Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank denies warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 05:19 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unhappy Yank denies warranty

YANK denied any warranty on my converter. There were 2 reasons.

1. I cut it open. I wouldn’t have cut it open if they were open or at least available to talk to. I called the number I had for them and got a message that said they would be closed for 2 weeks, that’s all it said. The tranny was all ready out and at FLP and I needed to get something rolling so I took it to a local converter shop to have it serviced. I was hoping all they needed to do was make sure it wasn’t full of crap and put it back together but it had larger issues.

2. He said it went bad due to a low line pressure problem and eventual burning up of the lock up clutch. Bad programming. Sure would be nice if he would have mentioned this as a potential problem when he sold me the unit. I had a transgo shift kit and also had my line pressure programming set up so all the numbers were about ½ of what they were stock (lower numbers = higher pressure). Not sure how much line pressure you can program in but there was some added at part throttle anyways.

Mike and I seem to not get along all that well. Many of the things he says to me do not make sense and it makes me wonder how much of anything he says is true. Let me explain my biggest reasons for me questioning his customer service.

Awhile back I called up needing a converter. I tell him I am putting together a 408/turbo/nitrous set up and would like to get a converter. He suggests the proyank3400e I like the way it sounded and ordered one. At the time all I was running was a stock 6.0 and a 125shot. Some of you may remember me posting about this not too long ago. I put the thing in my truck and am seeing a 4000stall NA and a 4700rpm stall with the nitrous. I call him up to see what is up and the first thing he tells me is I don’t know how to determine stall speed. I get online and talk to a bunch of people and go out and do some tests and everything everyone says agrees, it is stalling to 4000rpm NA. 4000NA was great at the time but far from ideal for what I had coming. I ordered a converter for my future set up.

I call mike back up and he tries to tell me that it will stall lower when I get my built motor and turbo on there. WTF. Where does that come from? A 408 with some boost and a shot out of the hole is going to have less torque than a stock 6.0? Didn’t make any since to me and after about 5 minutes of going back and forth he started yelling at me. He actually was yelling at me over the phone. I am a pretty calm and level person, I am not comfortable with yelling as a form of communications.

The last thing that concerns me is the drastic difference in suggested converters from what YANK built me and what Precision suggests. Yank says the problem was lock up clutch slippage and eventual burn up (due to low line pressure). Well I have to ask if the slippage could be due to the fact that the converter was just a poor choice for what I had planed. Keep in mind I got the converter they suggested.

Yanks converter > 9.5” single disk
Precisions suggested converter 10.5” tipple disk

If precision thinks I need a 3 disks and lets just make them larger too then what chance does the single smaller disk have?

I really don’t expect any thing positive to come of this post I just wanted to get it off my chest. The “worlds fastest 99+ Silverado” will not be running a Yank in the future.

Jim
Old 07-14-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. Ive had to deal with ******** that dont stand by there products and talk to me as if Im an idiot as well. There really isnt much you can do (if you arent local). I would think that you of all people would have some pull being as you are so well known. Did you mention that?? Im planning a 4L80 swap here soon and I can promise I wont buy a Yank after hearing this. I recently got a small bit of satisfaction from my tuner situation though and that was nice
Old 07-14-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the torque-holding capabilities of the 9.5" single-plate clutch were wildly overestimated. And the stall speed - the stronger motor will make it stall LOWER? haha. Sorry man.

It's been said different ways by many before me - "On the internet, one person's negative experience with your company can undo the reputational favor gained from the last 100 positive ones." In your case the information will reach THOUSANDS of people...
Old 07-14-2004, 07:00 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by James B.
It's been said different ways by many before me - "On the internet, one person's negative experience with your company can undo the reputational favor gained from the last 100 positive ones." In your case the information will reach THOUSANDS of people...
i did mention something along those lines. that the truck was prety popular and that people regularly contacted me for information on my set up. Mikes responce was something like they have more work than they have time for. I would think the $100 or $200 it would cost to fix this thing would be money in the bank for them but he didn't see it that way.

