Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me on converters!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate me on converters!

Like what does lock up mean? And what makes the stall speed? Anything and everything. Yes i read the stickies
Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque converters have three basic ratings. Stall, shift extension and STR. The stall is the rpm at which the torque converter will flash to. Flashing a converter is basically just going WOT. The converter "flashes" to the rpm that the stall is set for.

Shift extension is the rpm that the engine falls to after a shift.

STR = stall torque ratio. Basically the higher the number the harder the converter will hit the tires. So higher numbers work better at the track while lower numbers might make it easier to find traction on the street.

So say you have a LS1 F-body with a 4L60E set to shift at 6200 rpm's. Now say you have a 3500 stall torque converter with a 2.5 STR and 4700 shift extension.

You take the car to the track and line up with the engine idling at 700 rpm's. The light goes green and you gun it! The 2.5 STR hits hard, throwing your head back allowing you to get a 1.6 60'. While that is happening the converter flashes from 700 rpm's to 3500 rpm's (the stall speed) and rises till the top of first gear. Once you hit 6200 rpm's the transmission shifts to second and the rpm's drop to 4700 rpm's (the converters shift extension) and you again begin to rise to 6200, where you will shift to third and once again drop to the 4700 rpm's for the final time.

Lockup is a gas saving feature that only applies to street driving at or above approx 40 mph. The higher the stall the higher the rpm's usually are as you cruise around town or on the highway. Say you get on the highway and cruise at 65 mph. When you first get there you might be at 2800 rpm's. Then as you stop accellerating and start to cruise a constant speed the converter locks and the rpm's drop to what they normally would be for whatever gears you have. So you may drop down to 2100 rpm's lets say.

So the lockup is great feature to have as it will save you gas. Also higher stalls cause the transmission temps to run hotter so most people get a transmission cooler.

I'm sure a vendor or mechanic can come in and give you a more technical and indepth explanation of torque converters. But hopefully this gives you the basics.

Last edited by darrensls1; 10-19-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Teching In

as much as ive read up on this, this is by far the best explanation ive come across.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree that's pretty much the jist off it
Old 10-19-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Incredibly solid reply, very good sir.

The only way anyone could add on to that is if circle D or someone came in here to elaborate a little on the science of what makes the TC do what it does.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Teching In

That response helped me
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW ive never really understoood it till now, STICKY this bitch haha
Old 10-21-2011, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

The best basic explanation I have ever seen! Great job!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Torque converters have three basic ratings. Stall, shift extension and STR. The stall is the rpm at which the torque converter will flash to. Flashing a converter is basically just going WOT. The converter "flashes" to the rpm that the stall is set for.

STR = stall torque ratio. Basically the higher the number the harder the converter will hit the tires. So higher numbers work better at the track while lower numbers might make it easier to find traction on the street.

So say you have a LS1 F-body with a 4L60E set to shift at 6200 rpm's. Now say you have a 3500 stall torque converter with a 2.5 STR and 4700 shift extension.

You take the car to the track and line up with the engine idling at 700 rpm's. The light goes green and you gun it! The 2.5 STR hits hard, throwing your head back allowing you to get a 1.6 60'. While that is happening the converter flashes from 700 rpm's to 3500 rpm's (the stall speed) and rises till the top of first gear. Once you hit 6200 rpm's the transmission shifts to second and the rpm's drop to 4700 rpm's (the converters shift extension) and you again begin to rise to 6200, where you will shift to third and once again drop to the 4700 rpm's for the final time.

Lockup is a gas saving feature that only applies to street driving at or above approx 40 mph. The higher the stall the higher the rpm's usually are as you cruise around town or on the highway. Say you get on the highway and cruise at 65 mph. When you first get there you might be at 2800 rpm's. Then as you stop accellerating and start to cruise a constant speed the converter locks and the rpm's drop to what they normally would be for whatever gears you have. So you may drop down to 2100 rpm's lets say.

So the lockup is great feature to have as it will save you gas. Also higher stalls cause the transmission temps to run hotter so most people get a transmission cooler.

