Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Harness Modification

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Swap Harness Modification

Trying to work the final interior wiring demons out and its pretty close but i need some help.

I browsed threw the thread below a couple times, found a bunch of needed info, but theres still a few things i need help with.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...sion-info.html

99 Z28 originally a M6, being swapped to A4.

Pedals have already been swapped to auto pedals. Will be using a stock 4L60e shifter out of a 01 WS6. PCM and engine harness out of a 00 LS1/A4.

The switches at are my point of interest/trouble.

1. Stop Lamp Switch

Seems to be just plug and play. Same style unit as a M6 car. So we should be good here. If im wrong, let me know

Now, things start to get funky.

2. Clutch override switch
-Black/White & Grey wire 2 pin connector

Common sense says this is a 2 pin connector, to a regular "plunger" switch.
I should be able to just snip the connector off the wires and connect them together. Thus rendering the clutch override switch compressed all the time since the circuit is complete, therefor, itll start ! or crank atleast

3. Neutral Safety Swtich
-Green & Purple/White 2 Pin Connector

Same as the clutch switch no? if its a 2 pin connector, and its just a contact switch, wouldnt just connecting the 2 wires successfully by bass the switch?

HOWEVER, from what ive read, i can just snip the 2 wires and extended them to plug in to the A4 NSS. Pardon my stupidity, but i have not ever had to replace a NSS or mess with one on one of these cars, so were is it? is it on the shifter assembly ? or on the trans it self? Google gives me mixed answers. I have the shifter assemly i planned on used at home in a box, when i leave work ill swing by and open it up. See if theres any plugs or anything on it.

I know a NSS is a "safety" but honestly, you have to be a real buk buk buking idiot to start your automatic car in gear, so unless its needed to pass tech or anything, im okay with just jumping it. But if its something as simple as just extending some wires to a new plug, then may as well.

4. Reverse Lamp Switch
-brown & light green 2 Pin (Possibly, not 100%)

Folktale says that the Reverse lamp switch is on the side of the T56, which leaves me wondering what harness the reverse light switch is actually a part of? Is it on the dash harness or is it on the engine harness? I dont recall seeing any wires dropped down threw the shifter hole, or do they go threw on a grommet somewere?

I assume that on the A4 shifter i have boxed up, there will be some sort of contact switch on it for the Reverse lights. Which would allow me to just plug the existing reverse light switch into that switch and call it a day? Of am i just going to run a toggle for my reverse lights like there a light bar on my jeep???

Like i said earlier, im not really familiar with this stuff cus ive never had to do it. So ill be checking my shifter assembly i have to see if theres any plugs/switches on it. If there is that should answer some of my questions.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Looks like the shifter I got indeed does have the switch assembly on it. With what looks to be a 6 or 7 pin flat connector on it. I should be able to just pick up the pig tail from somewhere and then just match it up.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:59 AM
Launching!

So it appears that jumping the CSS as i stated before, would just render the NSS useless. So the CSS will be left as an open circuit, and the NSS wires will be extended to the A4 shifter.

Does anyone have a link to somewere i can get that pigtale online ?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Launching!

scored the pigtale off one of my local fbody guys.

going to figure out the wiring today
Old 06-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Name:  DE78D165-EB97-47D3-9F50-CDD554579B29_zpsgerznbyd.jpg
Views: 23256
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:  68ED3B66-B7A6-43DB-81C1-F29D2B3328F5_zpsmytwxbtb.jpg
Views: 22534
Size:  250.3 KB

i got the above information from my buddy that works at chevy.

Now, round 2 of confusion. but lets start with the simple stuff.

A. "Ground" -Is this as simple as i really think it is? can i just throw an eyelet on the end and ground it to the chassis?

B. "Neutral Safety switch signal"- I take it this is the wire i extend the current NSS wiring to and just connect it? Assuming 1 is a signal and 1 is a ground on the M6 NSS, i would extend the signal wire to the new piece and then do what with the ground? leave it be?

C. "Ignition 3 voltage" - lolwut. Do i just tap this into some form of ignition on power source?

D. "Back up lamp supply voltage" - Since the car was previously a M6, and the Reverse light switch is on the trans, and the wires for it are on the M6 engine harness, what do i do here? Were does this wire normally run to on a A4 car? Im pretty lost on this one.

E. "Starter Relay Coil Supply Voltage" - 1 of the 2 Thick wires on the plug, so im assuming it handles some voltage. Does this connect directly to the starter? or perhaps a relay?

F. "Clutch Start Switch Signal"- the other 1 of 2 thick wires on the plug. This one is rather confusing due to the plug, and pinout, being for a A4 car. Why does the Auto car have a Clutch start switch/What is it? Is it the same 2 pin connector clutch switch as the M6? if thats the case do i do the same as mentioned about the NSS and run the signal wire to this wire and then just ground out/leave alone the ground for the original CSS?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Launching!

...no one ?
Old 06-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Noone out here has done this before?

A- Just grounded, easy enough.

