Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E shift solenoid question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 4L60E shift solenoid question

On my '00 SS, the service engine light came on, and when scanned came up with a P0756 or shift solenoid B CKT performance or stuck open. It did feel like it was slipping on the drive home, but has not done it since. Looking through the manual, it looks like the solenoids are bypassed in the regular drive position. So, the question is, can I drive it in regular drive for now, and also, how hard is shift solenoid B to replace ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a stall converter? If so,have the code turned off with LS1 edit.
If not,there are two identical solenoid at the back of the vavle body with the pan removed.The "B" (2-3) solenoid is the closest to the passenger side,"A" (1-2) is closest the driver side.I would go ahead and repalce both as they are not that expensive.Spring clips hold them in place that can be removed with a small screw driver.
The "slipping" you're noticing,is most likely just the transmission shift pattern getting screwed up due to the malfunctioning solenoid.Probably more like a 1-2-2-1 or a 4-3-3-4 pattern depending on which way the solenoid is failing,or maybe it feels like it is starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Tony
Old 03-26-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 99 did that a couple of weeks ago after about a 50 mile interstate trip with the cruise set on 70 and the tranny in OD. When I took off from a few lights near my house, it felt like the 1-2 and 2-3 shift was a little out of the ordinary. I reset the code with A-Tap, let the car sit over night and it hasn't come back and all the shifts seem normal now. The car has a Yank ST3500 converter in it. I've had that converter in another car for over 10K miles and in this one for over 7K miles and that was the first time I've ever set a tranny code. If you do a search on P0756 here, you will see a lot of posts about that code. I would just reset the code and see if it comes back before you change the solonoid.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

im having a similar problem....except im getting a completely coincedental P0135 o2 sensor heater circuit code that doesn't want to be fixed.....

could a screwed up solenoid delay and/or soften the downshifts????when i get on the car i can feel a distinct delay between the 4-3 and 3-2 shifts...this is a recent occurrence.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 AM
11 Second Truck Club

can these solenoids go out and NOT throw a code?

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=418757

thanks for any input...
Old 05-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Don't know about the codes but those solenoids are easy to replace. Get a friend to help you, use a prybar on the sucker and take out the snap ring and it'll come right out.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

One of the solenoids has slightly spring loaded components behind it, can't remember if it's the A or B. Be sure to retain pressure against the solenoid as you unclip the retainer and just wiggle it out slowly.

Trending Topics

Old 05-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

I just changed mine, the solenoid on the drivers side is the one that has a spring behind it, just pull the clip and hold the solenoid, you'll feel it wanting to push out, pull it out then disconnect the wire.

Kevin
Old 05-30-2008, 09:26 PM
11 Second Truck Club

what issues did you have to make you change them?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

On the 3rd pass of the day on the 1-2 shift it went to neutral, then on the next pass it started out in 2nd, did that 1 more time. Never got any codes. With reading about other peoples problems I decided to try replacing the solenoids, they were only $27. Been to the track a couple of times since and it hasn't started in 2nd but after 5 passes coming back on the return lanes it started clunking when it would shift and surge up to 2500 or so then lug back down???? Shut it off and it was fine, even did another pass??? I'm still searching for an answer to whats going on? I think theres a couple of other solenoids I could replace but I hate to just throw parts at it.

Kevin
Old 05-31-2008, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chargedvx6
One of the solenoids has slightly spring loaded components behind it, can't remember if it's the A or B. Be sure to retain pressure against the solenoid as you unclip the retainer and just wiggle it out slowly.
Not to be annoying, I found it easier to remove the plug b4 the solenoid. Once you have a spring in one hand and a solenoid in the other it can be tricky to unplug.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Teching In

i know this i an old post, but i have my own problems with my 4l60e, i did a rebuild, put in a shift kit and a 3000 stall, it wants to start out in second, if i manually drop it down to 1st it feels like the brakes are being held down. i thought it might have been a solenoid but i still have 4th? any ideas on what my problem is?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Have the stall code turned off.

Quick Reply: 4L60E shift solenoid question