Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm almost done with my swap but I need to clarify the wiring.

A. Shift Lock control circuit - Black/white wire from shiftlock control solenoid (Connector C200, Pin E)Do I just run this to pin A on the the other connector or does it have to tie in somewhere else as well?

Shiftlock Control:
A. PNP switch, Pin A
B. Brake light switchWhich wire do I need off of the brake peddle? Does it need to be a 12V source?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question on this also. Any 4l80 guys with lsxtune harness run shiftlock ,if so what did you do for wires. Sounds like you get three from reverse light plug and you have to run
one back to ecu if you didn't swap m6 to a4 harness.

Did anyone with t56 run the park lock cable. Is the t56 set up for this or do you need any other parts to make it work.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

just finished my m6 to a4, i connected the shifter switch and all the wires, but i dont have reverse lights. can anyone help?

my car was originally an a4 but i went to m6 and now a4 again. i color matched all the wires together. the only thing that dosnt work is my reverse lights. any ideas?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by themack56
just finished my m6 to a4, i connected the shifter switch and all the wires, but i dont have reverse lights. Can anyone help?

My car was originally an a4 but i went to m6 and now a4 again. I color matched all the wires together. The only thing that dosnt work is my reverse lights. Any ideas?

nvm, the a4 shifter wasnt working properly. So i changed shifters an vuala
Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I read stickies and did a search... still have questions.

I already did the a4 to m6 conversion in my race car...Pretty easy. now I am doing the opposite to my street strip car. I have the 00 A4 engine harness. I just installed the pedals and steering column. I have a pigtail wire set up that I believe was on the M6 pedals (can't remember because I completed the other car 6 mths ago) This pig tail didn't plug into anything in the A4 car, so I figured it must stay with the M6 car. Now that I put the pedals in, I still have a connector on the pig tail that doesn't pug anywhere in the car..... it is a black flat connector with I think 4 wires (not in my hand right now). I know there is a 2 wire connector that is part of the car, that would go to the clutch pedal. I can't for the life of me figure out where the hell this black connector goes! Anybody know?

Also, I am not completly understanding the part that showed the two engine harness connectors that go in the car. Am I supposed to switch the wires around that go to the M6 body harness to make other things function? Or do I just tap into them and wire them to the plug on the A4 shifter because they don't do anything now on the M6 harness?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have been reading the stickies and am trying to figure out some wiring probs. Car is not running yet (still building engine) but I want to have everything ready to go so I just put the motor and trans back in and don't have to mess with wiring crap.

Will the converter unlock when I press the brake like it should normally just by hooking up the connectors to the pedals or do I have to swap some wires on the connector comming in from the engine harness OR do I have to run another wire to the engine harness comming in to the car direct from the brake pedal?? I read the sticky and didn't understand that part with the two connectors showing the different color wires and how they mate up.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Well im doing the swap and now i need to find out where to get the pigtail for the pnp switch and what wires to cut and everything else. Im just about to put the tranny in as we speak.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Launching!

So i guess noone can help me
Old 02-04-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ls1N20
So i guess noone can help me

i would get the pigtail from the dealer which you can find guys here that can give you a discount for being a member PLUS this has been done quite a few times so do a search on trannie swap and you will find it for sure.

Good luck
Old 02-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Find it for sure? Everynight after i get fed up with the car i come on and search lmfao.
And when i do find one the company is no longer active or sold out. and plus another downside is i don't know where to wire it in the harness?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 AM
TECH Resident

Wow I am amazed that you can not get this part nor the info

Hopefully someone will come thru for you soon.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Launching!

So really no info on where to splice these wires?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok a bit confused. Are you going from t56 like me to auto or from auto to t56.
If you are going auto to t56 there was article in high tech performance might help out. If you are going t56 to auto then I should be able to help out. Also depends how you do it. I just got conversion harness in my car from t56 directly to 4l80e. Some guys would swap out to 4l60 then harness to 4l80.
I got my reverse lights working and my neutral safety switch to work.I am still working on getting the putting foot on the brake to go into gear to work and have to install a park lock shift cable but not sure my car has the right stuff in the column.

So what are you swapping exactly. And what harnesses/adapters are you using.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Launching!

What wires did you wire the pnp switch too? and what about the wiring underneah the kick panel?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok you were a t56 and now you are an a4? you put in a 4l60 harness in the car
?
What trans are you running..?

Basically if you were t56 you have the reverse wire on the trans passenger side that runs to the pnp switch on the new shifter. are you running stock shifter?
And yeah you take clutch wire not brake wire and run it to pnp switch. This will let neutral safety and reverse lights work. Is this what you want to work right now?
There was instructions on the wires to do this in some posts on the board. I forget what colors and pins go to where already. I have to dig up some diagrams that have somewhere that should help out.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok if we are talking original question I had it figured out I think but now forgetting a bit of the details. I tried simple hook up to get the shift lock solenoid to work and it didn't work right. I tracked down some wiring and it appeared would need to pull 12volt into the circuit and also there is some diode in the auto circuit presumably to stop current from going back into something . I also tapped wire directly from the computer so didn't have to mess with cutting by passenger side panel wires. Also as said I have t56 harness with 4l80 conversion harness.

I got my pnp switch on the shifter and got pigtail from wreck.Pigtail that went into the pnp switch. I hooked as said clutch wire to pnp switch and neutral safety worked fine.And hooked reverse lights to pnp and it worked fine. So that leaves shift lock solenoid and as said didn't work for me as said in the one post on the subject.Won't be working on car again for another month or so too cold in garage.Then should have definite instructions on how to get the solenoid working and hopefully the shiftlock cable as well. I bought new shiftlock cable anyone know if the t56 cars have the right stuff in the column to hook the cable too or might have to buy more parts. Don't want to have to swap out column just to get park lock cable to work right. Hopefully gm was lazy and both auto and stick cars have same part in the column or its cheap fix.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Launching!

can i run the car safely without pnp and shiftlock?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Of course. Neutral safety is handy and required at most tracks. Back up lights are nice to have as well.
As for having to put foot on brake to get it into gear again mostly safety thing not essential. And the shiftlock cable is more antitheft I think than anything.
I will be seriously trying to get both those things working on my car in a few months and be happy to post exactly what had to do.
I still want to know if manual car steering column is set up so you can just connect cable without needing any special parts.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Why woulnd't it be setup for it? Because if i can run without the pnp and shiftlock my car will be done in a matter of hours. but i put it on pause til i get the proper info on this.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am in the process of the m6 to a4 now.... finished the a4 m6 a few months ago on my other car. The m6 column will be missing the attachment for the cable. I just happened to notice this when I had both out of the cars. I took the part from the A4 column and put on the M6.

now before you ask why not just swap the whole colum;....... a4 car was 108k rough car.. became dedicated race car..... m6 car is 19k mile super clean car.

Quick Reply: M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info