B- The C220 connector has 2 blk/org wires. 1 of which is for the NSS(Pin H) according to posted Pin out. Pin 34 on the blue PCM connector is the noted as a blk/org wire for the NSS as well. Im going to assume that wire goes from Pin 34 on the PCM directly to pin H on C220. So i will snip wrie and fix new wire to the blk/org from pin B of the shifter plug, yes ?

C-The second blk/org wire out of the C220 is pin F. This is labeled as "UART Serial Data" on the pin out sheet. I dont know what this means. Do i run pin C of the shifter plug to pin F of the C220? Or do i run it directly to the brown wire off fuse 2 of the interior fuse block "TURN B/U" which im assuming is Turn signal and Back up lamp

D- brown wire off "TURN B/U" feeds pin C and pin D goes to reverse lights threw connector 400. What is connector 400? and C powers D? Does the wire that runs into pin C also provide power to pin D? so when the shifter goes to the reverse position, it completes the circuit and signal is sent to the "turn B/u" fuse? Do i just run a wire from pin C to the brown wire?

E- Run this wire to the purple/white wire coming off the "STRTR" 15 am fuse on the fuse block under the hood? or can i just connect it to the purple/white wire by the pedals for the M6 NSS?

F-This one confused me a ton as well. "you can ground as well as some other wiring" So do i run this to a chassis ground? the C220 connector has a grey wire off it for the CCP singal. Which im assuming is the same grey wire that goes into the 2 pin connector for the M6 Clutch switch. Do i just run the wire for pin F to the existing grey wire for the Clutch switch?
Old 06-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Launching!

first, i wanna thank everyone here that helped me out with getting these answers !

anyways, heres how it goes.

A- Just grounded, easy enough.

B- The C220 connector has 2 blk/org wires. 1 of which is for the NSS(Pin H) according to Pin out. Pin 34 on the blue PCM connector is the noted as a blk/org wire for the NSS as well. T the wire off pin B into the wire that comes off pin H off C22

C- run the wire for pin C directly to the brown wire off fuse 2 of the interior fuse block "TURN B/U" which is Turn signal and Back up lamp. Pin C powers pin D....

D- pin D goes to reverse lights threw connector 400. so when the shifter goes to the reverse position, it completes the circuit and signal is sent to the "turn B/u" fuse. Connector C400 is a 6 pin connector near the driver rear tail light. It feeds the rear lighting. Obviously the reverse light wire is here. Tap into the wire.

E- Run this wire to the purple/white wire coming off the M6 NSS.

F- Run this wire to the green wire that comes off the M6 NSS

and that should be all
Old 06-10-2017, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by micbegz28
So it appears that jumping the CSS as i stated before, would just render the NSS useless. So the CSS will be left as an open circuit, and the NSS wires will be extended to the A4 shifter.

Does anyone have a link to somewere i can get that pigtale online ?
I'm going from a m6 to th400, Can I just extend the CSS wires and hook them to my NSS on the shifter, and not have to mess with the NSS wires on the car?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stock ta
I'm going from a m6 to th400, Can I just extend the CSS wires and hook them to my NSS on the shifter, and not have to mess with the NSS wires on the car?
Are you using the factory shifter? or an aftermarket one?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using the factory shifter? or an aftermarket one?
aftermarket, B&M Pro stick
Old 06-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stock ta
aftermarket, B&M Pro stick
that includes its own switches correct? If so i would follow the same plans i posted, but using the supplied switches instead of the 6 pin
Old 06-22-2020, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Attachment 584610

Attachment 584611

i got the above information from my buddy that works at chevy.

Now, round 2 of confusion. but lets start with the simple stuff.

A. "Ground" -Is this as simple as i really think it is? can i just throw an eyelet on the end and ground it to the chassis?

B. "Neutral Safety switch signal"- I take it this is the wire i extend the current NSS wiring to and just connect it? Assuming 1 is a signal and 1 is a ground on the M6 NSS, i would extend the signal wire to the new piece and then do what with the ground? leave it be?

C. "Ignition 3 voltage" - lolwut. Do i just tap this into some form of ignition on power source?

D. "Back up lamp supply voltage" - Since the car was previously a M6, and the Reverse light switch is on the trans, and the wires for it are on the M6 engine harness, what do i do here? Were does this wire normally run to on a A4 car? Im pretty lost on this one.

E. "Starter Relay Coil Supply Voltage" - 1 of the 2 Thick wires on the plug, so im assuming it handles some voltage. Does this connect directly to the starter? or perhaps a relay?

F. "Clutch Start Switch Signal"- the other 1 of 2 thick wires on the plug. This one is rather confusing due to the plug, and pinout, being for a A4 car. Why does the Auto car have a Clutch start switch/What is it? Is it the same 2 pin connector clutch switch as the M6? if thats the case do i do the same as mentioned about the NSS and run the signal wire to this wire and then just ground out/leave alone the ground for the original CSS?
Hi micbegz28,
I have my wiring harness almost done and the 7 pin neutral safety switch has been making me crazy. I have a Blue/Red harness for a 2003 1500 HD. I cant seem to find how the pins on the PCM match up with those on the 7 pin. I was able to match the 4 pin connections by the circuit number but that doesnt match up with the 7 pin. Please if you have any info or if you can point me to what im missing let me know.

Quick Reply: Swap Harness Modification