Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e wiring harness, help needed (PNP switch)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy 4l60e wiring harness, help needed (PNP switch)

Hi everyone!

I'm swapping 5.3 LM7 along with Holden LS1 wiring harness (similar to '04 GTO harness, has the same DBC factory setup), converting to emission-free setup (thanks to lt1swap.com).
Will buy a transmission later (I need to find 2WD 4l60e and they're pretty rare in my region).

Harness has a BLUE and RED connectors for PCM, and nothing went wrong with it untill I've got some unused wires comes from neutral safety switch.

I've got this type of connector:

4l60e wiring harness, help needed (PNP switch)-trans_switch_8604b5d9f025fa1752e6379cd12a674c6a817c1f.bmp

Now I have connected to my PCM only these wires:
#4 - Transmission Range Switch Signal B
#5 - Transmission Range Switch Signal A
#6 - Transmission Range Switch Signal C
#8 - Transmission Range Switch Signal P

Here's a photo of my connector (from it's back side), wires on top are connected to PCM and wires on the bottom are leftover.

4l60e wiring harness, help needed (PNP switch)-pnpmy.jpg

What should I do with these?
Old 03-25-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

The Transmission Range Switch signals go through the 14-pin harness that plugs into the trans. I don't even have a Neutral Safety switch on my trans. So I am confused as to what you are doing and expect.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The Transmission Range Switch signals go through the 14-pin harness that plugs into the trans. I don't even have a Neutral Safety switch on my trans. So I am confused as to what you are doing and expect.
Well... according the chart I have to wire up #34 pin from the BLUE PCM connector (which is PRND P Input) to my trans shifter (to make it grounded when it's in park/neutral position).
This wire is connected to my range switch connector right now (it's a white one - #8 Transmission Range Switch Signal P).

Also it says that PCM can be reprogrammed to accept a single wire (park/neutral signal) on this #34 pin if there's no trans mounted range sensor is present.

I'm confused because I've tested those connected wires and they come into my PCM:

And looking at the wiring harness itself - those wires from the range connector do not come through my round trans connector - they're going separately to the PCM as you can see here:

4l60e wiring harness, help needed (PNP switch)-1zxa7smcyrc.jpg

So should I:

1) Left my range connector "as is" and just tape off those unused wires?
2) Connect those unused wires according the scheme I've posted earlier (ground and both power supply wires)?
3) Cut off the entire connector and just route #34 white wire to my shifter and later program PCM to "P/N only" mode (1-wire)?

This is the first time I'm dealing with AUTOMATIC transmission

About 2 days I've spent trying to figure out WHAT transmission I can use with LS engine (I was thinking about TH400 or something like that because they're much cheaper and no electronics needed) and after all I've decided to go with 4l60e because "plug and play". But this wiring situation just stopped the whole process

Last edited by 340i; 03-27-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:10 AM
Teching In

Still nobody messed with it?
Old 03-27-2018, 06:53 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 340i
Still nobody messed with it?
Why is your range connector not wired to the pcm? Is it a swap vehicle? Whats going on?
You should at the least wire it up so the pcm has a park and neutral signal. It would be wise to have a neutral safety also. Reverse lights would probably be nice. That's what that switch does. It has nothing to do with the pressure switch manifold (psm) inside the transmission.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FourthGenCamaro
Why is your range connector not wired to the pcm?
All 4 wires thats currently connected (not been cut) on my range connector ARE connected to the PCM!

But I don't know what to do with the rest, which are not connected - that's the deal.
You should at the least wire it up so the pcm has a park and neutral signal.
According to chart from my first post there's power supply (what for? I mean why range connector even needs +12?) and ground along with reverse lights.

It's a swap vehicle, yes.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not exactly the same, since you have a different style switch, but i went threw similar troubles with my swap and everything is in this thread. Give it a read, it may help some.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ification.html
The following users liked this post:
55chevy (09-17-2019)
Old 03-27-2018, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 551 Likes on 427 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Try looking on this web site.
http://www.lt1swap.com/
Old 03-27-2018, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Actually I don't know what exactly should to do with these wires off my RANGE connector:

Pin 1 - PNP/Clutch start switch signal
Pin 7 - Ground
Pin 9 - Park Neutral position switch signal
Pin 11 - Ingition 1 voltage
Pin 12 -
Ingition 1 voltage

Maybe I don't need pin #9 as long as I will program my PCM to "P/N only" mode which needs only #8 pin that goes to #34 pin of the blue PCM connector (mine is connected).

