Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing my Jakes 4l80e swap soon. Anything I'm missing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slow67
It's not that straight forward. The shift pattern is backwards, TCC strategy is a little different, different gear ratios, etc, so those hurdles have to be overcome.
Is there a "plug & play" solution for this ?

I'm not a "rocket scientist" on automotive electronics .

Thanks !
Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
Is there a "plug & play" solution for this ?

I'm not a "rocket scientist" on automotive electronics .

Thanks !
There are stand alone controllers that I think Jakes Performance supplies, but to get it to work with the ls1 fbody pcm is tricky from everything I'm seeing. So far it seems that what is needed is a segment swap on your tune file and repinning the connector to the transmission. Slow67, is there anything else that is needed to complete the swap from a PCM/Tune prospective? I keep hearing about a relay, but not sure if that is needed if you do the segment swap
Old 10-24-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by willizm
There are stand alone controllers that I think Jakes Performance supplies, but to get it to work with the ls1 fbody pcm is tricky from everything I'm seeing. So far it seems that what is needed is a segment swap on your tune file and repinning the connector to the transmission. Slow67, is there anything else that is needed to complete the swap from a PCM/Tune prospective? I keep hearing about a relay, but not sure if that is needed if you do the segment swap
I see, at the bottom of your posts, that you have a 2001 T/A running a Stage 5 4L80E from Jakes Performance.

How did you do yours ?

Thanks !
Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM
9 Second Club

Well I'm still pulling things together. I have hp tuners and reached out to their support with a copy of my tune file to have them do a segment swap. So I have that. I also reached out to slow67 for instructions on repinning the factory harness and setting up a relay. I'm hoping that will be it, but I'm not certain it is and I haven't heard a whole lot if that is all to do. I may reach out to my tuner (Mikey at straight line) to see what his opinion is.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I'm still pulling things together. I have hp tuners and reached out to their support with a copy of my tune file to have them do a segment swap. So I have that. I also reached out to slow67 for instructions on repinning the factory harness and setting up a relay. I'm hoping that will be it, but I'm not certain it is and I haven't heard a whole lot if that is all to do. I may reach out to my tuner (Mikey at straight line) to see what his opinion is.

Well, the good news is that you aren't the first person making this swap. So, it is a matter of finding the right answers, like I am trying to do, too.

Please post up pics as your 4L80E swap progresses.

Thanks !
Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
Well, the good news is that you aren't the first person making this swap. So, it is a matter of finding the right answers, like I am trying to do, too.

Please post up pics as your 4L80E swap progresses.

Thanks !
Will do, I know there are a ton of swap threads out there. Have you seen any real helpful ones because at a point this swap is cryptic at best. I have help from slow67 but I'm still at the point of gathering info and parts. My trans is being shipped shortly from Jakes so I got that going for me
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Will do, I know there are a ton of swap threads out there. Have you seen any real helpful ones because at a point this swap is cryptic at best. I have help from slow67 but I'm still at the point of gathering info and parts. My trans is being shipped shortly from Jakes so I got that going for me

These are what I have found so far . . .

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-required.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ap-begins.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...740-p2761.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...wap-codes.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ap-issues.html

Anyone PLEASE feel free to give other LINKS!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have all your parts. Cut the ears off off the bellhousing. Make a notch in the underbody brace of the car to clear the transmission electrical connector. Install everything. Follow slow67's guide to get the pcm to control the trans. Delete a couple of codes which he also tells you which ones to delete. I used the 4l80 dipstick from madman. Other than that there really isn't any surprises.

I didn't purchase any additional harness other than the one for the VSS, two wires that go into the PCM connector also comes labeled and tells you what pin it goes into. No segment swap was needed. My tuner tuned it just like he would a 4L60.

Stock 4l60 shifter cable, linkage, and bracket all worked. You have to elongate the holes some on the bracket to bolt it up to the trans and then adjust the shifter cable to make sure you can get into all the gears. Can't remember right now where the instructions for that is.

My bmr crossmember touched my pan so I had to clearance it. Everything is pretty straight forward. Like I said the main things to do are install the VSS connector, follow slow67's guide everything else is pretty much just installing the trans itself.

edit:
cable adjustment

Shift Cable
NOTE: This procedure applies to 4L60-E and 4L80-E transmissions.
1. Place the transmission in park and apply the parking brake.
2. Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands.
3. On the shift cable end slide the black retaining clip forward just enough to allow the white lock button to be out.
NOTE: Do not push the white lock button completely out.
4. Push the white lock button out just far enough to free the metal core adjust body inside the core.
5. Inspect the core adjust body for dirt or debris that may restrict its travel.
6. If there are any restrictions found the shift cable end should be washed with soap and water. If after cleaning the cable the travel of the core adjust body is still restricted the shift cable assembly must be replaced.
7. Lower the vehicle, turn the ignition switch ON and move the transmission lever from park to one-to-ten times.
8. Place the shift lever in park and turn the ignition switch OFF. Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands.
9. Make sure the transmission is in mechanical park by rotating the control lever clockwise until it stops.
10. Push the white lock button in to secure the core adjuster body adjuster and slide the black retainer clip rearward until it covers the white lock button and locks in place over the shift cable end.
11. Lower the vehicle and turn the ignition switch ON.
12. Move the shifter through the gear ranges and ensure that the light comes on under the shift column letter when the shifter is positioned under that letter.
13. Ensure that the engine starts only when the transmission is placed in park or neutral. Adjust the park/neutral switch if necessary. Refer to the park/neutral switch adjustment procedure in this section.
14. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and ensure that the key can be removed in the park position only.
15. Release the parking brake, start the engine and check for proper transmission shift operation.

Last edited by DopeFedZ; 10-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reworking an entire wiring harness now. Trying to clean up my 2004 5.3 fuse block connector, but have a few wires going to a trans plug. (gray, yellow, green)

04 harness.. 03 Trans...

Will a 04 NSS work on a 03 4l80e?

2004+ Neutral safety switch looks like

95-03

Last edited by windsma; 12-16-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Any switch works on any trans. get the one that corresponds to your wiring harness

Quick Reply: Doing my Jakes 4l80e swap soon. Anything I'm missing?