Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SS3600 install thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
+1... That's because you yell out "Jesus!" when the things go flying to an unknown (and never to be seen again) destination once you get them loose.

Here's hoping your converter bolts aren't torx headed..
I read that only 98 or 99 cars have torx bolts. Hopefully its true. Ill be finding out soon enough.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Look at these 2 pictures, see where the clip goes THROUGH the connector? Those two connectors are whats screwed into the side of the trans. They are hollow and the silver tranny lines plug into the center of them.
Sweet deal...ill get those bastards out
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

New trans cooler came today. I ordered this all aluminum one one...

#4120- 7½" x 20" x ¾" GVW 20,000 Hose fittings: ⅜" barb – Tube dia: ½"

Last edited by senicalj4579; 05-14-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I lost 4-5 from the pan and some out of the tail shaft
Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

doing mine now and I must say it is so much easier than I thought when pushing the m clips out off the like have a greasy towel behind them those clips will fly but if you position the towels tight they will stick right on them. Worked like a charm for me. M clips stuck right to the grease
Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Very Good thread, I think that you will help out a lot of people by taking the time to take pics and everybody giving tips that they know. I would recomend getting a good tunnel mount torque arm, my buddy has a transmission shop and says that A4 cars with stalls will cause enough torque to break the tail housing with the factory TA..
Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

I actually dont know why anyone would wanna bother taking those clips out. It was so easy unscrewing the lines. I could even un thread them with my fingers once I backed them out a bit. The bottom one was worse though. If anyone else dosent feel like messing with the stupid clips then I recomend this. That way you dont have to worry about loosing the damn things.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Finally behind the inspection plate to remove the TC bolts.

Once the first one is out take your wrench to spin the crank so you can get your next TC bolt.

The space was kinda limited so what I did was take my home made breaker bar to break the bolts free. Then they basically spun out by hand.

That was actually very easy

Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sometimes it is easier to just unscrew the lines instead of messing with the clips, but all the times I've done them it has been quick and easy removing the clips, only lost a few lol but I also have spares in my tool box, your tc swap is looking good so far, when are you expecting to have it done?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98 StealthZ
Very Good thread, I think that you will help out a lot of people by taking the time to take pics and everybody giving tips that they know. I would recomend getting a good tunnel mount torque arm, my buddy has a transmission shop and says that A4 cars with stalls will cause enough torque to break the tail housing with the factory TA..
Thanks I figure it would be a good help to someone.
Iv never heard of the issue with the TA. I guess I should look into that. My tranny mount is split also. So I probly should get one.

Originally Posted by ivan_key
Sometimes it is easier to just unscrew the lines instead of messing with the clips, but all the times I've done them it has been quick and easy removing the clips, only lost a few lol but I also have spares in my tool box, your tc swap is looking good so far, when are you expecting to have it done?
I forgot to add in the pic that if your up there looking to take the clips out, they are facing the wrong way, then you can turn the nut a little to pry it off. I found this out when I broke the nuts free. But I decided to just keep backing them out cause I didnt feel like adding a couple clips to the list lol. Im glad I did cause it was cake!
But I do have a question about that...I was entertaining the idea of teflon tape on the threads when I re install. Does it need it? I know its a flare but who knows if it would leak.
Done?! LOL! Im thinking a couple-few days maybe. Im taking my time. I have to re install the exhaust to so thats gonna take more time. I didnt get started till like 3-4pm today. It rained all day.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes reseal with a couple wraps of teflon. Not real thick though.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Next bellhousing bolts yeehaw! With a wobble socket and 2-3.5' of extension the bolts were VERY easy.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

It took forever to pry the trans apart to this point. It was STUCK! I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt come apart. But it looked like the dipstick tube wasnt helping so I had to get the bolt out and pop it out. Thanks to the wobble socket it was easy.

I had to pry one side then pry the other x 10. Up and down with the jack wiggling the trans side to side.

Finally! Separating the trans from the motor was by far the toughest part for me. It was being a bitch. ****!

I ended up having to get it off the jack and muscle it out from the car. It wasnt as heavy as I thought.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is perfect. i have pulled numerous 6 speed transmissions and those are cake. on those i actually uses a short extension through the hole in the tunnel from the inside of the car... but seeing this make me see everything im about to go through...

my list includes

the same trans cooler you got...
fti 3400 billet converter
trans go hd2 shift kit.
filter and gasket
and of course fluid.

Im excited to get mine going... maybe this week i will start it. just need free time.

What trans fluid did you go with. i was looking to go with a dex 3 synthetic but not sure what everyone runs...
Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

There it is, the pos flexplate that ill be replacing.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black99TransAm
This is perfect. i have pulled numerous 6 speed transmissions and those are cake. on those i actually uses a short extension through the hole in the tunnel from the inside of the car... but seeing this make me see everything im about to go through...

my list includes

the same trans cooler you got...
fti 3400 billet converter
trans go hd2 shift kit.
filter and gasket
and of course fluid.

Im excited to get mine going... maybe this week i will start it. just need free time.

What trans fluid did you go with. i was looking to go with a dex 3 synthetic but not sure what everyone runs...

Awesome! You got the flexalite? Its gonna fit perfect behind my SSRA.
I didnt get any fluid yet. I was thinking about going to GM and getting some good stuff if no one else has any. I know one thing is for sure that synthetic isnt recomended. But I think that advice was from Yank cant remember. Im gonna have to get some tomorro though cause its moving along
Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Oh and it will be dex 3 non synthetic that I get
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks like your having fun lol, the trans can be a pita to get broke away from the engine, lucky me the times I have done it has came right out, so do you mind adding to this thread your reasons for going with the ss3600, that's the one I'm prolly going to get for my new ta but just curious on what made you pick this one
Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Take a look at the rust on the pins for the trans. That passenger side was really rusted on there. Ill have to clean those up real good before the install.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Awesome! You got the flexalite? Its gonna fit perfect behind my SSRA.
I didnt get any fluid yet. I was thinking about going to GM and getting some good stuff if no one else has any. I know one thing is for sure that synthetic isnt recomended. But I think that advice was from Yank cant remember. Im gonna have to get some tomorro though cause its moving along
yeah i got the flexalite... and i may have to go to gm as well and get fluid then... some say synthetic but never heard any real discussion about it...
Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ivan_key
Looks like your having fun lol, the trans can be a pita to get broke away from the engine, lucky me the times I have done it has came right out, so do you mind adding to this thread your reasons for going with the ss3600, that's the one I'm prolly going to get for my new ta but just curious on what made you pick this one
About as much fun as one can have with a crushed disk in my lower back lol
This was hard to break apart probly cause its never been broken before. Its got 93k.

I did a year of thinking about the stall. The car is mainly a street car but still want it to pull off decent times at the track (for a street car) maybe a couple times a year. I dont really have plans for a cam so with stock cam for the street I see this being the best stall for me (for now). Even if I did wanna do a cam in the future this stall would still be good to work with. I also didnt wanna change my 3.23 gears so the ss3600 would be best imo. Another reason I went with this is I talked with Dave@Yank and he said this converter would be the best all around stall for my car meaning with current mods, gears, street duty, and track few times a year but still would be good to grow with if I wanted more mods. If I didnt give a **** about street driving and wanted all performance then I would have gone pt4000 and if all I wanted was a little kick in the *** for the street I would have gone ss3200. So I think this is a nice in between but maybe a little on the performance side
I also took into consideration that this 3600 would be a little easier on the trans than a 4000 would. (maybe not much but oh well)

Quick Reply: My SS3600 install thread