Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e assembly issues, shaft wont turn after installing pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 4l80e assembly issues, shaft wont turn after installing pump

so i am in the middle of my 4l80e swap and I am building a 4l80e with a jakes stage 3 kit.

I am having a weird problem once I tighten the pump down the output shaft no longer turns. I can clearly tell that the stack is sitting a little to high. the lower assembly went together with no problems, and shaft play is right where it needs to be.

When I install the direct and forward drum I can tell that I am clearing all the clutches. I even removed all the clutches with no change what so ever. I even removed the bearing between the forward and direct and it still didnt drop any farther.

I am at a loss on what else to try next. I dont have the old forward hub to install and see if that is the problem since that is the only internal part that was changed other than adding a clutch in the direct and rollerizing the case and hub.

looking to hear form someone with some experience in this and maybe has had the same issue
Old 05-02-2017, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

also if anyone has pictures of what the direct and forward drum look like sitting on the shaft might help me see if things are sitting on the shaft like there suppose to be, at this point im really starting to wonder if the drum is bottoming out on the intermediate shaft.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With it assembled if you put a straight edge across where the pump sits do you have enough clearance to the overdrive assembly for the pump washer?
Old 05-03-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-04-2017, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

thanks for the reply, no I do not have clearence and that is the problem. the planetary actually sits hither than the mating surface for the pump. I verified the direct is seated all the way and so is the forward. I think the issue is in the forward hub or the intermediate shaft is to high. I have narrowed it down to the forward hub is bottoming out onto the intermediate shaft before it drops all the way down onto the direct. the bearing isnt making full contact. i removed direct drum and pulled forward hub out of drum and sat it on the shaft and it sits at the exact same height. so its not droping down far enouph. the only difference in the new hub vs old I have found is that its .040 taller than the other one from the bushing/bearing installed to the top of the hub. but it seems the clearence of off alot more than .040 so im thinking maybe the intermediate shaft is sitting to high? but shaft play is within spec

Old 05-04-2017, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

i installed the pump without the washer, and it still locked up
Old 05-04-2017, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you have the Overrun hub laced into all the Overrun Frictions? Did you remove the Overruns & retry? Remove the O/D Roller Clutch as well to make checking easier 'til you get this sorted out.

If this is the issue, I find it easier to stack the O/D clutches after the O/D Carrier & Hub are in the Case.....That way a Overrun doesn't get on top of the Hub while trying to lace the O/D fictions.

The Forward Hub sitting on top of the Main Shaft is normal, The Forward Hub Bearing or Thrust Washer Does Not sit on the Direct Drum during assembly, It's just a thrust surface for when the Sun Gear thrust the Sun Gear Shaft & Direct Drum forward during operation.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

i think you hit the nail on the head. omw to work this morning I glanced over at the overun assembly sitting on the table and noticed it looked like the hub was sticking out a little more than it should. then i got on here and saw you mention it LOL. i think this may very well be the issue but wont be able to dig into it until I get home. i know when i assembled it was all the way in but i think it slipped out sometime during all this assembly.

I do stack clutches in overdrive after the overun is installed. but i think the problem is inside the overun, where the sprag is. thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: 4l80e assembly issues, shaft wont turn after installing pump