Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And my 4L80E swap begins

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, you have been busy. I have built a couple of 60's before and they are quite a bit different on the inside from this 80 your doing. It looks much more heavy duty in the gears, clutches, and everywhere else. I wonder where the fine line is between the 60 and 80 for holding hp and what the weight between the two are? Does it use more hp to run than the 60? Sorry to hijack, now I will go ...
Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Damn, you have been busy. I have built a couple of 60's before and they are quite a bit different on the inside from this 80 your doing. It looks much more heavy duty in the gears, clutches, and everywhere else. I wonder where the fine line is between the 60 and 80 for holding hp and what the weight between the two are? Does it use more hp to run than the 60? Sorry to hijack, now I will go ...
....waits for Jake or Slow67 to jump in....

But, the 80 is nothing like the 60. The 80 is based off the Th400 and many parts interchange. The actual weight difference according to Jake from Jake's transmission is about 30-40lbs dry and with no converter. Being that my 9.5" is not really different in weight than what would go in a 60, I can deal with that weight increase.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the comparison from a t56 to an 80? (assuming your weight comparison is from a 60 to an 80 that is..)

So it looks like for people going from ls1/60 to LQ/80 they'll be picking up about 120 pounds.. or 1 light passenger on their vehicle weight. Not bad really when you consider the abuse the 80 can take, and the budget power potential from an iron block lsx motor.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Would an 80 from a 6.5 diesel engine work or would it have to be from a gasser? Reason Im asking is I can get the trans in working condition for $150-$200.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you probably won't have the 12 o'clock bolt hole to bolt up to an LS engine. But that's not really an issue to worry about.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds good, I just didnt want to buy a trans that wouldnt work as this would be for a future build. I havent needed to do any research on this issue but the opportunity just presented itself today. I probably have little time to act on it if ya know what I mean. Thanks...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

In general '91-up works as long as they're not from a Jaguar, lol. There's just little differences that need to address depending on which one.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I cleaned and packaged up your drum for you today, and because I'm such a nice guy I even drilled the hole in the drum for you for the dual feeding process I'm looking forward to seeing this build progress!

The weight difference between the 60e and the 80e is about 35 pounds. Not sure what JRENIGAR means about the fine line between the two transmissions holding power.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
I cleaned and packaged up your drum for you today, and because I'm such a nice guy I even drilled the hole in the drum for you for the dual feeding process I'm looking forward to seeing this build progress!

The weight difference between the 60e and the 80e is about 35 pounds. Not sure what JRENIGAR means about the fine line between the two transmissions holding power.
I was trying to say, If you have xxx hp and the 60 goes bye bye, should you invest in a 80 or just rebuild the 60 to hold said hp? Ok, will a modded 60 hold 600rwhp reliably or is say 525-550rwhp the majic # to where there isnt much more to do to keep the lil sucker from going out again? Would 550rwhp be a good # to invest in an 80 and all the extra work involved or can the 60 churn right along with no sweat at that hp? Damn, I almost think "Im" drunk, but Im not... Me words right now. Kids, "Just Say No"...
Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds great!! Haha, didn't even put two and two together that you were the same guy I talked to on the phone yesterday. It makes sense with your knowledge of these transmissions, lol. I'll be sure to keep this going and updated every step of the way.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The hole in the drum is a bleed to prevent centrifugal apply and speed transbrake release. It has nothing to do with dual feeding.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Sounds great!! Haha, didn't even put two and two together that you were the same guy I talked to on the phone yesterday. It makes sense with your knowledge of these transmissions, lol. I'll be sure to keep this going and updated every step of the way.
lol nah man, that was Mike, our shop manager. He knows about 50 billion times more than me about transmissions, I'm fairly new myself to be honest, a greenhorn you could say. I mostly breakdown transmissions, ship stuff and do other general things while putting along with my training. An extreme crash course in transmission training that still takes many months if not years. As you know breakdown is the easy part, putting it back together and CORRECTLY, is the challenge. That's why I'm excited to see your thread go along, we're both kind of learning together. I figured I'd just throw my little pieces of tips and reminders to help you out there!

