Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help: braided line, AN fitting parts list

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help: braided line, AN fitting parts list

I've tried looking this stuff up online, but I don't really know exactly what I'm looking for so that makes it hard.

What I want to do is use braided hose between my TH350 and B&M tranny cooler. I know I need AN fittings, but I don't know the sizes.

The setup I want to construct will have the

1) braided line coming out of the tranny for about 1 ft., then,
2) a coupling, then
3) more braided line
4) another coupler by the tranny cooler, then,
5) 1 ft. of braided line from that coupler to the tranny cooler.

The reason I want the couplings by the tranny and the tranny cooler is so that when I pull the tranny or the cooler, it's easier to disconnect the lines at the couplers than at the tranny body or on the cooler itself.

So I need AN connectors to fit the tranny-to-braided line, AN connector to couple the braided line, and AN connectors to connect the braided line to the tranny cooler tube stubs.

I'm sure this has been done a jillion times, so can someone tell me what the proper fittings I'm looking for so I can buy them?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

From what I've been able to find, the the fittings on the trans for the cooler lines are 1/4 NPT (female) and most coolers seem to want -6AN, so you will need a 1/4NPT to 6AN adapter at the trans.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I take it that -6AN is the typical connector size for this kind of application?

I'm not sure about my tranny cooler... I'll have to check what type of fittings it takes, but I think it might just be tubing stubs if I remember right.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

What I did on my TH-350 was I got 2 1/4-6AN fittings for the transmission, 2 Aeroquip 6AN straight barbed fittings for the Aeroquip socketless hose. I ran the 6AN socketless hose all the way from the transmission to the cooler. I just hose clamped the hose to my cooler. The AN fittings are ALOT easier to get to then the stock hard lines. I used the socketless hose because it is cheaper and all you have to do is slide the hose over the barbed fitting. But if you use a braided line you should still be able to clamp the hose to the cooler.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

The adapters you used on your TH350... can you elaborate on those?

You say you used 1/4" NPT to -6AN adapters on the tranny? Doesn't the tranny use inverted flares? Also, the hard line going into the tranny looks like 3/8" tubing...

This is the part I need to be specific about when I buy them. Get them wrong and it's a show stopper.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

These are what I used in the transmission. The inverted flare part that the hard line goes into, also unscrews out of the trans. I took those out and put the adapter directly in the trans. Then I used two of these to connect the socketless line .

All of this stuff was ordered from http://www.summitracing.com/ .
Old 06-08-2004, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Just to be sure about the fitting in the trans, take it out and go to a local speed shop and check to make sure it is 1/4.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ru2slo_99
These are what I used in the transmission. The inverted flare part that the hard line goes into, also unscrews out of the trans. I took those out and put the adapter directly in the trans. Then I used two of these to connect the socketless line .

All of this stuff was ordered from http://www.summitracing.com/ .

Ahhhh... I gotcha now. Thanks for the explanation and links!

One more question: What's the best way to cut braided line to lenght? Would a Dremel with a cutting wheel work or would that mess up the braids?

Thanks again for all the helpful info!
Old 06-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Banned

Wrap the braided line in thread sealant type tape (the white tape use to seal threads on pipe etc) on the outside of where your cutting or electrical tape. Then cut. The tape will keep it from fraying
Old 06-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

you can use h/d cable cutters for the smaller ss hoses, i use one on all the -8 and smaller sizes. A chop saw with a metal blade works ok too for the larger stuff, it does kinda make a mess of the rubber hose part of it. a good hose flush/cleaning is required for that application. a fine toothed hacksaw works too.

as stated before, tape the area being cut. duct tape, electrical tape, even masking tape will work in a pinch.