Ground and both wires to ignition - okay.

But maybe someone can tell me how exactly shoul I connect them?

Originally Posted by bbond105
Try looking on this web site.
http://www.lt1swap.com/
I've started this thread after reading the whole website, also mentioned lt1swap in my first port
Originally Posted by micbegz28
Not exactly the same, since you have a different style switch, but i went threw similar troubles with my swap and everything is in this thread. Give it a read, it may help some.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ification.html
Thanks, found some info but not exactly the same as long as I don't have any of your connectors, so...

BTW my wiring harness came without starter solenoid wire and I thought maybe it had a wire that came from my RANGE connector to the starter?

But as long as I've cut off some wires from my PCM connectors (#5 "Delivered Torque Signal" and #12 "Ignition Retard Signal" came off according lt1swap.com chart) - maybe those wires that I have left now at the RANGE connector came in those PCM pins?
(Something like when my car is NOT in P/N it won't start).

Old 03-31-2018, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Bump...
Old 03-31-2018, 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 340i
All 4 wires thats currently connected (not been cut) on my range connector ARE connected to the PCM!

But I don't know what to do with the rest, which are not connected - that's the deal.

According to chart from my first post there's power supply (what for? I mean why range connector even needs +12?) and ground along with reverse lights.

It's a swap vehicle, yes.
Needs 12 volts to light up the reverse lights.
Get a DVOM and verify ground continuity 9.
Or do whatever it takes to send a park and neutral signal to the PCM. In other words send a ground to the pcm in park and neutral however you can. This only effects idle timing and a few other things.

If you can't figure it out, take the switch and it's wires off and throw them away.

It will run just fine without it.

The switch provides power to reverse lights while in reverse.
It lets the pcm know when it's in park and neutral.
It provides a neutral safety so it won't engage the starter in gear.

It does not connect to the starter. The starter start wire goes to the start relay. The range switch makes or breaks the relay coil power.

If you can't figure it out just bypass the neutral safety switch wire in the swap vehicle so it will start, and toss the switch and it's wiring in the trash or to do later box.

Sure would be helpful to know all the info. Say like what vehicle it's in. I have a swap vehicle and the neutral safety, park neutral, reverse lights are all handled through the shifter mounted switch. Thats why I tossed the transmission mounted range switch in the garbage.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:38 AM
Teching In

FourthGenCamaro, thanks a lot buddy!

And what kind of shifter are you using? (it's aftermarket I guess)

It will run just fine without it.
I was wondering will it run OK if I'll cut off these wires from my RANGE connector (they're currently connected directly to my PCM):
#4 - Transmission Range Switch Signal B
#5 - Transmission Range Switch Signal A
#6 - Transmission Range Switch Signal C
#8 - Transmission Range Switch Signal P

Did you cut off those wires as well?

I'm thinking of buying some kind of a passenger van (Russian crap actually but pretty cheap and all of them were only manual transmission so I'll have to mess with any kind of AT shifter anyway) and swap it in there...

But also I have a sitting about a year Volvo 740 wagon than needs some floor repair (but runs great).

I have to buy a transmission anyway and can't afford T56 (they're about $2000+ for used ones in my area) so messing with 4l60/80e.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Banned

I am using a shifter out of a 4th gen f body and the stock switch for it.
I wired it up to provide a ground to the pcm in park and neutral. And to have a neutral safety. It has two switches for these.
I made my own wiring harness so the range switch (pnp switch) wires were never there.

It works fine. It reads when it's in park and neutral as verified on hptuners scanner.
It also reads what gear it's in via the pressure switch manifold inside the transmission. The two switches operate independently.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Teching In

I am using a shifter out of a 4th gen f body and the stock switch for it.
I wired it up to provide a ground to the pcm in park and neutral. And to have a neutral safety. It has two switches for these.
I made my own wiring harness so the range switch (pnp switch) wires were never there.

It works fine. It reads when it's in park and neutral as verified on hptuners scanner.
It also reads what gear it's in via the pressure switch manifold inside the transmission. The two switches operate independently.
Thanks again!
I'll go the same way you did it.