Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a bump now car wont shift right!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a bump now car wont shift right!

Pretty much Im driving down this street about 25mph and it was a straight road so i decided to floor it and as soon as i do, well, there is a speed hump right there and i hit it kinda hard.

Well right after i hit it the Camaro (2000, Automatic, V6) wont shift outta first and the speedometer wont work. It would go up in RPMs and then as soon as a let of the gas they would drop back to idle, and when i gave it gas they would rev up to where it was before i let off. then with in about half a mile it starts shifting into second but wouldnt accelerate in second cause as soon as i give it gas it goes back in to first. then after about half a mile more it would shift very hard into second and if i gave it a very very little bit of gas it would accelerate in second but if i gave it a little more gas it would go back to first.

well i checked the fluid, im on the mark, i also let it sit for about 30 min and it now lags when it shifts and when it actually does the shift its pretty hard, it will pull in 1st, 2nd and 3rd... didn't go fast enough to test 4th cause it shift as soon as i give it gas while in 4th... also the speedometer just jumps around with in about 5 mph up and 5 mph down. it just feels very different.

no fluid leaks, not noises or anything like that either. also now it will only shift when i lit off the gas to let it shift and it lags keeping the RPM's up a bit before it dumps it in to the next gear. speedometer still jumps around. it will pull in all gears some times, lag some times having to make me let off the gas to let it shift.. still no fluid leak

if i floor the car it goes straight to first and hits the rev limiter but before i hit the rev limiter. also it feels like it cuts outta gear and come back on gear when i give it gas, again in first cause i cant floor it in second or anything else it doesn't stay in gear

2000 Camaro Automatic with ASR

help me please

what is wrong with my car could something inside have actually broken
Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The VSS (this feeds the speedometer) has to work correctly for shifts to occur.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Launching!

how do i replace that, is it easy? and is it replaceable?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the speed sensor is easy to replace. It is located at the right side of the tailhousing, near the back of the tranny. One 8mm head bolt holds it in. It is sealed with an o-ring.

You might want to get the car up in the air and see just what is damaged or not. '

g
Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Launching!

fixed it , thanks a lot fellas!
Old 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool. Was it the speed sensor? Knowing that might help someone else in your shoes later.....

g
Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

I have a problem that is similar to yours, LS1 v8, automatic t/a. Floored it at the light, not noticed the bumps, so you can imagine the wheel hop over that. well now when I floor it from a dig and give it WOT and it changes from 1st to 2nd around i think its 40-45 mph, doesnt seem like its shifting good. Getting like a grinding/rubbing/vibration for a second then changes gears. Doesnt do it at higher speed gear changes, just that 1-2 WOT shift.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Launching!

well im my case it actually wasn't the speed sensor, i changed it and nothing happened.. i changed the oil and filter, and i put 24oz lucas oil in the pan before i put the pan on the tranny,filled it up all the way and right after i started it i drove it slowly for about 15 min and made sure i hit all the gears and its been perfect, even at WOT

Quick Reply: Hit a bump now car wont shift right!