Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
hhhhhaa...

!!
!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm all for crazy humor but I don't get.......
Old 01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My god.. is the search button broke when it comes to converter choices.

You want it to FEEL like it picked up a lot and hurt your mpg and put way more stress on a rear that is already weak.. get gears.

You want to actually pick up a ton while losing dead spots and not effect mpg once you hit lookup? Get a converter.

You MIGHT lose 2mpg maybe with a 3200 staying out of lock up all the time, under 45.

You do need to switch to 323 or 342 sometime but you can run very fast with stock gears and a converter.
Gears do little to nothing in an a4 when it comes to performance gains. Someone argue with me on this, please!!! Haha
Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

iI would have helped you a lot more but I'm on my phone.. Just wanted to say converter! That should be the first mod before anything, period.

my buddy with a full weight 98 trans am with 273s with just exhaust lid and ptc converter cuts 1.60-1.64 short times. if he ran in sixty degree weather instead of eighty he would be in the 1.5s.
BTW, it is a 4000 that he drives everyday. He has zero intentions of any other mods because it already runs awesome numbers cause of the stall and he doesnt want to lose his 25mpg by going to more gear or cam etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those are pictures of "stalls".

Where are you in Michigan? (I'm in the Sault) Are you driving it right now, or are these just spring time plans? If you are not driving it currently, try and find someone who will take you for a ride in a stalled car, then make your decision. I would help you out but I own a stick now, but have had 2 cars with 3 different converters (3400, 4000, 4200).
Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by super_fro_daddy
Those are pictures of "stalls".

Where are you in Michigan? (I'm in the Sault) Are you driving it right now, or are these just spring time plans? If you are not driving it currently, try and find someone who will take you for a ride in a stalled car, then make your decision. I would help you out but I own a stick now, but have had 2 cars with 3 different converters (3400, 4000, 4200).
southwest(southhaven ish) lakeshore.......yeah storage...I just ordered a ws6 hood from VFM fibergalss..When the roads are clear I'll be taking it in around the first of march for the hood, and gears.. I'm thinking I gotta go gears..I'm sure they'll be fun for what I'm looking for...I'm sure I'll do a stall soon..I just don't know if I want 3:42s or 3:73s..
Old 01-27-2011, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lol.. you are going to spend mony and get 342s.

Wow, I'm done with it. Hope you enjoy them!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=lemons12;14418563]Lol.. you are going to spend mony and get 342s.

Wow, I'm done with it. Hope you enjoy them![/QUOTE

your the only one really pushing the issue on a stall....you've had me read pages and pages trying to understand how they work and I think I get it..but, and correct me if you think I'm way off but....I'm more of a car look and sounds guy over super performance gains.....I think the stall would be a blast outside of town or in some city permitting situations....I love the way the car sounds and shifts through all of it's gears, especially 1-3rd....I want the same exact feeling accept maybe alittle faster....Then at that point, if the gears aren't enough..a stall would def. be my next option...regardless for city driving, the 2:73s aren't very fun....matched with a stall... possibly...but now that just took away from that those sweet 1-3 shift point rpm.... I want to keep the car exactly how it is now...I just need to accell through all my shift points alittle faster....So you would still reccomend a stall first for me??? remember all my driving is at or mostly through the drive to work under 45mph. All I'm saying is that I don't think I would see the benifit of a stall over gears for my Daily (shitty) city drive....my decision was between 342s or 373s and it looks like 373s from what I've seen...Sorry about long threads and questions...but I just got this car last year..sooooooo new to f-body modification...didin't know they had a mod for eveything you could possibly think of... just trying to figure **** out ya kow....
Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=justin hover;14419275]
Originally Posted by lemons12
Lol.. you are going to spend mony and get 342s.

Wow, I'm done with it. Hope you enjoy them![/QUOTE

your the only one really pushing the issue on a stall....you've had me read pages and pages trying to understand how they work and I think I get it..but, and correct me if you think I'm way off but....I'm more of a car look and sounds guy over super performance gains.....I think the stall would be a blast outside of town or in some city permitting situations....I love the way the car sounds and shifts through all of it's gears, especially 1-3rd....I want the same exact feeling accept maybe alittle faster....Then at that point, if the gears aren't enough..a stall would def. be my next option...regardless for city driving, the 2:73s aren't very fun....matched with a stall... possibly...but now that just took away from that those sweet 1-3 shift point rpm.... I want to keep the car exactly how it is now...I just need to accell through all my shift points alittle faster....So you would still reccomend a stall first for me??? remember all my driving is at or mostly through the drive to work under 45mph. All I'm saying is that I don't think I would see the benifit of a stall over gears for my Daily (shitty) city drive....my decision was between 342s or 373s and it looks like 373s from what I've seen...Sorry about long threads and questions...but I just got this car last year..sooooooo new to f-body modification...didin't know they had a mod for eveything you could possibly think of... just trying to figure **** out ya kow....
I'm pushing it because nothing makes an auto perform to its full potential more than a converter. I don't want my car to sound and look fast but not move, I want all of the above.

You ever heard a car throw a rev at you with a decent size converter in it? You ever heard one kick it with a healthy exhaust and scream through the rpms instead of lazily climb through 3000 rpms?

I get more looks because of my converter and exhaust than anything else.

I meant hope you enjoy it sincerely. I'm sure you will.. as much as a converter? Doubt it. But you don't know that yet and neither do I so.......
Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

your right lol...I'll be sure to pm you when their installed...Let me see the difference and I'll be sure to let you know if your right..you might be....**** you probably are...I just know these gears suck...
Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pushing it because nothing makes an auto perform to its full potential more than a converter.

