Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non billet converters

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non billet converters

I have been looking at non billet converters lately (only making around 380 rwhp) and I have seen alot of people saying to stay away from cheaper brands, but after a few days of research I can't actually find anyone who broke any converter other than stock let alone a cheap one. Has anyone actually broken a converter? If so what brand and what stall? Thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

There is a long recent thread on PTC converters and several other threads too. The advice from the experts (not me!) seems to be that below 500HP, a billet converter is overkill.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
There is a long recent thread on PTC converters and several other threads too. The advice from the experts (not me!) seems to be that below 500HP, a billet converter is overkill.
I know that, but I'm more talking about brands breaking such as I've heard I should stay away from companies such as B&M and from threads a few years ago it seemed like everyone hated RevMax but now it seems like people love them.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Read this thread and make up your own mind: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/862534-torque-converter-education.html
It's not just power level, but especially the rigors of daily driving with frequent locking and unlocking that are tough on converter clutches. 9.5" converters using the stock front cover have small clutch area. A billet cover with a stout clutch provides peace of mind.
Also use of the Transgo shift kit that eliminates PWM is conducive to good clutch health.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

the OP in that thread is about worthless considering all 9.5 converters are from 4 and 6 cylinder cars, and that's not even what I was looking for
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A billet converter is not needed for an application such as yours...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not just power level, but especially the rigors of daily driving with frequent locking and unlocking that are tough on converter clutches.
But OEM converters last hundreds of thousands of miles on most cars and trucks, so how much could the rigors of daily driving affect torque converters that much?

I've never heard of anyone replacing torque converters after wearing out from daily driving.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Daily driving it like its the family vehicle...not likely to brake ****.
Daily driving like your at the track stop light to stop light...on ramp blasting..side street 0-60 launches..smashing the gas to catch up with traffic...Possible to break ****..Define DD...hahah
your right though...not too many threads about converters taking a ****. Love my revmax.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

One more question since the OP wasn't ever really answer I may as well post this here...What is the performance difference between the actually sizes of the TC as in 11.5 9.5 8 ect.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 AM
Pontiacerator

Let's not let this thread dengenerate into this brand or that. It's not the hard driving and WOT that kills conveter clutches, it's the daily grind of locking and unlocking the lock-up clutch. A billet front cover gives much greater clutch surface area. If you're looking for long term clutch life, regardless of your power level, it gives peace of mind.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by redtan
But OEM converters last hundreds of thousands of miles on most cars and trucks, so how much could the rigors of daily driving affect torque converters that much? I've never heard of anyone replacing torque converters after wearing out from daily driving.
A stock LS1 converter is 12". A good performance converter is 9.5". Think about it.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Banned

Actually, the OEM converters do fail quite a bit. The clutch lining eventually wears out and causes a converter failure. Now, many times the failure is not the converter, but the valve body causing the converter to fail. Leakage of the TCC valves in the VB cause low converter apply pressure and this in turn kills the converter...
Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

You should come on by and let me show you the failures. You can put a stock converter behind anything.When you are spending your hard earned money on your hot rod dont let a few hundred bucks keep you from having the best. The biggest issue is that if you buy the cheaper one with the chance of failure that can cost you an entire transmission the few extra hundred seems cheap versus buying a transmission due to failure.

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The biggest issue is that if you buy the cheaper one with the chance of failure that can cost you an entire transmission the few extra hundred seems cheap versus buying a transmission due to failure.
Although sometimes you do spend the extra money on the more expensive badass built converter and still ends up failing and taking out the whole transmission...while the stock converter keeps on going.

A stock LS1 converter is 12". A good performance converter is 9.5". Think about it.
True, but isn't the clutch lining on a $800+ billet 9.5" converter a helluva lot better and stronger than any OEM one?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redtan
Although sometimes you do spend the extra money on the more expensive badass built converter and still ends up failing and taking out the whole transmission...while the stock converter keeps on going.

True, but isn't the clutch lining on a $800+ billet 9.5" converter a helluva lot better and stronger than any OEM one?
Actually, the "billet" $800 converters have a SMALLER than OEM diameter clutch lining as well. It is actually weaker than the stock converter is in this respect. Now, it is stronger in many ways, but it is weaker in the lockup clutch area.. I think we may put a post about this on the forum so that people can better understand converters and what is inside them...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

I know there are strength differences between billet and non billet but what about strength and perform e differences between 11.5 converters and 9.5 and is there a difference in street ability between sizes?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I barely know anything about converters, but to me it appears that low stall converters have to be bigger in diameter, while higher stall converter can be smaller and lighter. Its probably related to the physics of how they work.

