Sponsored by:

3:73's or 3000 stall first?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Here is the thing though.. he has 323s.
He has 2.73s, which is why I suggest looking for a complete rear for sale, you can get them for like 1-200 bucks if you pick it up. I'm with lemons12 on size of stall, I've had 3400, 4000, and 4200. The bigger ones were awesome. I wouldn't do anything less if I get back into an auto. He really needs a ride in a stalled car, shouldn't be too hard to find someone down that way with one.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by super_fro_daddy
He has 2.73s, which is why I suggest looking for a complete rear for sale, you can get them for like 1-200 bucks if you pick it up. I'm with lemons12 on size of stall, I've had 3400, 4000, and 4200. The bigger ones were awesome. I wouldn't do anything less if I get back into an auto. He really needs a ride in a stalled car, shouldn't be too hard to find someone down that way with one.
My bad.. None of my opinions on anything change either way.

I would do a converter and when you bounce back and have some mkny get a used 323 or 342 rear if you feel the need to have to.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Teching In

I have a 98 z28 a4, any idea of what gears I have? Not to jack this thread...
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z28NEVALATE
I have a 98 z28 a4, any idea of what gears I have? Not to jack this thread...
Do you have gu2 of gu5 on the door sticker? I think its like fifth over third down or something like that.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not that I think that gears will help me accelarate faster than a converter...It's that I think 3:73s would help me accelerate faster then my 2:73s for the almost alway's under 50mph driving...so much stop and go..the videos on you tube of the 3200 and 3400
stalls I only see the benefits of the launch....25-70 in the blink of an eye....but the driving slow just seems like you rev and rev taking away the feeling of quick accel ...but I don't know ....I just liked the way's gears sounded from everyones else experience..sounded like it would be the most fun of the two in the city...these 2:73 are great for just top end speed but the 0-40 sucks with them.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

stalls will help from a roll too. big time.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by justin hover
It's not that I think that gears will help me accelarate faster than a converter...It's that I think 3:73s would help me accelerate faster then my 2:73s for the almost alway's under 50mph driving...so much stop and go..the videos on you tube of the 3200 and 3400
stalls I only see the benefits of the launch....25-70 in the blink of an eye....but the driving slow just seems like you rev and rev taking away the feeling of quick accel ...but I don't know ....I just liked the way's gears sounded from everyones else experience..sounded like it would be the most fun of the two in the city...these 2:73 are great for just top end speed but the 0-40 sucks with them.
At 3000 rpms with gears and 3000 rpms with a stall, the gears would feel way faster.. at wot, there is no contest, stall.

You keep saying 20-70 4080 etc.. a converter helps everywhere. The bigger part is 0-30 or so.. after that it definitely helps, especially more than gears. But it is the mod along with traction that willvmake people from a dig say holy ****
Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
At 3000 rpms with gears and 3000 rpms with a stall, the gears would feel way faster.. at wot, there is no contest, stall.

You keep saying 20-70 4080 etc.. a converter helps everywhere. The bigger part is 0-30 or so.. after that it definitely helps, especially more than gears. But it is the mod along with traction that willvmake people from a dig say holy ****
Let's say I want a stall...but I don't want a big one with this low gear ratio....but I also don't want too small of one for now...still hate the gears...decide to then change gears and in turn want a bigger stall...seems like it would make more sense to see how the gear change would be...which are sure are fun...then match a more permanent stall... those stalls are pretty expensive to swap out if I wasn't happy and wanted a bigger one..while in the meantime I don't think I would be dissapointed at all with the gears..I mean what could be bad about them...I don't kill my car at all...I just want the 0-45 faster but with the same driveablility as it does now....I do have brand new kuhmos...I can't even do a burnout with these 2:73s...I have to ******* floor it to get it to chirp..It would be nice to even have an option to spin these *******..
Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let's say I want a stall...but I don't want a big one with this low gear ratio....but I also don't want too small of one for now...still hate the gears...decide to then change gears and in turn want a bigger stall...seems like it would make more sense to see how the gear change would be...which are sure are fun...then match a more permanent stall... those stalls are pretty expensive to swap out if I wasn't happy and wanted a bigger one..while in the meantime I don't think I would be dissapointed at all with the gears..I mean what could be bad about them...I don't kill my car at all...I just want the 0-45 faster but with the same driveablility as it does now....I do have brand new kuhmos...I can't even do a burnout with these 2:73s...I have to ******* floor it to get it to chirp..It would be nice to even have an option to spin these *******..
Even if you get 373s now.. then a 3400 down the road.. chances of you wishing you went bigger (if u knew how a 3800+ car launched and extensions), you would still want to go bigger.

