Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Converter to Flexplate Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Excessive Converter to Flexplate Clearance

So I just rebuilt my 4l60e and installed it back in the car. With the converter all the way back i measured .333" of clearance between the TC bolt flanges and the flex plate. Im seeing that i need more like ".187 or less" as the magic number. I installed 2 washers at .80 each to take up the slack, but was wondering if my clearance is excessive? I can't find any cases or threads with that much clearance.

When the trans was out i measured just under 1 1/8 inch from TC bolt flange to bellhousing mounting surface, which seemed correct from what i could find. So could my flex plate need replaced? Or is .333 inch an ok clearance?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the same transmission that was originally in there and also a new replacement converter or original converter?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
This is the same transmission that was originally in there and also a new replacement converter or original converter?

Same transmission that has been in the car. I replaced the converter with a new/reman one from oreillys. It is not a stock converter, it is a 6 cylinder trailblazer converter for a slightly higher stall. I ran another one prior to this for over a year with no problems, tons of passes down the track.

But if there is just under 1 1/8 inch clearance between the bellhousing surface and the TC bolt flange, the excessive clearance would seem to come from the flex plate right?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Have any pictures of the old converter and the new converter? I'm assuming you have the same flex plate as before?
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
Have any pictures of the old converter and the new converter? I'm assuming you have the same flex plate as before?
No I dont have any pics. I had to give the old converter back as a core for the new one. I looked at them both before I exchanged, they looked identical even painted the same exact baby blue color. Same flex plate as before yes.

Part number is GM55 on oreilly website. Like I said I use it for a cheap higher stall and been running one for a year with no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the height of the hub of the converter in comparison to the original?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
Did you check the height of the hub of the converter in comparison to the original?
eyeballing it they looked identical. I have 1 1/8 clearance from bellhousing to TC bolt pads. This seems to be what is desired

http://converter.com/images/CONVERTER%20INSTALL.pdf

i just didnt know if, and have never heard of, a flex plate warping towards the engine causing excessive clearance like this

Last edited by SiskMan; 03-29-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

I doubt its a warped flexplate; even less likely that it would warp evenly all around.
What FTIConverters and Docrocket1967 are wondering is if you are trying got a wrong LT-style converter instead of an LS-converter.
Take a picture of the converter sits on its nose (pilot) with a ruler next to it so that we can see the length of the pilot and the overall depth of the converter.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I doubt its a warped flexplate; even less likely that it would warp evenly all around.
What FTIConverters and Docrocket1967 are wondering is if you are trying got a wrong LT-style converter instead of an LS-converter.
Take a picture of the converter sits on its nose (pilot) with a ruler next to it so that we can see the length of the pilot and the overall depth of the converter.
I didnt think you could bolt an LT converter to an LS flex plate. The converter bolted up just fine
Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You just have to make sure the converter pilot is in the crank and still in the pump. A few washers are ok
Old 04-04-2017, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
You just have to make sure the converter pilot is in the crank and still in the pump. A few washers are ok
You're partially correct! The converter can only come out of the pump 1/8"-3/16".

Furthermore we like to see at least 1/8" of the pilot engaging with the crank.
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Old 04-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
You're partially correct! The converter can only come out of the pump 1/8"-3/16".

Furthermore we like to see at least 1/8" of the pilot engaging with the crank.
So i had .333 clearance and used two .80 washers on each bolt to take up the slack. This means i pulled the converter .173" out of the pump. How do i check that the pilot went into the back of the crank? i didn't think i would be able to actually see that
Old 04-05-2017, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SiskMan
So i had .333 clearance and used two .80 washers on each bolt to take up the slack. This means i pulled the converter .173" out of the pump. How do i check that the pilot went into the back of the crank? i didn't think i would be able to actually see that
Seeing it will probably be difficult. You could probably put a little bit of grease on the pilot and check it that way.

-Dalton
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com

Quick Reply: Excessive Converter to Flexplate Clearance