Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal trans cooler line leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metal trans cooler line leaking

I have a 99 ls1 z28 auto with a yank 4000 stall, with trans cooler... Apparently my metal trans cooler lines are leaking as seen in pic below... What lines can I replace it with? And is it an easy task to do? Never done them before. Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Found a slit in the line.. As seen in pic below.. Seems to of been rubbing on the front sway bar to cause this to happen over time. Is it an easy task to replace? Thanks guys appreciate any info

Last edited by Kevin_Ls1; 03-07-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Sorry that no one has replied; personally I run AN-6 braided lines.
No idea if the dealer can still supply replacement lines.
I Googled "auto transmission line tubing" and found a few potential sources including pre-made braided lines and videos using bulk tubing from the local auto store.

Let us know if you find a source for pre-bent replacement lines or how you ended up replacing them.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Sorry that no one has replied; personally I run AN-6 braided lines.
No idea if the dealer can still supply replacement lines.
I Googled "auto transmission line tubing" and found a few potential sources including pre-made braided lines and videos using bulk tubing from the local auto store.

Let us know if you find a source for pre-bent replacement lines or how you ended up replacing them.
I searched on the autozone app on my phone it it appears they carry pre-bent trans cooler lines that is to OEM Specs... Going to actually go there tomorrow and see for myself to be certain... I'll keep u updated... And thank you for responding.. Greatly appreciate it
Old 03-10-2015, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used In Line tube for all of my lines weather stock or custom . JOHN
Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default Finally got the trans cooler line replaced

It's been cold around my area so I brought my Camaro to my buddies shop and replaced the trans cooler lines with rubber trans cooler lines and it's running great.. No more leak.. Just wanted to update. Now my next step is to replace the power steering pump and rack and pinion as its leaking from the boot and pump
Old 04-01-2015, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, you're just leaking everywhere. Sounds like an engine bay detail may be in order.

I spilled some transmission fluid while flushing the radiator's transmission cooler during a rebuild and now I get to do some detailing work again.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Had the lines replaced with rubber transmission lines.. Worked great for about almost a month and just today while crusin on the highway and gunning it to get up to speed, I think the line came undone. So now it's at the garage that i had the lines replaced at. It was going in for service tomorrow anyways (Monday) for a new power steering pump and rack and pinion.. And now it's going back for the transmission lines, which by the way I'm not going to pay for since it's having issues... My car has a street tune done to it, and it was done when my friend owned the camaro.. He said that he had the line pressure on the transmission lines turned up a bit because it has a Yank 4,000 stall converter installed... So I'm wondering if the new rubber lines just can't handle the extra pressure in the lines or what.. I'm not sure... But I'm a little bummed out because it was such a nice day today and was hoping to cruise around with the t-tops off and those plans quickly went to the pooper.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Your post about replacing the lines with rubber lines gave me concern, but as I don't have personal experience, I didn't want to say anything.
The cooling lines do not get the full line pressure of the trans, but perhaps half the pressure; so a max of 120psi with a shift kit and a max of 100psi without.
I know that some aftermarket coolers are installed with rubber lines; while they would give me pause, I know that they usually work just fine.
It could be the installation or the quality of the hoses that failed for you; I don't think the shift kit or higher line pressure had much to do with it.

Good luck getting all the leaks fixed. Personally my trans and PS lines are all teflon AN lines.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you, I appreciate it.. From the looks of it prior to the line blowing off, it had looked like the mechanics left a little part of the metal line coming from the transmission and then hose clamping it and ran from there to trams cooler.. My speculation is that the line may have come undone from the transmission side as that's where it appeared seeing all the transmission fluid coming from.. Now my question to you is this.. With those rubber transmission lines in place you had mentioned it's potentially not getting the full pressure going through the lines.. That being said, should that be a cause for a concern? Thanks for any info you may have.. Greatly appreciate it. I have the car at the shop they open in 15 minutes.. I'm going to give the mechanic a call and tell him about the line.. I'm sure they will fix that part for free seeing as I just had it replaced approximately 2 weeks ago
Old 04-17-2015, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This has happened to me so many times, and instead of changing the lines (which happened 1 time before i said not again). I personally fixed it by sawing the line on both sides of the break and have two clean cut off ends and i clamp a strong rubber hose in the middle, i have this in like 3 different areas of the lines. no problems.

