Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trap Speed after torque converter change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by z99ls1
You guys are making me lol. I wanted to gain a mph or 2
Not gonna happen, however, during a recent roll race with a fairly equally modded M6, I could almost stop his pull during the few quick seconds I was in the shift extension. After the shift extension was gone, it was like losing 20 hp.

Originally Posted by Atomic
Higher stall converters are technically less efficient than lower stall ones, which is why a lot of guys lock them in 3rd.
You can't lock a single disk converter at WOT. You can but it wont last long at all.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Wow. 6 tenths? I can see picking up 2-4 tenths in the 60', but I would have never guessed 6 tenths.
.4 in the 60ft = .6 on the big end

I have heard of people droping a full second with a 4000 stall.
Definitely believable.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Post up a video anyway if you would. I will be able to tell by the sound of the engine what is going on.
Here is a thread I made a while back. Should help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...uge-shots.html

Some will try to steer you towards the TCI type converters, and thats fine.
I personally will tell you buy a billet front. Doesnt matter who you buy it from. The extra cost is worth it on a primarily street driven vehicle. I personally chose an SS4k, which is likely a little more aggressive then what you are looking for.

This is one of the reasons I chose a billet converter:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...education.html
Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Not gonna happen, however, during a recent roll race with a fairly equally modded M6, I could almost stop his pull during the few quick seconds I was in the shift extension. After the shift extension was gone, it was like losing 20 hp.

You can't lock a single disk converter at WOT. You can but it wont last long at all.

.4 in the 60ft = .6 on the big end

Definitely believable.

Here is a thread I made a while back. Should help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...uge-shots.html

Some will try to steer you towards the TCI type converters, and thats fine.
I personally will tell you buy a billet front. Doesnt matter who you buy it from. The extra cost is worth it on a primarily street driven vehicle. I personally chose an SS4k, which is likely a little more aggressive then what you are looking for.

This is one of the reasons I chose a billet converter:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...education.html
So you got pulled on by an m6 with equal mods? I would think that you should pull an m6 with a stalled auto. I was under the impression stalled auto owns m6's all day?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Internet hype. I have ran even with an equally modded M6 before at speeds basically below 100. Our biggest disadvantage is our 3rd gear to their 4th. In 3rd, our cars dont have a lot of pull, they switch to 4th, and their cars pull well. Just the differences in the set-ups. On the track, the equally modded 6 speed can catch you on the back end. Your goal is to get out enough that he cannot make up the ground IN TIME (meaning the end of the race) This would also apply to a street race. This particular car I raced had a couple of small advantages that added up. 1. His car was slightly lighter 2. His cam was slightly bigger 3. He is a damn good driver. And the race started with me at 4k in 2nd gear (at about 45-50mph). I had NO converter advantage as I was completely out of the flashing speed. It was motor to motor and I got beat, as I should with those circumstances. There was no shame. From low speeds and digs, the stalled car has a huge advantage if he can hook. When you are in 3rd and he is running 3rd and 4th gears out, watch out.

Here's an example: Black car had TSP H/C bolt ons, super lightweight, 9 inch rear, slicks suspension, etc etc. I had a tr224, 3200 converter, bolt ons, full weight, stock suspension, stock heads, Nittos. Watch closely, I had him until he shifted 4th (you can hear it) and he blows past me. And yes he slept on the line. You can only fend them off so long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwMQdOM35uY
Old 01-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Restricted User

yea but he had heads and cam. Not really fair. I always beat 6-speeds with equal to my mods, thats why I was saying...
Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

yea but he had heads and cam. Not really fair. I always beat 6-speeds with equal to my mods, thats why I was saying...
Yeah, that was definitely not the best example as the black car had a horsepower advantage.

