Sponsored by:

4l80e - input / output shaft noise when spun by hand

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e - input / output shaft noise when spun by hand

Hey guys, quick question

Picked up a supposedly good 4l80e. Trans looks clean, i pulled the pan and it is very clean. Trans was full of fluid still, it was not burnt, smelled clean, no metal or clutch material in pan, magnet was clean etc. But....
When i spin the input or output shaft by hand, i can hear a constant "growling" noise, similar to gears meshing loudly. I know these trans are noisy compared to 4l60 / Th350 / 700r4 etc but im wondering if anyone else can confirm this is normal? I also did check the parking pawl, and it is not dragging. The noise is consistent, does not sound like a clunk or a broken tooth somewhere. Opinions? Dont want to tear it down for nothing, if this is in fact a normal noise Ill take my chances and see how it does in the vehicle. You can check the noise on my youtube link here...

Thanks!

Last edited by LQ9CHEVELLE; 05-01-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not saying that the sound is normal or that there is definitely something wrong, as I don't have a ton of experience with these transmissions. BUT I will say that the sound is probably much louder now, due to the fact that there is no more fluid in case. I know that if you do the same thing with a rear end the gears will make more noise without fluid in the case....Just my two cents...take it for what it's worth
Old 05-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Briou
I'm not saying that the sound is normal or that there is definitely something wrong, as I don't have a ton of experience with these transmissions. BUT I will say that the sound is probably much louder now, due to the fact that there is no more fluid in case. I know that if you do the same thing with a rear end the gears will make more noise without fluid in the case....Just my two cents...take it for what it's worth
Thanks for the reply. It sounded the same, when it was full of fluid before i drained it. It has a bolt-on rear yoke and the dipstick was still in it, so it was 100% full. My friend is a trans guy @ a GM dealer, he watched the video and says thats typical but to me it just sounds loud! It is similar to the sound of a rear end being spun by hand, with no oil. Trans fluid is thin, and its not under pressure, so perhaps thats why
Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So that screeching sound from 2s-4s is normal, it's the roller clutches. But I don't know about that knocking sound. Does sounds like gears to me. Mine didn't make that sound when I got it from the junkyard or after the rebuild.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
So that screeching sound from 2s-4s is normal, it's the roller clutches. But I don't know about that knocking sound. Does sounds like gears to me. Mine didn't make that sound when I got it from the junkyard or after the rebuild.
It does sound like gears meshing (loud, large gears!) You would think if It had damage to the planetary gears that there would be some kind of metal in the pan? Pan was super clean. Pan gasket was older and the outside of the pan/trans did not appear as if the seller pulled a "fast one" and wiped the pan out or anything. Just trying to avoid ripping this thing apart if I dont have to. Decisions decisions.....
Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Anyone else head this?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I could probably be tell you, but the video won't load for me
Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Alright finally got it to load. The little screeching noise sound is totally normal, but the heavy clanking sound is not at all, never heard that before actually. I noticed you seemed to be spinning to input shaft by hand rather easily, which shouldn't be the case. It's a heavy assembly to spin by hand and shouldn't be very easy to spin like that bare handed.

The noise shouldn't be coming from down low, there's no way you could rotate the assembly to that point, so get your mind off of potential parking pawl problems and what not. Pull pump and the input assembly and inspect from there. I know it sounds like a paint in the ***, but pulling the assembly is a very quick and easy deal. Inspect your input shaft and OD planetary. Something could be broken, but I'll be honest and say I'm not 100% sure, like I said I've never heard that sound before. However, with or without fluid in the transmission doesn't matter, the clutches would still be soaked. In fact, the clutches being soaked should make it even harder to turn the assembly because the overrun clutch housing is splined to the OD clutches which should be nice and soaked and compact.

Yank it out man, you shouldn't need to remove the valve body to remove the OD basket bolt to go further into it, I'm betting if there is an issue, you'll find it right there in the front.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Alright finally got it to load. The little screeching noise sound is totally normal, but the heavy clanking sound is not at all, never heard that before actually. I noticed you seemed to be spinning to input shaft by hand rather easily, which shouldn't be the case. It's a heavy assembly to spin by hand and shouldn't be very easy to spin like that bare handed.

The noise shouldn't be coming from down low, there's no way you could rotate the assembly to that point, so get your mind off of potential parking pawl problems and what not. Pull pump and the input assembly and inspect from there. I know it sounds like a paint in the ***, but pulling the assembly is a very quick and easy deal. Inspect your input shaft and OD planetary. Something could be broken, but I'll be honest and say I'm not 100% sure, like I said I've never heard that sound before. However, with or without fluid in the transmission doesn't matter, the clutches would still be soaked. In fact, the clutches being soaked should make it even harder to turn the assembly because the overrun clutch housing is splined to the OD clutches which should be nice and soaked and compact.

Yank it out man, you shouldn't need to remove the valve body to remove the OD basket bolt to go further into it, I'm betting if there is an issue, you'll find it right there in the front.
Thanks for the advice. It isn't easy to spin, im actually tearing my hand up pretty good gripping that thing and really twisting to get it to rotate (im a pretty big dude). But i agree the noise is suspect, guess ill yank the pump and take a look.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Wanted to follow up on this and let you all know what I found....
I hate it when people dont post the outcome, after asking for advice!

SO.......took pump out, had a broken input shaft, broken roller clutch, broken drum, broken sprag.....the carnage was unbelievable! Somebody had to have cleaned that pan out, and filled with clean fluid before they sold me that trans. No way it could have muched those parts and looked as pristine as it did in the pan / valvebody area, with no metal to be found. Oh well, win some and lose some....

Thanks again for the help, and the advice!

Quick Reply: 4l80e - input / output shaft noise when spun by hand