but i would get some nice braided lines if i was to replace it again, they look really good also
Old 04-19-2015, 04:19 AM
Staging Lane

Had the lines replaced with the metal lines.. Car runs great now.. No leaks.. Power steering pump and rack replaced, no leaks either.. So far so good I really hope I don't have any further issues with the new transmission lines.. I feel for now I shouldn't have a problem.. Thanks guys for all the help, I appreciate it. 👍😃
Old 04-20-2015, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kevin_Ls1
Had the lines replaced with the metal lines.. Car runs great now.. No leaks.. Power steering pump and rack replaced, no leaks either.. So far so good I really hope I don't have any further issues with the new transmission lines.. I feel for now I shouldn't have a problem.. Thanks guys for all the help, I appreciate it. 👍😃
i looked on my car, and there is a clip that the lines place into and the clip keeps them from rubbing. you may be missing that clip
Old 04-30-2015, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default Damn it not again!

Well again as I was driving on the highway today I see smoke coming from the back from my rear view mirror.. I just got this car fixed 2 weeks ago.. Transmission fluid apparently was pissing out yet again. So I pulled off the freeway and went to the closest parking lot not even a minute away from the off ramp.. I start pulling in and the car is barley moving as I must of lost a lot of fluid, but just enough to park it.. I then turned off the car and looked underneath and didn't notice any fluid leaking from the actual metal lines that recently got replaced.. Upon further inspection I noticed an abundance of transmission fluid under the front bumper, nose area.. I do have a trans cooler and didn't notice anything wrong with the rubber part of the lines from trans cooler but I could be wrong as the car wasn't running so I wouldn't actually know if it was leaking out from that part of the line. Could it be the transcooler itself? Perhaps a crack? And if so what could of caused this? I'm having the worst luck with this car lately, I can't afford to fix it every two weeks.. I need to figure this out.. Trans cooler I bought last year.. I'm stumped on this one. I just want to be able to drive my Camaro without having fear of driving it far and having issues
Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Found the source of the problem.. The rubber line that comes from transmission cooler had a little slit in the line.. Wonder how that happened? The rubber part of the hose is new.. The effected line is a 5/16 while the other runner line is 3/8 not sure if the lines are both supposed to be the same size or what.. That's how it came. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Probable causes of line getting a little slit? Thank you all for the help
Old 05-01-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

it could have been from the previous rubbing that caused the earlier metal line break.

Check for any place that hitting bumps in the road could be smacking the rubber against a harder or sharp area.

look for anything the rubber hose is laying on, take a larger piece of hose and cover it in the area if found
(slit a larger one down the side, and literally cover the old rubber hose)

make sure absolutely nothing is touching any side of that rubber hose, vibration and friction will find its way to your fluid (through cutting ;] )

so moral of the story is, nothing can touch those lines (friction is a
Old 05-01-2015, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

look on the extreme top left of this picture, see how i have card board protecting my line?

that line was sitting compressed between a sharp plastic piece. that would have been a fun fix....
Attached Thumbnails Metal trans cooler line leaking-img_20150421_213448_rewind.jpg  
Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
look on the extreme top left of this picture, see how i have card board protecting my line?

that line was sitting compressed between a sharp plastic piece. that would have been a fun fix....
I have the new line I'm putting it in later after work.. The two rubber lines are exposed from trans cooler up til it connects to the metal lines.. The part where it loops up under the front bumper is exposed.. Perhaps a rock may have kicked up to it driving on the highway and caused a slit.. I do have some styrofoam noodles I can wrap that part of the line up to protect it when I install the new rubber hose in.. Thank you for your help bud.. You gave me an idea when u had mentioned you protected yours with cardboard.. I didn't even think to protect the lines

Quick Reply: Metal trans cooler line leaking