Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Pistol Grip shifter installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurst Pistol Grip shifter installed

Took some work and built a mount, but got it in there...sits a lil high but theres no "right" and it goes through all gear without hitting anything. lil help from Camscam came in handy too

Last edited by SuperSlow02; 03-15-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice, is that for a 700r? Im guessing you had to modify the center console?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Nope, th400. And yes, I had to cut a bit of it out, if I did it again I could probably cut less out. I'm goin to see if I can figure out a cover for it
Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a pic of my Hurst for my 4l80 and it was a pain to get it right. Your looks good to.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...Picture516.jpg
Old 03-17-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How complecated was the installation to the tunnel floorpan?
I want to use the exact same shifter with my TH400 convertion.
I like to see pics of your base install?
You shifter looks greate.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Randy, that was the installed height I was going for, but ended up a tad taller, but wasn't enough to make me remake it. Might try and make a shift boot or something to cover it...lol

I made mine out of aluminum plate, but if you'd like I can take pictures and send you the dimensions...any stiff material would be fine. My car was a 6spd so my tunnel would be different to start out with

Last edited by SuperSlow02; 03-17-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
Randy, that was the installed height I was going for, but ended up a taller, but wasn't enough to make me remake it. Might try and make a shift boot or something to cover it...lol

I made mine out of aluminum plate, but if you'd like I can take pictures and send you the dimensions...and stiff material would be fine. My car was a 6spd so my tunnel would be different to start out with

Yes i like to have some pics of what you did with the base of the shifter.
Mine is a A4 from factory so i know i have to fabricate on top of the factory mounting points. Thanks for your help
Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Basically I used the base as a starting point. then used 1/2 blocks to raise it to where I wanted then cut the plates and welded it all up. didnt care what it looked like since its under the console, or i woulda worked on it a lil better. Once you get a flat starting point, itll take 20mins to fab up the rest. if you already have mounting points with the auto...prolly be even easier
Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Randy, that was the installed height I was going for, but ended up a tad taller, but wasn't enough to make me remake it. Might try and make a shift boot or something to cover it...lol

I made mine out of aluminum plate, but if you'd like I can take pictures and send you the dimensions...any stiff material would be fine. My car was a 6spd so my tunnel would be different to start out with
Mine was a M6 car also , I made a cover to cover the opening in the shifter hole with the boot that bolts down to cover the tranny, Then i measured the 4 bolt holes in the shifter and the cut some 3/16" all tread rods about three inches long I put the all thread in the shifter bolt holes and used a nut on both sides so i can adjust the height of the shifter , the front of the shifter is about a inch lower than the rear.I then set the console in and with the all thread bolted to the shifter , i could adjust the shifter up and down and back to front and side to side,When i got it were i wanted it I marked the all thread were it was setting on the cover that i made to cover the tunnel, Then drill and bolted it down and i still could adjust the nut at the shifter to fine tune the angle that i wanted. I will try to get some pic tomorrow evening , i will haft to pull the console to do it.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Basically I used the base as a starting point. then used 1/2 blocks to raise it to where I wanted then cut the plates and welded it all up. didnt care what it looked like since its under the console, or i woulda worked on it a lil better. Once you get a flat starting point, itll take 20mins to fab up the rest. if you already have mounting points with the auto...prolly be even easier
That will work, but will be hard to fine tune adjustments, and trust me those shifter are tight in our console and will need to adjust it up & down to get the right angle so the shifter dont hit the dash. When i used the all thread to get it set i tighten it down and left the rods in .It very solid and no movement at all.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

wow...I didnt even think of that, much simpler and as you said, adjustable. very nice randy. Mine goes from park to 3rd without hitting the dash or console, so im good there. but yours does look cleaner sitting lower. Once I get it all back together I may give myself a lil more credit, I have a switch panel where the gear indicator is, so that might help the look a little more. I do need an ashtray cover though...didnt come with the console.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

wow...I didnt even think of that, much simpler and as you said, adjustable. very nice randy. Mine goes from park to 3rd without hitting the dash or console, so im good there. but yours does look cleaner sitting lower. Once I get it all back together I may give myself a lil more credit, I have a switch panel where the gear indicator is, so that might help the look a little more. I do need an ashtray cover though...didnt come with the console.
Mine was a little harder because mines a 4 speed and it has a longer stroke to pull back to first gear.Another trick i done to keep from cutting the opening for the shifter to wide was the remove the reverse lockout arm,The little arm that sticks out ,that you pull back to release. Mine was riveted on so i drilled it out and threaded it so when i need to remove the console lid i just screw it off and remove the upper console cover.If i had not done that i would had to cut a very large opening to clear the handle. I was thinking of a type of boot also.By taking a piece of 1/16" rubber and splitting it and run it down both sides of the shifter gluing to the inside of the console cover so i could not see down in the shifter . I like the pedestal that you made for your shifter, when you get it the way you want it you might be able to sale them so people want haft to go threw what we did. Very nice setup.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:58 AM
11 Second Club

Ah, didn't even think of yours being a 4 speed, I didn't have elongate mine much, just had to make it wider. Thanks for the compliments, appreciate it, I'd honestly just have to drop it maybe 1/4 of an inch or so and It would be perfect,
Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Shifter in park position

Shifter in high gear

Quick Reply: Hurst Pistol Grip shifter installed