So..................... Anyone else have before and after experience? Back in the day I would expect to see a 1.5 to 2.5 mph loss with a high stall. Just trying to see evidence of these new converters efficiency.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Right, my point was though that with a great launch you can beat them down the 8th no sweat. Equally modded, they will pull you when they hit fourth, its just a matter of how much. Most races on the street will give the auto the advantage.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you beat equally modded 6 speed from a roll that doesn't let you downshift to first, there is a good chance you are beating the driver...not the car.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Restricted User

I disagree
Old 01-19-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
If you beat equally modded 6 speed from a roll that doesn't let you downshift to first, there is a good chance you are beating the driver...not the car.
I agree completely. In a 6 speed, the driver is a BIG factor.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Internet hype. I have ran even with an equally modded M6 before at speeds basically below 100. Our biggest disadvantage is our 3rd gear to their 4th. In 3rd, our cars dont have a lot of pull, they switch to 4th, and their cars pull well. Just the differences in the set-ups. On the track, the equally modded 6 speed can catch you on the back end. Your goal is to get out enough that he cannot make up the ground IN TIME (meaning the end of the race) This would also apply to a street race. This particular car I raced had a couple of small advantages that added up. 1. His car was slightly lighter 2. His cam was slightly bigger 3. He is a damn good driver. And the race started with me at 4k in 2nd gear (at about 45-50mph). I had NO converter advantage as I was completely out of the flashing speed. It was motor to motor and I got beat, as I should with those circumstances. There was no shame. From low speeds and digs, the stalled car has a huge advantage if he can hook. When you are in 3rd and he is running 3rd and 4th gears out, watch out.

Here's an example: Black car had TSP H/C bolt ons, super lightweight, 9 inch rear, slicks suspension, etc etc. I had a tr224, 3200 converter, bolt ons, full weight, stock suspension, stock heads, Nittos. Watch closely, I had him until he shifted 4th (you can hear it) and he blows past me. And yes he slept on the line. You can only fend them off so long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwMQdOM35uY

Yea he ended up roasting you actualy by what 1.? I think we have had this convo before steve but if you were to take the same 2 cars, give them the same exact mods (except a-4 gets a stall) , then do a 1/4 pass, the stalled car will take the win? But if the race went beyond 1/4 then the stick would pass the auto.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Teching In

So, for a street only driven car, that does't use drag radials and
has no traction in first gear at all , the purpose of replacing stock converter
with 9.5 converter would be what?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bolek
******* worthless I believe
Old 01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Restricted User

Much faster passing times. Much better shift extenstion to keep you in your rpm band and make you accelerate alot quicker. When you punch it going say 50 the car hits higher rpms with a high stall and you will take off much quicker. There are so many good things about a stall besides the first gear. Although you need good decent tires if your going to get a stall.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Restricted User

Plz don't tell me you have an a4 with a cam and no stall ?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Restricted User

I agree completely. In a 6 speed, the driver is a BIG factor.
I wasn't disagreeing that the driver is a big factor im disagreeing that the manual will pull. I have raced man 6speeds with similar mods and I havent been pulled on yet. In fact I raced a 2010 ss wtih intake and exhaust (and yes the guy could shift perfect) And I put 2 cars on him by 60 and by the time I got to 130 I had put 4 cars on him
Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Much faster passing times. Much better shift extenstion to keep you in your rpm band and make you accelerate alot quicker. When you punch it going say 50 the car hits higher rpms with a high stall and you will take off much quicker. There are so many good things about a stall besides the first gear. Although you need good decent tires if your going to get a stall.
he mentioned no drs so I was trying to tell him it would be worthless without
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
he mentioned no drs so I was trying to tell him it would be worthless without
That whole paragraph I just typed was to show that the stall isn't "worthless" without dr's at all. I showed a bunch of advantages of the stall besides launching hard and pulling harder in first gear
Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.. on my damned phone.. ill post up in about an hour with my opinion. Too many quotes for me to do on my phone.

Some **** being spread..I knew there was a reason I stopped posting up my opinion on converters and gears..
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

That whole paragraph I just typed was to show that the stall isn't "worthless" without dr's at all. I showed a bunch of advantages of the stall besides launching hard and pulling harder in first gear
yea good points. But I would still consider it stupid without drs lol >"IMO"<
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
Wow.. on my damned phone.. ill post up in about an hour with my opinion. Too many quotes for me to do on my phone.

Some **** being spread..I knew there was a reason I stopped posting up my opinion on converters and gears..
First of all ill start off by saying, you and that damn phone!
And now ill just sit back and watch the show

Quick Reply: Trap Speed after torque converter change?