My opinion is stall.. it sounds like you want gears. I think you will love them going off your posts. Gt them and then a stall in a few months.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

Listen to lemons, he is speaking the truth. My first "real" mod was a 3200 stall and it was awesome! Made the car so much more fun to drive. All RPMs were awesome. From a dig it was instantly up near the powerband. And the shift extensions kept it there so every shift it was already ready to go. From a roll, the rpms instantly flash to the powerband and you are off. Then it locks up and you still get great mpg and no "loose" issues.

Speaking of loose - I didn't notice it much at all. In fact I wanted looser (later dropped in a 4000 stall ) However, you may notice it a bit with 2.73 gears. But with 2.73s your car is screaming for a converter. It is struggling to get to the powerband without the mechanical advantage.

I later did 3.73 gears and didn't notice too much except a reduction in mpg. Then I tried 4.10s trying to get that same feel as from the converter but it just isn't the same. Plus there is a chance your gears will whine much more than your stock ones and that just sucks.

Get the stall. It is still the best bang for buck mod I have done (n2o was kinda fun though ). And don't be afraid to get one a little bigger than you think you are comfortable with. You will get used to it in no time and will love it. I would probably suggest something around 3500-3800 with 2.73s.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Sad
Listen to lemons, he is speaking the truth. My first "real" mod was a 3200 stall and it was awesome! Made the car so much more fun to drive. All RPMs were awesome. From a dig it was instantly up near the powerband. And the shift extensions kept it there so every shift it was already ready to go. From a roll, the rpms instantly flash to the powerband and you are off. Then it locks up and you still get great mpg and no "loose" issues.

Speaking of loose - I didn't notice it much at all. In fact I wanted looser (later dropped in a 4000 stall ) However, you may notice it a bit with 2.73 gears. But with 2.73s your car is screaming for a converter. It is struggling to get to the powerband without the mechanical advantage.

I later did 3.73 gears and didn't notice too much except a reduction in mpg. Then I tried 4.10s trying to get that same feel as from the converter but it just isn't the same. Plus there is a chance your gears will whine much more than your stock ones and that just sucks.

Get the stall. It is still the best bang for buck mod I have done (n2o was kinda fun though ). And don't be afraid to get one a little bigger than you think you are comfortable with. You will get used to it in no time and will love it. I would probably suggest something around 3500-3800 with 2.73s.
you guy's might just convince me....what stalls am I looking at??names prices or websites..The ws6 store is where I've spent most my money, any stall their with a cooler?..I would prefer to stay on the small side because of my limited city driving...what would be around the same price? The gears install and tune was going to run about 700$ I'd like to stay right in that range...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gears are cheaper, but stall is the big bang. i did it all, SS4000 from yank and a set of richmond 4.10s!! Not a highway racer, but a monster down low!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

what stalls am I looking at??
Now were makin' some progress.

You could get an "off the shelf" converter (Yank, Vig etc) or someone who builds it to your specs (Circle D. FTI, RPM, Performabuilt).

