4l60e rebuild, what should it cost? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Automatic Transmission 4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e rebuild, what should it cost?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 PM
  #1  
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
TZ2884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 238
Default 4l60e rebuild, what should it cost?

I've got a regal with a 5.3 (mild cam) and a 4l60e. The transmission is flaring/slipping on the 2-3 shift. I've looked at getting a "new" 60e through multiple companies but I think I'd rather have mine rebuilt locally just in case I have any problems. I've talked to all the local shops and have heard great things about one guy in town. My brother has worked with him and seems to think he'll give me a good price. However, I've talked to the guy and I can't seem to get a solid price or even ballpark price on having it rebuilt. I guess my question is;
what should I expect? What would be a normal price for removing a 4l60e fixing and making a couple upgrades, putting in a new converter and re installing it?
TZ2884 is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 PM
  #2  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 224
Default

Originally Posted by TZ2884 View Post
I've got a regal with a 5.3 (mild cam) and a 4l60e. The transmission is flaring/slipping on the 2-3 shift. I've looked at getting a "new" 60e through multiple companies but I think I'd rather have mine rebuilt locally just in case I have any problems. I've talked to all the local shops and have heard great things about one guy in town. My brother has worked with him and seems to think he'll give me a good price. However, I've talked to the guy and I can't seem to get a solid price or even ballpark price on having it rebuilt. I guess my question is;
what should I expect? What would be a normal price for removing a 4l60e fixing and making a couple upgrades, putting in a new converter and re installing it?
you can rebuild yourself with basic upgrades for $400 to $500 range. You can buy a rebuilt transmission with basic upgrades for around $1000. Considering it takes maybe 8 to 12 hrs to pull and install I'd say around $1700 to $2000 to have someone pull, rebuild, and install your transmission.
animuL is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 PM
  #3  
Banned
iTrader: (5)
 
mred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wylie,Tx 75098
Posts: 649
Default

R&R
the price could be any where from 500-3500
i just spent $750 for a 600hp rebuild.
i felt really weird about the build because the transmission hadnt even been run the a washer.
so i had my trusted transmission man look at it and he showed me mismatched clutches and used parts.
my transmission guy said he would love to rebuild my transmission for $750
mine was a running driving trans with burnt 3-4 clutches thats all that was wrong with it.
mred is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
  #4  
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
TZ2884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 238
Default

Originally Posted by animuL View Post
you can rebuild yourself with basic upgrades for $400 to $500 range. You can buy a rebuilt transmission with basic upgrades for around $1000. Considering it takes maybe 8 to 12 hrs to pull and install I'd say around $1700 to $2000 to have someone pull, rebuild, and install your transmission.
Wow 8-12 hours? Is that including the time spent rebuilding it? I'm almost certain I could pull mine with another set of hands in just a couple of hours. Maybe I should just plan on doing it that way. I just would like the mechanic to do it so that he can't blame anything on anybody else.
TZ2884 is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:05 PM
  #5  
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
TZ2884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 238
Default

Originally Posted by mred View Post
R&R
the price could be any where from 500-3500
i just spent $750 for a 600hp rebuild.
i felt really weird about the build because the transmission hadnt even been run the a washer.
so i had my trusted transmission man look at it and he showed me mismatched clutches and used parts.
my transmission guy said he would love to rebuild my transmission for $750
mine was a running driving trans with burnt 3-4 clutches thats all that was wrong with it.
I'd love to find someone that wanted to rebuild mine for $750. Most prices I've heard have been more than double that.
TZ2884 is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 PM
  #6  
Moderator
 
mrvedit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6,161
Default

Originally Posted by animuL View Post
you can rebuild yourself with basic upgrades for $400 to $500 range. You can buy a rebuilt transmission with basic upgrades for around $1000. Considering it takes maybe 8 to 12 hrs to pull and install I'd say around $1700 to $2000 to have someone pull, rebuild, and install your transmission.
A "rebuilt for $1000" seems optimistic. On the other hand 8-12 hours seems long for an R&R. However, $1700-$2000 seems right on.
Make sure the local builder is experienced with aftermarket parts. If not, you should consider one from one of the sponsor here.