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
The hole in the drum is a bleed to prevent centrifugal apply and speed transbrake release. It has nothing to do with dual feeding.
As you can see, boss man here helps me quite a bit along the way, and I have quite a long road ahead of me, despite all that I have learned. Couldn't ask for a better teacher though!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was out at the shop for most of the day. Did a few transmission related things, but most of my time was spent cleaning up the undercarriage of the car (long story, but there's undercoating all under it that makes it look nasty. Anyways, started to make my own wiring harness using the plug that came with the tranny.

Name:  DSCN0797.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0798.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  109.5 KB

Then I tapped the passage to the reverse servo to put in a set screw per instructions for the transbrake

Name:  DSCN0801.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0800.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  70.7 KB

And finally I grinded the reverse servo pin a little as per the transbrake instructions.

Name:  DSCN0802.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  34.7 KB

Overall things are coming along. Been studying the wiring diagram I got from Slow67, the pcm pinout for a '98, and a plug diagram for the plug I have for the 4l80e. I'm pretty sure I have it figured out and labeled everything accordingly. I bought some pins from mouser electronics to attach the wiring to the PCM and will be finishing the harness up next chance I get.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

The only thing I would have done was upgrade to the later style plug. Otherwise it looks like you got it going your way. I drove mine to and from work yesterday. Put about 40 miles on it. I am getting the motor and trans tune slowly but surely to where I want it. I love being able to put the shifter in drive and it shift on its own. Its almost like my truck but with about 450 more hp, lol. You stomp it in 4th and it downshifts to 3rd and boost comes up and the car goes. I know I am on borrowed time with my junkyard 80, but when it starts slipping I will pull it apart and fix whats broken. Between this thread and the links its helpful information. Keep the info coming. Josh
Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree about the plug, but didn't realize it was the later style until I started looking for the wiring/colors/location on the diagrams I have. But it is a budget build and it will work this way, lol.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Budget my ****, lol. Mine is budget, but yours will be done right once.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Budget my ****, lol. Mine is budget, but yours will be done right once.
Haha, budget as in I'm not paying for a $3,000+ 4l80e and can almost do it for the price of the 6 speed parts I sold.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Haha, budget as in I'm not paying for a $3,000+ 4l80e and can almost do it for the price of the 6 speed parts I sold.
I gotcha. Mine was budget as in as cheap as I could do it.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I gotcha. Mine was budget as in as cheap as I could do it.
I was thinking of doing the same thing as you...but I kept thinking, lol. I wanted a shift kit and saw jakes VB kit. Then I saw his transbrake setup which includes the VB mods for not much more money. Then I decided I might wanna run nitrous. The combination of nitrous and the transbrake brought me out of the realm of a budget converter and had to go billet, lol. That's most of my build right there. For the cost of just the transbrake I could of had both a decent converter and the VB kit. But, it's a good thing I went with the transbrake, or I wouldn't have opened up the tranny and seen the cracked direct drum! At least I'm saving money on an actual rebuild and making my own wiring harness!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

I was thinking of doing the same thing as you...but I kept thinking, lol. I wanted a shift kit and saw jakes VB kit. Then I saw his transbrake setup which includes the VB mods for not much more money. Then I decided I might wanna run nitrous. The combination of nitrous and the transbrake brought me out of the realm of a budget converter and had to go billet, lol. That's most of my build right there. For the cost of just the transbrake I could of had both a decent converter and the VB kit. But, it's a good thing I went with the transbrake, or I wouldn't have opened up the tranny and seen the cracked direct drum! At least I'm saving money on an actual rebuild and making my own wiring harness!
Things happen for a reason. It would have sucked to put it together and it not go into gear or be slipping. I am very lucky that mine works. Screw nitrous go procharger or turbo. I am considering selling my procharger eventually and going 91mm turbo. I guess I like working on this heap, lol.

Quick Reply: And my 4L80E swap begins