You do want to keep the weight down.
You read about people complaining about the extra weight and rotating mass of a 4L80 over a 4L60E, but a 4L80E with a high stall light converter will have less rotating mass than a 4L60E with the heavy stock converter. In other words, it is desirable to keep the rotating mass down.

A billet converter is more than just the billet cover; for all the sponsors here and other reputable builders, the billet (i.e. higher priced) converters also have better internals which often makes them more efficient and streetable. I have read many threads here of people who switched from a budget (< $400) converter to a premium (> $700) converter, saying it was the best addition there ever made and wishing they had skipped the budget converter. I'm sure the lower priced converters made by the sponsors here are better than the mass-produced budget converters on the market, but their premium converters will knock your socks off and give you great value when you consider the price of your car and other performance tweaks.

In short, your desired stall speed seems to dictate the size of the converter. I've never seen a 4000 stall 11.5 converter not a 2200 stall 9.5" converter. Therefore two different diameter converter cannot be directly compared.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

lets say I have 2 identical 3200 stall converters same brand and same upgrades, which is going to last longer an 11 inch or an 8 inch? which will perform better and which will drive better on the streets?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The torque converter is a type of centrifugal pump. Diameter plays a big factor in the RPM the converter starts to transmit power to the turbine. The bigger it is, the more surface area it has to pump the fluid. That is why a smaller converter will naturally stall higher, less area so it takes more RPM to transmit enough energy to get the turbine to move. There are several other factors that come into play - blade angles, stator blade design, tolerances just to name a few.

That is why I will recommend our 278mm or maybe our 258mm if it is more of a street ride, bigger diameter will move the car easier. While the 245mm typically has the best performance. Of course there are a lot of variables here, just giving a broad statement. Really depends on your build and what your cam/engine combo needs....

On the billet question. If we are using our 245mm, 258mm or 265mm options, I use our billet front. I like overkill. Upgrading to a CDS billet front gives you increased clutch surface area. A stronger lock up piston so you can apply more pressure to it for better holding capacity and no worries of flexing. Very rigid setup in the front cover, so the clutch surface area will remain flat.

We do have a non billet option in our 278mm. But this uses an OE style 12" clutch and we upgrade to a SW carbon clutch, which is better than the OE style. So it is a step above the factory setup, we rate our 278mm to hold 500 RWHP. Downside to the 278mm is that it maxes out at about 3200 flash stall, so it is not enough RPM for most CAM upgrades. This is where the 245mm and 258mm come into play.... 3500, 4000, 4500....\

Hopefully that help a little,
Chris
The following users liked this post:
jchapls1 (09-14-2020)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Circle-D
The torque converter is a type of centrifugal pump. Diameter plays a big factor in the RPM the converter starts to transmit power to the turbine. The bigger it is, the more surface area it has to pump the fluid. That is why a smaller converter will naturally stall higher, less area so it takes more RPM to transmit enough energy to get the turbine to move. There are several other factors that come into play - blade angles, stator blade design, tolerances just to name a few.

That is why I will recommend our 278mm or maybe our 258mm if it is more of a street ride, bigger diameter will move the car easier. While the 245mm typically has the best performance. Of course there are a lot of variables here, just giving a broad statement. Really depends on your build and what your cam/engine combo needs....

On the billet question. If we are using our 245mm, 258mm or 265mm options, I use our billet front. I like overkill. Upgrading to a CDS billet front gives you increased clutch surface area. A stronger lock up piston so you can apply more pressure to it for better holding capacity and no worries of flexing. Very rigid setup in the front cover, so the clutch surface area will remain flat.

We do have a non billet option in our 278mm. But this uses an OE style 12" clutch and we upgrade to a SW carbon clutch, which is better than the OE style. So it is a step above the factory setup, we rate our 278mm to hold 500 RWHP. Downside to the 278mm is that it maxes out at about 3200 flash stall, so it is not enough RPM for most CAM upgrades. This is where the 245mm and 258mm come into play.... 3500, 4000, 4500....\

Hopefully that help a little,
Chris
That did help thank you, but other than getting up to RPM faster and being capable of higher stall are there in other benefits to the smaller diameter converters? I know obviously the billet makes them stronger but I don't really think I need a billet and I have a fairly small cam so I think 3200 should be enough. Would I have to get the 278mm converter to a higher RPM before the car starts moving at a traffic light? If so how much would it be, if its only 100 or 200 I don't really see the need to go any smaller but if I'm actually having to go to 3000 RPM everytime I leave a stop light that'd get pretty annoying after a while, thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Non billet converters