I can then install a switch so that I can have control when lockup is on or off. I cant remember if the tranny originally came with it or not, but there is a 4 prong plug on the side of the tranny, thats the one for the lockup. All this info is from Mike. I bought the female end of the plug and he cut off 3 of the 4 wires. The wire that is left is the one that needs power.

You dont need pics of a crossmember, its one of the most simple things of this conversion. Use a stock 6-speed crossmember and youre good to go. Bolt it up and you will see where you need to enlongate the hole for the bolt on the mount. Not ever crossmember needs it. Mine did not, it was a direct bolt up. You will also need a spacer. Mike also has one he fabricates out of aluminum, its like $25. Hope that helps.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok...Ive got the nuetral safety switch knocked out!!! Now all I need to know is where and which wire I can splice into that will only give me power when the key is on. Im going to use that for my lockup. Once I get that where thats at, I will then install a switch so that I can disable lockup when I want. Secondly, how do I wire up the back up lights? There was obviously a way that the M6 did it and maybe that wire(s) is the one I need for the auto. Im completely stumped on that one. Thats pretty much it as far as the electrical part of it. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Glad to hear everything is going so well for you. My TC came in today along with the TCI flex plate. Alao according to Mike my tranny shipped out today. I got the pate I fabbed put in and I need to install the shifter and cooler before the weekend.

As far as your wires go there should be several wires behind the radio that have juice from the switch just test em and you have it. I already have a wire there for my Bottle Heater for now.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:10 PM
9 Second Club NA

Great news...I figured out what I had to do. I bought a stock shifter a while back for a 4L60E. Its the one that came equipped with automatic f-bodies. I noticed while looking a my breakdown of the shifter that there was a switch that mounts to the side of the shifter. That switch did not come with it it, but that switch is the park/nuetral safety switch. But thats only half of it, I also have to get the plug that plugs into it. Well...2 of the wires are for the backup lights, those 2 wires will be connected to the same 2 wires that plugged in the tranny for the back up lights. There are 6 wires total I believe, 2 more of them are for the park nuetral safety, those will connect to the 2 wires that went to the clutch pedal. That switch was a neutral safety switch as well, but for a manual trans. I just had that wire/plug jumpered, so the car would start, but it would start in any gear. I didnt want that, so Im going through with all of this. The only thing that Im not going to install is the park lock. Anyhow, I just thought that I would pass on the good news and hopefully it will benefit those that are doing the conversion as well. Thanks a lot. Oh yeah, I also found a wire that I can splice into so that I have power only when the key is on.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

I'm chomping at the bit right now. My tranny is scheduled to deliver first thing in the morning. I have not however received the dipstick tube or the kit Trevor was sending me to hook up the detent cable to the throttle body.

NVMySS have you ordered your drive shaft yet? I called Denny's and he said someone from Texas had placed their order but had not called with their measurements yet. I placed my order also but will call first thing Monday with the measurements maybe Friday afternoon if I get it in by then. The guy I spoke with there said that they will probably make both of them at the same time.

Quick Reply: How 2 disable neutral safety switch, wire up back up lights, & wire up lockup switch?