You ever heard a car throw a rev at you with a decent size converter in it? You ever heard one kick it with a healthy exhaust and scream through the rpms instead of lazily climb through 3000 rpms?
I'm with this guy /\.....

I sat on my first (3400 2.1 STR) converter for months and finally had it installed, regretted waiting so long. Something that small shouldn't take more than 500 more rpm than it does now. Yank's SS3600 has 2.5 STR, to help tighten it up on the bottom end.

Did you see my earlier post about finding a complete 10 bolt for sale? You can find them for less than the price of gears (nevermind the cost of installing them). If I still had an auto I would let you try whatever I had in it out.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by super_fro_daddy
I'm with this guy /\.....

I sat on my first (3400 2.1 STR) converter for months and finally had it installed, regretted waiting so long. Something that small shouldn't take more than 500 more rpm than it does now. Yank's SS3600 has 2.5 STR, to help tighten it up on the bottom end.

Did you see my earlier post about finding a complete 10 bolt for sale? You can find them for less than the price of gears (nevermind the cost of installing them). If I still had an auto I would let you try whatever I had in it out.
500 rpm isnt bad at all i did gears first and you may like them at first but trust me ull want a stall i was on the fence on it because i had 2.73's now i have 3.42's and it is more fun but the stall will really wake the car up if i did it over again id do the opposite. btw what kind of stalll did u go with im currently looking at a 258mm 3400 circle d
Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Definitely go stall first - really wakes an auto car up. Makes it so much more fun to drive.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by justin hover
your right lol...I'll be sure to pm you when their installed...Let me see the difference and I'll be sure to let you know if your right..you might be....**** you probably are...I just know these gears suck...
When you get the gears you will be like lemons is an idiot... The sotp feeling is awesome. Gains not so much.

When you get the converter and especially hook, it will be like a light came down from the skies above.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you get the converter and especially hook, it will be like a light came down from the skies above.
<------
Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

man....what size converter you would recomend lemons?? you've read all the post...you know my daily driving situation...don't get too greedy but what size would I need then??? When I was on firebirdnation and even ls1 lt1 man....everyone said upgrade those shitty gears..they mentioned the gear change was better/funner for the daily driver....never too much talk about a stall first...so I was convinced...I come to this site...it's the complete opposite..and it's starting frustrate the **** out of me....I've never driven with a stall but the term" loose" is what I don't like when it would come to my mostly bumper bumper driving.. That term loose does remind me of that constant 1 gear kinda sound...while not enjoying the full rpm sound threw all the shift points...Just a hard decision
Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id get a stall. thats what these autos need badly. you should get a cooler, deeper pan and a trans go but itll be worth it.

gears imo arent worth the cost to what youll gain. if you want SOTP a stall will make you very happy.

listen to lemons on this one. i always do.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you get the converter and especially hook
It will feel like someone ran into the back of you, and off you go!!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by justin hover
man....what size converter you would recomend lemons?? you've read all the post...you know my daily driving situation...don't get too greedy but what size would I need then??? When I was on firebirdnation and even ls1 lt1 man....everyone said upgrade those shitty gears..they mentioned the gear change was better/funner for the daily driver....never too much talk about a stall first...so I was convinced...I come to this site...it's the complete opposite..and it's starting frustrate the **** out of me....I've never driven with a stall but the term" loose" is what I don't like when it would come to my mostly bumper bumper driving.. That term loose does remind me of that constant 1 gear kinda sound...while not enjoying the full rpm sound threw all the shift points...Just a hard decision
The reason is because this is mostly all ls1 owners.. ls1s respond extremely extremely well to stall converters.

A 3200 with a higher str would be extremely tight. It would only take around 1400-1500 rpms for a solid pickup and 2200 you would be getting to pretty good. The main difference is from a dig the lowest rpm you would see is around 3500. Even from a roll, depending on extensions, you would stay in your powerband. And I'm sorry, gears just cant do that. Yank is known for tight converters. I personally would choose ptc. You an get one shipped to your door with a cooler for 550$. I would all and tell them you want a 3200 that is tight around town. Ptc is an awesome company.
At 40-50 mph, depending on tune, it will hit lockup and will be same as stock, same mpg and all. Below that you MIGHT lose 2mpg but I doubt it.

It seems as you have this thought that gears will help acceleration more than a converter. This is 100% false, gears will not hold a candle to a converter.
Think of it like this.. when is the last time you say a stock stall bolt on fbody with gears cut a 1.6 short time? Never. When is the last time you have seen a bolt on stock gear fbody cut 1.5s with a nice converter? I can show you more than a handful.
And the sixty is ALL about 0-60 or whatever it may be.

I hate stock stall autos.. I will never own one again. Personally all my cars have or will have a smallest of a 3600 and that's only if I am going to spray it. Ls1s love a nice 4000 converter. I know this isnt what you think you want, just my preference.

Excuse mistakes, typing from phone..
Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Teching In

I´d go first with 3.73 then choose a converter and as stated above get a cooler, that´s the way I chose.

I recommend you to get a 3600 stall It´s very friendly for daily driving and the best of all You´ll have quick launches!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the thing though.. he has 323s.

You don't need a lower gear in an auto to run very very quick times. You do however need a converter.

It is a DD.. Why would you sacrifice the driveability of gears and a stall? Why not just get the huge gain a converter gives with the small effect it will have on driveability, instead of the tiny tiny gain gears will give and how much it will effect driveability above 50mph.

Quick Reply: 3:73's or 3000 stall first?