I really dont know anything about trannys or converters. After talking to several tranny guys and a couple of converter guys everyone says the same thing, either the converter or the tranny could have been the initial problem. Mike, after looking at the pic's, says there is no way the converter was the problem.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has Mike ever honored any warranty? My first one blew up on the dyno and my current one is having lockup troubles after 6 months. Next one will be a Vig or TCI.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hear of your TC.

Myself, I am gonna go TCI in a few months I hope.

This is not the only problem with Customer service I have read about from Yank. I know many praise yank Convertors but if I am ever in a situation that requires Customer Support I do not want to chance it with Yank.

Best of luck to you on the repairs. If you go with another TC will it be Yank???
Old 07-14-2004, 08:05 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by ActionJack
If you go with another TC will it be Yank???
I will never deal with Mike again.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmmm...I am in the market for a converter right now. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

I am also in the market for a TC. Thank you for posting your experience. If you had posted that Yank went out of their way to help you out in resolving the problem, that might have swayed me into buying my TC from them. But.......
Old 07-14-2004, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nuzee
I am also in the market for a TC. Thank you for posting your experience. If you had posted that Yank went out of their way to help you out in resolving the problem, that might have swayed me into buying my TC from them. But.......
ditto. i won't buy from them either. anyone who's yelling at their customers shouldn't be in customer service

--matt
Old 07-15-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Parish, poor customer service experiences like yours prevented me from getting a yank converter. Sure you can't change everyones minds about their converters, but they lost my business as well as others I know for that same reason.

I bought a TCI.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same issues with yank, they will never get anymore of my money, my last converter was a TCI and it was great my new convertor is a Neil Chance
Old 07-15-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Three of my buddies are running various Yank converters. My buddy's TruckThruster 3200 was slipping while locked up, so we installed a TransGo kit and it completely eliminated it. Its the PWM TCC lockup circuit contributing to it...Granted, the yank clutch obviously has less holding power, but its fine now. I've seen good and bad from Yank...Customer service is lacking for sure.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

i am just really sorry to hear all this
Old 07-15-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I see your frustration when a small business is closed for 2 weeks and you take matters into your hands. It is not a total surprise that cutting open the converter voided the warranty.

As a general proposition, I don't know how many shops will stand behind their converters and trannies when a shift kit has been added and the programming has been messed with too. Shift kits are designed to work with the stock programming. Improperly installed shift kits can screw up line pressure too as can bad programming. Tranny & converter manufactures assume their products will be properly installed and operated. The analogy is no different than asking a piston manufacturer stand behind their product after some guy with a 150 shot went lean and hit a 20:1 AFR. Now some shops will suck it up and fix it anyways, but I can understand when they say they won't.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you arn't one of mikes *** jockeys you get notta, TCI all the way kevin winstead will do what it takes to make you happy , from my experience with TCI , top notch customer service.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah as far as someone else cutting the verter open I can see him not warrantying it.

But I am with everyone that has stated they will not buy a Yank because of the BS everyone seems to go through with Mike. He can get hsi business elsewhere. I recommend TCI.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Exactly why i will not buy a Yank, cant get any kind of customer service. Im saving up for my next tranny, ill probably go with either a FLP or a Rossler. I definatlly going with a PI Vigallante converter though.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Default try Bradco Engineering

I have been using Bradco Engineering for About A year now he is very good at waht he dose my car picked up 10th on a coverter change only. he builds A lot of the 10.5 outlaw guys trans and coverters go to www.bradcoengineering.com or call Brad Ector at 502-955-6639
Old 07-15-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't buy a yank either because i heard about people having problems like that. I put a TCI in that was suppose to stall at 2600 but ended up like 3000 to 3200. I called them up and they sent me a new one in a week, i haven't had a chance to install yet, but they took care of the problem without complaining

Quick Reply: Yank denies warranty