If I were you I would have a vendor build one. You can call them tell your goals and they will set you up. That is what I did with my first (Fuddle) and third (Circle D). I'm not here to say one is better than the other, just giving the options available to you. Just remember you get what you pay for....transmissions are expensive!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

most times you can get a restall at no extra charge for a little while after your purchase.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think you guy's convinced me....that's why I had to push the issues on gears..I've read so many post in other sites just talking about their gear swap and hardly anything on stalls. After tossing and turning last night...it came to me, all that lemons12 talk made sense...I all the sudden got a feeling of what it would be like with the stall and... I GET IT...I do need a stall...the higher rev would sound good....from a roll I think I would especially like them....now I'm just lost though on which brand price and stall..I def. don't won't to go all out, and with 2:73s....a 3200? or 3400? off the shelf or custom? man...This is now the answer I NEED. This is why I oringinally asked the question, I understood more about gears and THOUGHT I would get gears for sure....but I didn't understand the concept of stalls...This long thread has changed that...tks guys
Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

YESS weve broken through lol. With 2.73's a big converter will feel a little loose but will tighten up if u ever add gears. But anyway I think you would be happy with a 32-3400 stall converter lemons im sure will say 3600 and thats another great option but will be a little looser but not by much. Now theres 2 types of converters one is a cheaper route it is a stock converter with simply an adapter ring on the back, flimy and has a small clutch so they are known to break after a while the second one which is made by our sponsors are full billet converters which use a cnc housing and a custom size clutch to ensure durability. Most billet converters today are 245mm but circle d is a maker that has a 258mm im doing the 258 with a 3400 stall i'll still get a good flash and shift extension but it weill drive a little tighter than a 245mm counterpart in the same stall speed. also if you buy a stall from circle d or yank they will do a free restall within the 2 year warranty... meaning if you buy a 3200 and its great but later on you add gears or just wanna go bigger you can send it back to them and have it upped to a 3600,4000 etc for no charge. Heres some vids explaining how they are built, what goes into them and of course so launching shots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYNQgKyiIhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz1MrZ7YNDU

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...nce-stall.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-so-stall.html
Old 01-28-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am at work so just have access to my phone.. I have a lot to touch on along with some links you will find interesting and informative. I will post up when I get to my comp tonight.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds good..I just want this thing to be bought with ease...no worries...no regrets...
I'm not too sure about money...I would like to stay under 700 for parts....I've seen a wide range of $ with stalls. I've been ussing the ws6 store and don't understand the lingo of stall descriptions....tks
Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 199 Likes on 167 Posts

You guys are all missing the point, talking about 60' times, roll racing, shift extension, etc. The OP is talking about daily driving around town in stop and go traffic. He'd like his car to feel more responsive. A stall with his 2.73's is going to feel loose and sluggish in many circumstances in his situation.

I've loved my converters as much as anybody. But this guy needs to ditch the 2.73's first to get what he wants from his car. He's shopping for apples and y'all keep telling him how great oranges are.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
You guys are all missing the point, talking about 60' times, roll racing, shift extension, etc. The OP is talking about daily driving around town in stop and go traffic. He'd like his car to feel more responsive. A stall with his 2.73's is going to feel loose and sluggish in many circumstances in his situation.

I've loved my converters as much as anybody. But this guy needs to ditch the 2.73's first to get what he wants from his car. He's shopping for apples and y'all keep telling him how great oranges are.
Wow...their is someone who agrees on ditching gears first...I didn't understand!!! I didn't understand how a stall would get me the feeling I'm looking for my somewhat sluggish city driving. A stall, with 2:73s first in my opinion is a bad idea.. I keep reading about how slushy and loose my car would feel driving AROUND TOWN..they just don't want to here that, why would I want a somewhat small stall with 273s...then get the 342s or 73s and wish I'd gone with a bigger stall? I know jumping from 273s to a better gear would def. give me the feeling I'm looking for...THEN...I could see a stall coming into play...They don't get it, 2:73s are for fuel ecconomy and sluggish around town...Why match a great performance part (stall) with such shitty gears....seems like the opposite would make sense in this case..

Quick Reply: 3:73's or 3000 stall first?