Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 Speed Auto in 4th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 10 Speed Auto in 4th Gen?

Costs asside, would it fit and properly bolt up and can a TCM be fabricated to communicate between the 4th Gen PCM and Transmission?
Old 06-23-2019, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

CAN it be done...yep
Old 06-24-2019, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
CAN it be done...yep
Would it require modification to the trans tunnel?
What all would it require?
Old 06-24-2019, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...imensions.html
Search function

Not sure anybody has tried it in a 4th gen...so I'm not sure what it would require to fit the tunnel

Yes it would fit the bellhousing and yes you could get a converter built to work fine.
You would need likely a newer TCM and CAN communication along with custom programming and alot of troubleshooting/debugging if you're going to be on the cutting edge.

To my knowledge, at this point in time, nobody has put a 10 speed with a gen3 or gen4 LS in a 4th gen camaro
Old 06-24-2019, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

any advantage to the 10 speed? other than cool I did it?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
any advantage to the 10 speed? other than cool I did it?
The answer to your question will vary significantly depending on who is answering your question.

In my opinion; anything more than a close ratio six speed, with double overdrive is a complete waste.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
The answer to your question will vary significantly depending on who is answering your question.

In my opinion; anything more than a close ratio six speed, with double overdrive is a complete waste.
Wouldn't a perfectly spec'd converter in a 3 or 4 speed massively diminish the benefits of a 6+ speed auto to a certain point....
Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Wouldn't a perfectly spec'd converter in a 3 or 4 speed massively diminish the benefits of a 6+ speed auto to a certain point....
100%
The reason for more speeds in these new vehicles is NOT for acceleration but for mileage. Keep the engine in the torque band...spec a camshaft for that specific torque range...and let the car be efficient as often as possible.
Essientially like having a CVT (which on paper is the best transmission...in real life they don't last) without the wimpy lifespan of a cvt

these new transmissions have GRANNY ratio low gears. I mean even the 6l80 is 4.xx 1st gear. that's darn near un-useable at elevated hp and trying to have Full throttle from a stop.
That's why there's been almost no drive for a transbrake in those cars...you just don't need it

If you're trying to go fast...it's probably not the trans for you. If you wan't to have good mileage and a car that shifts 9 times while you get on the highway...then it's for you
OR if you just want the novelty of being able to tell people at the local drive in car show "yep my 4th gen has a 10 speed"...then it's for you
Old 06-26-2019, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
From a performance standpoint yes. However the question that I quoted and answered had nothing to do with the best performance option...

NOBODY asked the question: "what is the best performance transmission option for a 4th gen f-body?"

The question asked, was: "any advantage to the 10 speed? other than cool I did it?"

Also lets look at the Chrysler 68RFE six speed double over drive transmission...

The first 4 gears would be used for a drag race.
Pair it with an ideal torque converter for the vehicle and engine.

Compare that to the THM400 also with an ideal torque converter...

Now the 3-speed does not have a massive advantage over the 4 shifts that will occur with the six speed double overdrive transmission.
The 3 speed of course still would diminish the benefits over the six speed double overdrive transmission from a performance standpoint, but not massively.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's definitely not for fuel mileage, the intent was to keep the motor in its powerband as much as possible.

For me here is what is happening and why I brought this subject up - I DD a 2017 Camaro SS 8 Speed Auto and the response of that car in terms of accelleration - its just always in the right spot of the powerband to accellerate quickly...it doesnt shift as fast as I'd like but there's a huge difference between how long it takes my 4th Gen to reach and remain in its sweet spot and vs my 6th Gen to reach and remain in its sweet spot.

Granted my 4th Gen is still mostly stock and on paper there's also about a 100 HP difference between the two cars -- when I switch cars it just feels like the LS1 needs atleast 2 more gears to spread out its powerband a bit more...

but yeah after reading up on the gear ratios I can see how that would be an issue - especially from a dig when adding more power.

So I am guessing the best thing to do is just stall the 4l60E?
Old 06-28-2019, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro

So I am guessing the best thing to do is just stall the 4l60E?
Correct. A bone stock, tuned 4l60e in a f- body feels like dog doo doo.
Shift kit/ calibrations, tune and a converter and the thing will feel night and day.

Here is the power band of my converter matching my setup all but perfectly.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I dream about a 8+ speed in my jeep..
Always being right on the up slope the power curve would make for some smooth climbing without breaking tires loose..
and I it would be happier with my too tall tires.. and 4.56 gears.

When the swap goes in I have to change r&p in both axels or the LS will be cruising at like 3500..
Old 08-23-2019, 02:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you mean like this?

Old 08-23-2019, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Costs asside, would it fit and properly bolt up and can a TCM be fabricated to communicate between the 4th Gen PCM and Transmission?
No, well not easily or effectively. They require two different types of signals. Only way I see this happening is with a motec or similar Standalone