I'm sure a vendor or mechanic can come in and give you a more technical and indepth explanation of torque converters. But hopefully this gives you the basics.
by far the BEST and SIMPLEST understandable explanation i have come across..this def needs to be stickied admins!!! great job man lol
Old 10-22-2011, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

By far the best and most easily understood explanation yet.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Fantastic!!! So who or what determines the STR?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Good advice
Old 10-22-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

we have a winnar
Old 10-22-2011, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Not possible to explain any better, good job.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1121
Fantastic!!! So who or what determines the STR?
The manufacturers of torque converters do. But for the most part the higher the stall speed the higher the STR.

2.0 or less is generally considered a smaller STR while 2.6 or above is a high STR. So 3000-3200 stalls tend to come with 2.0-2.2 STR while 3400-3800 stalls tend to have a 2.2-2.5 STR's and 4000+ usually have 2.5+ STR.

If you drag race at all with sticky tires then you want a higher STR. The only time you might want a smaller STR is if the car is street driven only or maybe if you spray right out of the hole.

Another point worth mentioning is how "loose" a converter is. This is a term used often to describe how the converter feels under mild acceleration. Lets say you are cruising around town. When you hit the gas lightly a big converter might make the car feel sluggish. At least until you go WOT. This is mostly affected by the stall speed. 3500 and lower will feel tight (when you give moderate gas the car accelerates decently) and 3800+ might feel a little loose (you give it moderate gas and the car accelerates slowly).

But do NOT let this sway you from a larger converter. You can offset the looseness with gears. 3.73's or 4.10's will make a world of difference. You can also get used to the looseness by simply adjusting your driving habits. Instead of 1/4-1/2 throttle off a red light maybe you go 1/2-3/4 throttle instead. You may also find reverse tends to cause your motor to stall. This is normal and can be easily offset with just a little brake stalling anytime you need to be in reverse.

IMO every LS1 on the road should have a 3600+ stall. 3600-4000 for street applications and Nitrous cars. 4200+ for weekend warrior/NA track cars. If you go too small on a converter size then it's just a matter of time before you regret that decision.

The best thing you can do for yourself and your car is buy a good converter brand, match the stall speed to your application/setup and ask the sponsors as many questions as you need to. Don't go cheap on a stall. It's just not worth it. Yank and Circle-D are both great choices. Call them up and tell them what mods you have and what the car is being used for. I guarantee they will recommend the best converter size for your needs.

And thank you all very much for all the kind words in this thread. I am just glad I could be of help.

Darren

Last edited by darrensls1; 10-23-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanx Darren that helped a bunch. I think I get it now!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1

I studied this a lot when I was shopping for my stall and I want to expand on STR a little bit:

STR is the maximum ratio a torque converter can multiply torque when you launch the car at the converter's stall speed.

Taking the example above, assume you have a 3600 stall speed with a 2.5 STR and you make 300 ft-lb of torque at 3600 RPM. When you launch the car and flash it to 3600 RPM, your 300 ft-lbs will be multiplied by the 2.5 STR. This means at launch you're putting down 750 ft-lbs of torque. This is why a stalled auto kicks *** off the line.

However, torque converters don't multiply torque at every RPM and every speed. STR only really affects the car when you launch from a stand still. After you start moving STR decreases sharply. And the higher the STR, the faster the will STR decreases.

Higher STR - Launches much harder, less efficient over rated stall speed.
Lower STR - Launches softer, more efficient over rated stall speed.

This is how I understand torque converters to work. Hopefully that's as clear as darrensls1's post.

Last edited by Golf&GM; 10-27-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Wow. That is the best information I've ever gotten. Thank you.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Geez man. How much time did you spend researching this subject. A truy perfect explanation. Thank you
Old 10-29-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Very good info! All of the LS1 cars I've own have been 6 spd. manuals except my current one which is an auto.

A few days ago while on my way to work I was being paced by a late model Mustang GT maybe a 2010/ 2011. We were going appoximately 70'ish on the freeway when he went WOT on me. Hard to admit defeat but I got spanked trying to keep up.

My car has no bolt ons besides a catback and lid. It's mostly used for cruising but I'm looking to get more out of the car at those speeds without going crazy with bolt ons. So to prevent getting the smack layed down on me what stall converter will give me the best bang for my style of driving?

Quick Reply: Educate me on converters!