IMHO mred tried to "get a deal" and got burned. (Let me smile again.)
mrvedit is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:07 PM
  #7  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 224
Default

A couple hrs to pull your trans with an extra set of hands.... Thats two hours for you plus two for them, times two to rei.stall puts you at eight hrs... If everything goes perfect. So yeah, eight to twelve hrs is realistic.
animuL is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 PM
  #8  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (51)
 
projectX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 998
Default

It definitely takes a bit to pull if you never did it before - but you could do it. Make sure you got the right tools and a lot of extensions.
projectX is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 PM
  #9  
Moderator
 
mrvedit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6,161
Default

The $120 trans jack I bought from Harbor Freight was GREAT. (Don't get their cheaper one.)

Name:  IMG_0937.jpg
Views: 10127
Size:  203.1 KB

Like projectX said, you need 2 ft of extensions to reach the upper bell housing bolts after tilting the engine/trans down a bit.
I can swap the trans in under 5 hours and only need 15 minutes of help (for safely sake).
mrvedit is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 PM
  #10  
Banned
iTrader: (5)
 
mred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wylie,Tx 75098
Posts: 649
Default

Originally Posted by TZ2884 View Post
I'd love to find someone that wanted to rebuild mine for $750. Most prices I've heard have been more than double that.
as my guy said it can be done but most will want to try and screw you over regardless and the build i got was a tote the note lot build (in his eyes)
only because i only had 3-4 clutches slipping the rest was fine.
$750 would be a good basic build (should be)
most will want to charge $1000 thats if you pull it and take it to them.

good luck with your decision
mred is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 PM
  #11  
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
TZ2884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 238
Default

Originally Posted by animuL View Post
A couple hrs to pull your trans with an extra set of hands.... Thats two hours for you plus two for them, times two to rei.stall puts you at eight hrs... If everything goes perfect. So yeah, eight to twelve hrs is realistic.
Makes sense. I guess it just sounds like a really long time.
TZ2884 is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 PM
  #12  
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
TZ2884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 238
Default

Originally Posted by mred View Post
as my guy said it can be done but most will want to try and screw you over regardless and the build i got was a tote the note lot build (in his eyes)
only because i only had 3-4 clutches slipping the rest was fine.
$750 would be a good basic build (should be)
most will want to charge $1000 thats if you pull it and take it to them.

good luck with your decision
Yeah I've heard that they'll try to get you. I guess they can easily do it too considering you can't really tell what the hell they did until somebody goes back in there.

Thanks too, it looks like I might need some luck.
TZ2884 is offline  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 PM
  #13  
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
TZ2884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 238
Default

Thanks for the advice mrvedit. I have a little more room than an f body (regal) so hopefully it won't take as long. If you have a 4l60e I think $120 is a very practical investment considering how often 4l60e's seem to fail.
TZ2884 is offline  
Old 05-23-2012, 12:19 AM
  #14  
Moderator
 
mrvedit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6,161
Default

Originally Posted by TZ2884 View Post
Thanks for the advice mrvedit. I have a little more room than an f body (regal) so hopefully it won't take as long. If you have a 4l60e I think $120 is a very practical investment considering how often 4l60e's seem to fail.
I'm building and rebuilding them just to experiment and for "fun". Haven't had one of my builds fail - yet. I did ruin a valve body last week because I pinched a washer between it and the case. Last year I was pulling the engine with the trans, got that down to about 8-9 hours. Just pulling the trans is quicker now.
mrvedit is offline  
Old 05-23-2012, 12:43 AM
  #15  
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
TZ2884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 238
Default

Maybe fail wasn't the best word but there seems to be no shortage of problems with them. Look at how many threads there are just in this forum.

On a different note, and a question that may deserve it's own thread;
What parts should be upgraded? I see things about shift kits (which are good? Which are garbage?)corvette servos, sunshells, etc?
I'm sure it would depend on the engine but are some of these parts just no-brainers?
TZ2884 is offline  
Old 05-23-2012, 02:44 AM
  #16  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (95)
 
01ssreda4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turnin' Wrenches Infractions: 005
Posts: 24,086
Default

Originally Posted by mrvedit View Post
The $120 trans jack I bought from Harbor Freight was GREAT. (Don't get their cheaper one.)
You speak the truth

I've been quoted as high as $1500 locally for a bench rebuild (no R+R) for stock hp levels , and the build I chose was from a highly recommended builder was $1050 with several upgrades over stock. I would never pay for a R+R if I could do it myself. So yeah, prices will vary....
01ssreda4 is offline  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 AM
  #17  
Moderator
 
mrvedit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6,161
Default

Originally Posted by TZ2884 View Post
Maybe fail wasn't the best word but there seems to be no shortage of problems with them. Look at how many threads there are just in this forum.

