Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with 4L60-E rebuild prices?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experience with 4L60-E rebuild prices?

Transmission work is out of my league in terms of capability, so I figure it's best left for an experienced performance shop (I'll be using Tick Performance, a local LSx-based shop).

Any idea on what I can expect to pay for a trans refresh? I'm just gonna have it rebuilt/refreshed to OEM standards when it's pulled for a stall and cooler.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

why not have it built? a guy built mine for $1500 and its holding up great.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
why not have it built? a guy built mine for $1500 and its holding up great.
If it's gonna be about the same price-wise, I'll consider it. Otherwise, not happening. I retract saying it will be done at the same time it's pulled for a stall and cooler. Not necessarily.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were in your shoes I would learn what the first stock items that break are and what they cost to replace while its getting rebuilt.

I am still learning stuff like that on this platform so I cant point you to those most likely culprits to ruin your day but the last platform I was into $400-500 in parts would give a huge safety margin compared to a stock rebuild and a hundred dollar upgrade made it somewhat stronger for a budget build
Old 09-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Might as well build it up so when you upgrade your top end. I paid $800 in parts and $800 in labor.. Yank stall was another $535 shipped to my front door. GL
Old 09-01-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Do it right the first time. If you don't have the money for a built one wait a little while longer. Theres no worse feeling than knowing that if you waited longer you'd have something better.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Do it right the first time. If you don't have the money for a built one wait a little while longer. Theres no worse feeling than knowing that if you waited longer you'd have something better.
I normally hate when people tell me or someone else to "do it right the first time" but in this case, he's correct. If you're at a point where you're considering a higher stall converter, I'm assuming you have more mods.

You should consider hard part upgrades such as new sunshell, likely new reverse input drum, sleeved input drum, 7 or 8 count 3-4 clutch pack assembly. Dual cage sprag, new low roller clutch, Corvette servo, and consider a TransGo-HD2 kit. Hydraulic upgrades are important, do not skimp out on them.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
I normally hate when people tell me or someone else to "do it right the first time" but in this case, he's correct. If you're at a point where you're considering a higher stall converter, I'm assuming you have more mods.

You should consider hard part upgrades such as new sunshell, likely new reverse input drum, sleeved input drum, 7 or 8 count 3-4 clutch pack assembly. Dual cage sprag, new low roller clutch, Corvette servo, and consider a TransGo-HD2 kit. Hydraulic upgrades are important, do not skimp out on them.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The price of all the suggested parts is LESS than the labor cost of removing and installing the trans.

new sunshell: Sonnax Smart Shell is $75; The Beast is $50
likely new reverse input drum: $65 for Chinese ones which are fine; $100 for ACDelco. With a new reverse drum, you now have the option of using a wider band too which is good. Wider band is extra $10.
sleeved input drum: The Sonnax sleeve kit is $40, but you also need an old-style aluminum forward piston them, maybe $10.
7 or 8 count 3-4 clutch pack assembly: Ask builder to use a 4l65E rebuild kit as that comes with a 7-friction clutch. Perhaps an extra $20 over a 4l60e rebuild kit.
Dual cage sprag: The Borg Warner sprag is about $35.
New low roller clutch: about $25
Corvette servo: about $15 for Chinese, $30 for US made
TransGo-HD2 kit: about $80 plus 1-2H labor time to install it. You might find just a $25 Sonnax boost valve to be enough and trivial to install. In any case you need some type of boost valve to increase line pressure.

Quick Reply: Any experience with 4L60-E rebuild prices?