Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E Limp Mode possible causes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4L80E Limp Mode possible causes?

I am having a heck of a time getting my 4L80E to work with my LS1 ECU, and I just want to see if anyoneone has ideas of experience with this.

This is what I have checked
Power from ECU to trans plug
Power from trans plug to solenoids
Varified Solenoid A and B are working and TCC is getting power
Hp tuners shows "correct 4L80E segment swap" no way for me to varify.
EFI connections harness is correct Pin to ECU
NO DTC's reported even when trans plug and Speed sensors unplugged

Trans worked prior to LS1 ECU (TCI box), trans fail from a few feet snapping a small piece of the bellhousing when swapping to a PY3600, which was an easy fix and VERY doubtfoul it hurt any internals.

I verified in my hp tuners scan that the trans stays in second gear constantly (limp mode) I don't know what else to check. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

BTW I called and talked to Gilbert at ACE transmissions (vendor here) and even though he doesn't know me from Adam he helped me and that speaks volumes about him. If I need work on this thing in the future he may be the one I call.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It is probably an easier issue to solve over the phone for sure.
Can you command any shifts with HPtuners?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jake you got a number, you can PM me it, or I can call you in the morn.

I haven't tried to command shifts in the hp tuners software, but when I attempt to manually put it into a gear still nothing, just 2nd.

I appreciate your response.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:04 PM
FormerVendor

I'll try to pm it in a bit. Gonna be a bit busy in the am taking my son to surgery. Meanwhile try to command a shift in the test section of HPTuners. Have you tried to ohm the solenoid control wires from the pcm to the trans connector?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hope your son is ok

Meanwhile try to command a shift in the test section of HPTuners
I turned on the Solenoid 1-2 shift and then the 2-3 shift, didn't hear the solenoids or anything happen on the scanner (car just turned to run, not running). Then I commanded a gear from the scanners A4 select, It actually changed gears on the scanner, but I have no idea if it did in the trans.

Have you tried to ohm the solenoid control wires from the pcm to the trans connector?
I tested the solenoid power wires (A,B, TCC) in the pan, they are getting 10.8 volts in the run position, they would be 12 when running Im sure. My friend who is a mechanic used his tool with me commanding the solenoids and said they are working properly.

So technically I haven't tested ECU to trans connector but since the trans wires have power I would think there good?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:34 PM
FormerVendor

The solenoid command wires (A&B) are ground, not power. You will see power on them that is feeding through the solenoids. If you disconnect the main connector at the trans they will only show ground when commanded.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jake I tested the wires on the Solenoids when I had the main plug connected (each solenoid has 2 wires), I just used some reference material on here and checked the voltage. I will call you tomarrow if thats ok, but what do you think I should try next.

I emailed Hp tuners support, but they are on Vaction till the beginning of the year. I hope to have someon look at my 4L80E segment swap to make sure its find tomarrow. I have heard the 4L80E can be run on a 4L60E segment, but I don't know the pros/cons.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update: Installed brand new GM 1-2 2-3 shift solenoids I can hear them click when commanding using the VCM controls, but upon key on the on position still shows second gear only. What is weird though is I can command different gears with the VCM control (hearing the solenoid click and watching the scanner gear change) and the gear changes.

I really thought this would fix the problems, any more ideas from anyone.

Could a faulty PCS (force motor) cause this second gear only mode??
Old 01-09-2012, 05:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Update: Installed brand new GM 1-2 2-3 shift solenoids I can hear them click when commanding using the VCM controls, but upon key on the on position still shows second gear only. What is weird though is I can command different gears with the VCM control (hearing the solenoid click and watching the scanner gear change) and the gear changes.

I really thought this would fix the problems, any more ideas from anyone.

Could a faulty PCS (force motor) cause this second gear only mode??
No PCS can't cause the issue unless the PCM sees it's dead and goes to default.

You aren't going to show anything but 2nd until you have pressure.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

You aren't going to show anything but 2nd until you have pressure.
Jake thanks for the response, so you mean I need to put the pan back on with fluid and crank her up, THEN change gears? Max line pressure on my tune is 90 (stock) and it shows 90 on trans pressure since its in limp mode.

Last edited by T/A KID; 01-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive the car and command the shifts via hp tuners scanner. What are the codes set to in the trans diag? Engine diag? Post the tune file. Maybe I can look it over. I learned a lot from Jake and slow 67 as to what certain codes set to no error will do.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Below is my tune, doesn't show any trans codes (even when I unplug the trans connectors)
P.S. Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

When I mean trouble codes set I mean in the tune. On engine dtc's under engine diagnostics po740 to 785 is set to ses enable and mil on second error in mine. Some of yours are set to no error. Mine would not shift out of first when in drive with a lot of the trans dtc's set to no error. I had to set them to ses enable and mil on second error. Look at really all the auto trans or vss dtc's and set them to report on second error.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

here is my tune if you want to review it. Look at the dtc's under engine diagnostics. Mine shifts all the gears in drive and works correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
current ta 4l80e.hpt (465.6 KB, 367 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Below is my tune, doesn't show any trans codes (even when I unplug the trans connectors)
P.S. Thank you
Set them to Mil on first error, if its set to 2nd error, it takes 2 key cycles.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^ This guy knows his ****. Mine works with it set like I have it on second error. but might change it to first error.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jake told me Slow67 knows his ****, said that was the guy who figured out the 4l60E segment swap to work with the 4L80E.

Cam I will do a compare with yours and setup my Trans DTC's to be the same as yours.
EDIT or change them to mil on first error (thats how my SD tune is setup to fail MAF) thanks Slow
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok got it done, for some reason I thought the DTC's were setup correctly (thats what I get for trusting my initial tune)

Mine would not shift out of first when in drive with a lot of the trans dtc's set to no error. I had to set them to ses enable and mil on second error. Look at really all the auto trans or vss dtc's and set them to report on second error.
Really? This is interesting to me, when you say first gear was yours really stuck in 2nd gear limp mode?

EDIT: Something that I discovered was my performance option was set to "Class 2" which is initially for trucks tow/haul (my segment swap was from a 4X4) I just switched this to "NO Switch" (f-body). Doubt this would an issue, but getting up early to see if anything changes.

Last edited by T/A KID; 01-09-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

It was first gear according to scanner and it felt like first. I could activate the shift to 2nd and third so I knew it was first.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Ok got it done, for some reason I thought the DTC's were setup correctly (thats what I get for trusting my initial tune)

Really? This is interesting to me, when you say first gear was yours really stuck in 2nd gear limp mode?

EDIT: Something that I discovered was my performance option was set to "Class 2" which is initially for trucks tow/haul (my segment swap was from a 4X4) I just switched this to "NO Switch" (f-body). Doubt this would an issue, but getting up early to see if anything changes.
Its only for the performance mode shift tables (aka tow/haul mode).

Quick Reply: 4L80E Limp Mode possible causes?