On a different note, and a question that may deserve it's own thread;
What parts should be upgraded? I see things about shift kits (which are good? Which are garbage?)corvette servos, sunshells, etc?
I'm sure it would depend on the engine but are some of these parts just no-brainers?
I think most of the failures are people taking pre 2002 (and especially pre 1998) 4L60E and expecting them to survive behind their 400+HP LS engines. Without a rebuild and upgrades they WILL NOT.

The parts that should be upgraded are mostly no-brainers and only cost an additional $400:
1. Sunshell - use the Sonnax Smartshell ($75) or The Beast ($50)
2. Borg Warner dual-cage Forward Sprag ($40)
3. Corvette Servo ($20)
4. 5-gear Planetaries - GM/ACDelco only, but cheap now ($70 and $80)
5. A quality 3/4 clutch pack with 7 or 8 frictions. Different builder have different preferences, but figure $80.
6. Transgo HD2 Shift kit ($80). The Sonnax is probably good too but a bit more ($140).

Hopefully I didn't miss anything obvious here. (I'll edit it if I did.)
Some rebuild kits incude many/most of these parts.

There are quite a few other optional parts, but it is more important to:
7. Have the valve body rebuilt by a pro, or get a rebuilt one.
8. Install a new separator plate - Transgo makes a good one.
9. Replace any plastic accumulator pistons with metal or Sonnax pinless.
mrvedit is offline  
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cumming GA
Posts: 309
Default

Hey my man! If you are wanting to do the job yourself i understand, just remember that you need the special tools to do this job.

If you needed help with a new re-build; a 4L60E Level 2 rated for 500HP with converter and free shipping, waived core charge for $1475.00

You might want to look into a rebuild kit as well. Let me know what your application is for, and I can help point you in the right direction.

Thanks,


Originally Posted by TZ2884 View Post
I've got a regal with a 5.3 (mild cam) and a 4l60e. The transmission is flaring/slipping on the 2-3 shift. I've looked at getting a "new" 60e through multiple companies but I think I'd rather have mine rebuilt locally just in case I have any problems. I've talked to all the local shops and have heard great things about one guy in town. My brother has worked with him and seems to think he'll give me a good price. However, I've talked to the guy and I can't seem to get a solid price or even ballpark price on having it rebuilt. I guess my question is;
what should I expect? What would be a normal price for removing a 4l60e fixing and making a couple upgrades, putting in a new converter and re installing it?
maddoglou454 is offline  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM
  #19  
Moderator
 
mrvedit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6,161
Default

Originally Posted by maddoglou454 View Post
Hey my man! If you are wanting to do the job yourself i understand, just remember that you need the special tools to do this job.
All very true. While I am happy to help people with their own rebuilds, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just trying to save money. Besides the tools, 1st timers are likely to make a mistake or overlook something. That is then costly, time consuming and very frustrating. If like me, you want to rebuild it for fun and can afford the tools, time, mistakes, parts, etc, then go for it; but not because you have to. (You should also practice first on spare trans you buy cheap on CL.)

What I meant is that you could help your local builder select a performance rebuild kit that has the premium parts you want. Lou and the other sponsors can often put such a kit together for you with the exact parts you want; plus add their suggestions.
mrvedit is offline  
Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 PM
  #20  
Launching!
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
TZ2884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 238
Default

Originally Posted by maddoglou454 View Post
Hey my man! If you are wanting to do the job yourself i understand, just remember that you need the special tools to do this job.

If you needed help with a new re-build; a 4L60E Level 2 rated for 500HP with converter and free shipping, waived core charge for $1475.00

You might want to look into a rebuild kit as well. Let me know what your application is for, and I can help point you in the right direction.

Thanks,
I'll send you a pm.
TZ2884 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e rebuild, what should it cost?


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: