Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTC Converters

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shortdog
Really!? Didn't your car 60' in the 1.5s N/A? Just saying....

Nothing against PTC, but don't go making false assumptions.
How silly of me to think that there are no Yank cars that 60' harder than mine. I'm such a moron.

I cut 1.50-1.52s spinning, I was on wore out radials, DA was +2200 to +2500 that night. Car weighed 3500# and I was making 36XRwhp. Good friend went with PTC.. 1998 Trans Am 273s with a 228 cam, exhaust, and a lid, otherwise stock.. Stock tune, stock intake, etc.. Weighed 36XX#.. DA+2000 and was cutting high 1.5s.
Hate on it all you want, that is getting the job done. I see very few comparable setups cutting those 60's.

Let me spell it out since you can't read between... On average/all else equal PTC hits harder than Yank.

Yank makes a very nice converter... But they don't perform like a PTC.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok.. let's just agree and say that's your opinion. However, I let the stats speaks for itself. I don't see too may PTCs in these lists:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...1-74-bump.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ck-ci-h-c.html

Btw, 1.4s here on motor near 3600 lbs.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

How many ptc converters on this site period? Very few.. Very close minded group here.. Me and Jake were discussing this the other night about sponsor vs non sponsor with this board. Looks like I can lump you in with that as well. Transmissions/converters are the absolute worst when comparing the two.. Rev maxx becoming a sponsor for instance.
You want to hop on YB and have a little vote?

1.4s don't prove you're point. With some life left in my tires I would have been cutting them easily. How about odabalara? Pay any attention to his setup?

How much power are you making? Ill go out on a limb and say you had a much nicer than my budget oriented 36xrwhp setup had.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:25 PM

I did see Odarabla's times he posted several yrs ago. His car ran damn good for the weight. We had similar vehicle weight, cut similar 60's. I think the only differences were the rear gearing and actual stall sizes. BUT from your analogy, he should've been cutting low 1.4s, high 1.3s..

I haven't dynoed my current setup since I could care less about dyno numbers, but I can only "assume" 400-430 rwhp.

You have to expect getting called out on when you go around saying that a converter performs better than a converter that's been proven over and over without any real proof.

Btw, I used to have an Edge converter (non sponsor) and posted positive input on it here in the past, but I wasn't going around posting that Edge is a better converter neither. I know better..
Old 03-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
A Th350 needs some upgrades for serious power. The sprag is a good one, using a wider 4L60 low support and low roller (sprag) is a debatable upgrade.

But it will still need an input shaft for anything much north of 600 HP/TQ. Then the planetaries become the weak point at around 800 HP/Tq depending on vehicle weight.

You're looking at big $ to upgrade to a nice planetary set.
I belive he he also did a 4l60 rear sprag. His down alot of th350 for guys around my are with good results his car is a low nice all day running this tranny

That's his car off the line
Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did see Odarabla's times he posted several yrs ago. His car ran damn good for the weight. We had similar vehicle weight, cut similar 60's. I think the only differences were the rear gearing and actual stall sizes. BUT from your analogy, he should've been cutting low 1.4s, high 1.3s..

I haven't dynoed my current setup since I could care less about dyno numbers, but I can only "assume" 400-430 rwhp.

You have to expect getting called out on when you go around saying that a converter performs better than a converter that's been proven over and over without any real proof.

Btw, I used to have an Edge converter (non sponsor) and posted positive input on it here in the past, but I wasn't going around posting that Edge is a better converter neither. I know better..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...0-lb-tank.html
In negative DA (2000 better than what I ran in) making roughly 30-60 more Rwhp (your judgement VS what my car dyno) and only weighing 50 more pounds... You cut a 1.48. And you are arguing that your Yank is outperforming my PTC?
I won't make excuses for my times, it ran what it ran. However, your 1.48 VS my 1.50 spinning is not impressive after you factor in the major DA difference and the added power you have over me. You obviously made more power, I was still on a stock ls6 intake with hand ported 317s and a small 226 cam.
You were also running a slightly lower gear as well, not that I think it would make too much of a difference anyway.

How much more do I need to break this down? With two similarly modded vehicles a PTC will out perform a Yank.

I would like to clarify that I think Yank is a top notch company and makes an awesome converter. I wouldn't hesitate to run one in my car and will never try to sway someone away from one to a PTC if that is what they have in mind. But if asked my opinion I will clearly state that PTCs converter performs better than Yanks, Circle D, FTI.. This doesn't reflect negatively on those companies.

If you want to see some PTC users: http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/
Yank has a monopoly on this board... 80% of people use Yank. Outside of Ls1tech, Yank isn't known like they are here.

If that doesn't get you thinking... I don't know what else will. You have some of the info and facts, do the rest of the research yourself like I did if you are curious and then make your decision, I'm done.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

lemons12- can you explain why a PTC performs better than a FTI??

