Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3:73's or 3000 stall first?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

a 3000 stall will NOT be too loose with 2.73 gears.
I ran my 3000 rated stall w/a 2.0 str for years on 2.73 gears, and almost all of my driving is in the city. And theres more then just a couple of hills around here as well.
Apart from my nitrous, the stall has been thus far the most noticeable of my mods.
Last jan, I installed a set of 3.42 gears and gained nothing at the track.
I cut 1.79 60' times n/a and 1.66s spraying out of the hole.
Another advantage of the relatively small stall over gears is you won't need a tune.
Now I fully expect everyone to say "you gotta have a tune" if you stall it.
But that is not true.
I didn't tune my car till after my cam install.
Car shifted fine on the verter with the stock tune.
Never hit the rev limiter, allways locked up at around 40mph.
Do the stall first.
You will be thankfull that you did.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been whatching alot of youtube vids with stalls...they do look pretty bad ***...I just would like to understand more of what city driving is like..It sounds like you have to really rev the **** out of the car just to get it going..I don't want to be going 25mph and and sound like I'm driving it in gear 1 on the auto...I wish I knew someone who had one...I need to test this out..It would really help me..I've just read about how the jump from 273 to 373 drastically changes the cars accel and feeling...It looks like the converters in the videos jump from like 25mph to 70 in a blink of the eye...but gears would get me the 0-45 quicker...dammit I don't know now...everyone on ls1 lt1 said gears..I just joined this site....you guy's damm near all say stall...
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by justin hover
I have been whatching alot of youtube vids with stalls...they do look pretty bad ***...I just would like to understand more of what city driving is like..It sounds like you have to really rev the **** out of the car just to get it going..I don't want to be going 25mph and and sound like I'm driving it in gear 1 on the auto...I wish I knew someone who had one...I need to test this out..It would really help me..I've just read about how the jump from 273 to 373 drastically changes the cars accel and feeling...It looks like the converters in the videos jump from like 25mph to 70 in a blink of the eye...but gears would get me the 0-45 quicker...dammit I don't know now...everyone on ls1 lt1 said gears..I just joined this site....you guy's damm near all say stall...
Ha! Decisions decisions. You know the converter will make more difference in the quarter mile. Conversely, you know that the gears will offer a far better improvement in driveability. So really, this question comes down to what is more important.

Also, you know that eventually you will have both. It is not a decision for one or the other forever. I can tell you from experience that a high stall is way more tolerable and has far better driveability in a car with a gear. So, from driving enjoyment standpoint, it would be gear first for me no question. Now if you just have to beat the guy down the block this weekend at the drags for bragging rights, then maybe the converter first. There is my two cents.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the gears first. They will be much better for a DD.
Converter is a hit/miss deal. Too many varables.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Part throttle drive-ability with a stall isn't much different than with a stock stall. The stalling functions of the converter are compounded by power. If you aren't putting the throttle to the floor when you take off the car is gonna move almost like you had the stock stall. 3500 stall doesn't mean that the converter won't move the car until 3500, but that at your weight, gearing, and wot the converter WILL stall to that rpm.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
Part throttle drive-ability with a stall isn't much different than with a stock stall. The stalling functions of the converter are compounded by power. If you aren't putting the throttle to the floor when you take off the car is gonna move almost like you had the stock stall. 3500 stall doesn't mean that the converter won't move the car until 3500, but that at your weight, gearing, and wot the converter WILL stall to that rpm.
I hear all kinds of people say this on here. I think the problem lies in the individuals definition or driveability. However, high stalls surely do no "drive like stock" at part throttle. If you have a 3000+ converter and you say it "drives like stock" at part throttle around town, post a video of this. There are many videos on YouTube of people driving around on their high stall converters and they are nothing like stock.

The engine goes to about 2 thousand rpm and stays there unless they give it more throttle. All the gears run together into a constant drone sounding like they have 1 speed transmission. This takes all of the positive feel away at part throttle. It also takes the subtle rise and fall of rpm as you go through the gears at part throttle away. This turn the beautiful cascade sound of a V8 and turns it into a constant drone.

When I drive a high stall, I purposely manually shift it and hold the gears to a little over 2500 before I shift at part throttle just so I get a positive feel and more enjoyable sound.

Other high stall drivers may not feel the same way, but many have told me they do.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I hear all kinds of people say this on here. I think the problem lies in the individuals definition or driveability. However, high stalls surely do no "drive like stock" at part throttle. If you have a 3000+ converter and you say it "drives like stock" at part throttle around town, post a video of this. There are many videos on YouTube of people driving around on their high stall converters and they are nothing like stock.

The engine goes to about 2 thousand rpm and stays there unless they give it more throttle. All the gears run together into a constant drone sounding like they have 1 speed transmission. This takes all of the positive feel away at part throttle. It also takes the subtle rise and fall of rpm as you go through the gears at part throttle away. This turn the beautiful cascade sound of a V8 and turns it into a constant drone.

When I drive a high stall, I purposely manually shift it and hold the gears to a little over 2500 before I shift at part throttle just so I get a positive feel and more enjoyable sound.

Other high stall drivers may not feel the same way, but many have told me they do.
You said what I couldn't explain when I seen the videos...That nailed it..Not that i won't get a stall in the next couple years but gears gotta come first..second year with this car and I love the way it drives for the time being...I sure in the hell have a better understanding of how a stall works though....I know I'll get one..just not right now. TKS
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justin hover
You said what I couldn't explain when I seen the videos...That nailed it..Not that i won't get a stall in the next couple years but gears gotta come first..second year with this car and I love the way it drives for the time being...I sure in the hell have a better understanding of how a stall works though....I know I'll get one..just not right now. TKS
Your looking at getting a 3000 stall converter.
That is tiny.
Drove one in the city for years with 2.73 gears.
My wife drove the car, never even mentioned if it felt "odd" to her.
Read my earlier post.
If I am talking over your head I apologise.
I don't know how io make it any simpler.
Good luck.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would look for a used 10 bolt, with 3.23/3.42/3.73 already installed. By the time you buy gears and have someone install them you'd be better off. If you are willing to travel a little bit you can get them for peanuts, then put a 3600 in it and start blowin' tires off! Put a cooler on too.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

No offense but you sound like an old man. You did accurately describe it though and to me it's not a big deal at all. I went from a stock stall to a 3600, I had never drove/rode in a stalled car so I didn't know what to expect. I can honestly tell you it took me about 15 minutes to get used to it. When I see people talk about getting a 2800 or similar stall because of drivability issues I laugh now.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Quick Sh0t xMLx
No offense but you sound like an old man.
Watch it junior!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quick Sh0t xMLx
When I see people talk about getting a 2800 or similar stall because of drivability issues I laugh now.
That's what I'm saying, not even worth the hassle of pulling the trans. I started with a 3400 2.1 str Fuddle and that was about perfect for a first timer. 3600 should take about 15-1700 to maintain with traffic.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dannyz
Your looking at getting a 3000 stall converter.
That is tiny.
Drove one in the city for years with 2.73 gears.
My wife drove the car, never even mentioned if it felt "odd" to her.
Read my earlier post.
If I am talking over your head I apologise.
I don't know how io make it any simpler.
Good luck.
Yeah your right.......but **** canning these gears is just priority now...I can understand the stall driving concept but these gears are terrible..
Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I say get a 3600-3800 stall now with a truck pan and cooler. Then 342-373s. When you do the rear weld your axle tubes,run a girdle and solid crush sleeve. I let my gfs,mom drive my car and unless they smack from a dig they think its normal. I then beat the hell out of the car and its fun beating awd cars from a dig(I have DRs full time on this car)
Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I say get a 3600-3800 stall now with a truck pan and cooler. Then 342-373s. When you do the rear weld your axle tubes,run a girdle and solid crush sleeve. I let my gfs,mom drive my car and unless they smack from a dig they think its normal. I then beat the hell out of the car and its fun beating awd cars from a dig(I have DRs full time on this car)
Too big a stall for what he wants.
He does not want to deal with a loose stall, as most of his driving is in town with a few hills here and there.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

"Drives like stock" just means "I'm used to my converter and so it seems normal to me." That's how it is for me. Then I drive a rental car for a few days and when I return to driving mine, I realize how different from "stock" it really is. And I love it.

I don't suffer from unnoticeable shifts, sluggish responsiveness, constant rpm drone, and "one continuous gear". Rather, I enjoy crisp shifts and snappy responsiveness. It's all about working your combo out. Your converter, gears, tuning, and I believe, a Transgo shift kit should all work together to give satsifying performance and a good driving experience.

For optimal driveability and maximum quickness you need all of the above, IMO. 3.42's and a 3000-3600 stall are great basic building blocks to get where you want to go.

I was ELATED with the difference that going from 2.73's to 3.42's created in my daily driving experience. I was elated all over again when I added a 3000 stall to my combo.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
"Drives like stock" just means "I'm used to my converter and so it seems normal to me." That's how it is for me. Then I drive a rental car for a few days and when I return to driving mine, I realize how different from "stock" it really is. And I love it.

I don't suffer from unnoticeable shifts, sluggish responsiveness, constant rpm drone, and "one continuous gear". Rather, I enjoy crisp shifts and snappy responsiveness. It's all about working your combo out. Your converter, gears, tuning, and I believe, a Transgo shift kit should all work together to give satsifying performance and a good driving experience.

For optimal driveability and maximum quickness you need all of the above, IMO. 3.42's and a 3000-3600 stall are great basic building blocks to get where you want to go.

I was ELATED with the difference that going from 2.73's to 3.42's created in my daily driving experience. I was elated all over again when I added a 3000 stall to my combo.
What this guy said I had 2.73's and wanted a stall but I knew that a 3400+ was gonna feel a little loose so I got a steal on some 3.42's that kept me happy for a while and it did make a SOTP difference but now I feel like I need a stall so I'm currently looking at something in the 3400 range and I'm still not sure if i wanna pull the trigger hopefully people here will convince me to lol. But ya i'd do the gears first then the stall converter a big stall with 2.73's might be a little slushy the gears will tighten it up and feel better around town.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

That post was more for beginners than a vet.
The reason I described it drives "like" stock is because the difference in a stall and gears like 3.73 or 4.10 would be just as far from "Driving like stock" as a 3000+ converter. You have to get higher rpms to meet the same mph. There IS a NOTICABLE difference but nothing like.... going 1/2 throttle before the car even moves... sorry but i was kind of trying to point out that 3000 rpms on a 3000 stall isn't the point where it starts to move.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

The whole converter concept makes sense now...I do most, for the most part drive my car at that 20-45mph I'm talking CITY driving...car to car...not just a couple lights...theirs about 15lights on my daily drive..so I agree...I don't think I'd ever see the benifit of a stall..theirs no need to launch from a light when the next one is 75 ft ahead,,only time would be my road home which is about a 3 mile road right outside of the city....I think I would get that drone feeling and not enjoy the rmp range shifting drivability
Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmoken
hhhhhaa...

!!
!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 3:73's or 3000 stall first?