PS- i have no fight in this battle. just getting info thats all. im a m6 car anyways.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...0-lb-tank.html
In negative DA (2000 better than what I ran in) making roughly 30-60 more Rwhp (your judgement VS what my car dyno) and only weighing 50 more pounds... You cut a 1.48. And you are arguing that your Yank is outperforming my PTC?
I won't make excuses for my times, it ran what it ran. However, your 1.48 VS my 1.50 spinning is not impressive after you factor in the major DA difference and the added power you have over me. You obviously made more power, I was still on a stock ls6 intake with hand ported 317s and a small 226 cam.
You were also running a slightly lower gear as well, not that I think it would make too much of a difference anyway.

How much more do I need to break this down? With two similarly modded vehicles a PTC will out perform a Yank.

I would like to clarify that I think Yank is a top notch company and makes an awesome converter. I wouldn't hesitate to run one in my car and will never try to sway someone away from one to a PTC if that is what they have in mind. But if asked my opinion I will clearly state that PTCs converter performs better than Yanks, Circle D, FTI.. This doesn't reflect negatively on those companies.

If you want to see some PTC users: http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/
Yank has a monopoly on this board... 80% of people use Yank. Outside of Ls1tech, Yank isn't known like they are here.

If that doesn't get you thinking... I don't know what else will. You have some of the info and facts, do the rest of the research yourself like I did if you are curious and then make your decision, I'm done.
And this was with ptc $450 dollar converter??
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Without trying to start a shitstorm again, we've cut apart some of the other LS1Tech preferred converters named here and they were not as advertised either.I haven't made as much noise about it because they weren't in 1000+HP combos and many times they weren't sold to our customer, we just ended up with the converter apart.

It's disappointing.

There are reasons I recommend the converter companies I do and when the thread came up here awhile back about the different vendors, I didn't slam anyone but I did say I preferred FTI of all of them. FTI has some really fast stuff out there too, not just in the LS1Tech community.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Default ptc

ptc make some of the baddest converters you can get your hands on. anyone that has a fast turbo or nitrous car has one....ptc converters hands down the best................go to yellowbullet and see
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Launching!

ptc again
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by lemons12
Wasn't Odarabla's car a fair comparison?
Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6

PS- i have no fight in this battle. just getting info thats all. im a m6 car anyways.
He can't.. It's just his opinion. No facts.
Originally Posted by Gabe02ws6
Most likely not.
Originally Posted by loosews6
ptc again
The Revmax wasn't doing it for ya?

I'm well aware of PTCs rep and yellowbullet (i'm registered there also) but we're talking about a 4l60e $450 converter that out performs a yank? C'mon now..
Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ptc make some of the baddest converters you can get your hands on. anyone that has a fast turbo or nitrous car has one....ptc converters hands down the best................go to yellowbullet and see
what about n/a people? why just boosted or spray
Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so who makes some bad *** converders for a th350 since that's what I need? It's going to be a h,c,I on a 150 shot?? I called ptc but never heard anything back from them..
Old 03-23-2013, 10:34 PM

Ok so who makes some bad *** converders for a th350 since that's what I need? It's going to be a h,c,I on a 150 shot?? I called ptc but never heard anything back from them..
You're gonna end up spraying more than 150.

I've seen and read good reviews/results from Neil Chance, Coan, FTI to name of few, but there are others.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen and read good reviews/results from Neil Chance, Coan, FTI to name of few, but there are others.
Really u think so?? So I should spend the money once and do it right the first time right? Monday I will give Neal chanse and FTi a call
Old 03-24-2013, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm happy with my $450 PTC converter in my bolt on LT1 fwiw. Quick shipping too, I think the paint was still wet on mine when I got it.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wysemunky
I'm happy with my $450 PTC converter in my bolt on LT1 fwiw. Quick shipping too, I think the paint was still wet on mine when I got it.
I looked at there web site and don't see a $450 converter I only see a 400 and 475?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yank is a very good converter for a street/strip daily driven 4L60E.
PTC is more of an all out race car converter. PG, TH-350, TH-400's.
Just my .02 cents
Old 03-24-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

FTI makes an extremely good converter.. If I couldn't run a PTC, they would be a contender for my next choice.

I have seen more impressive setups from PTC than I have FTI is all.
Correct.. Both converters were the exact same.

Wasn't Odarabla's car a fair comparison?

He can't.. It's just his opinion. No facts.

Most likely not.

The Revmax wasn't doing it for ya?

I'm well aware of PTCs rep and yellowbullet (i'm registered there also) but we're talking about a 4l60e $450 converter that out performs a yank? C'mon now..
It was... How about mine? How about my buddy that was in the 1.5s in 2000+ DA with a cam lid and exhaust with 273s and 3600#?

I have seen enough PTC converter out perform Yank/Circle D/Rev Maxx/Etc to base my claims on without a problem backing it up.

LOL... Most people don't think it is a 450$ converter because it performs the way it does. That right there lets me know it is impressing you, especially for a 450$ converter!

what about n/a people? why just boosted or spray
Same.. I was NA with last setup.
PTC/

I looked at there web site and don't see a $450 converter I only see a 400 and 475?
It is the 475$ IIRC... Call again on Monday and talk to Lane. I have never had an issue getting through to them.

Quick Reply: PTC Converters