Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with 2-3 shift. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with 2-3 shift. Please Help!

I have a Transgo shift kit installed in a 4L60E. At the track the car does not shift from 2nd to 3rd at the set shift speed. At WOT the car will hit the limiter before it will shift. I have HP tuners and have moved the 2-3 shift point down several times. I have 3.73 gears and the current shift speed is set to 54mph. By logging the runs I can see that the car reaches the limiter at about 69mph so it should have shifted long before this. Do any of you guys have an idea of what would cause this?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Teching In

ttt! Anyone?
Old 06-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

I know that for HPTuners you need to change the shift points by RPM as well as by MPH.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure that you have the RPM and MPH set low enough. IF it's mechanical you may have lost the clutch pack, I think. Flaring of the 2-3 shift at WOT was the first sign my tranny gave me that it was going out. Or the first part of it that went out, anyway.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Teching In

I have set all of the mph's in the various tables to 55mph and it still does not shift properly even at 68-69mph. I also have the RPMs set to like 5600 trying to get it to shift but it will still hit the limiter at WOT. Looking at a log from a pass, the RPMs climb to about 6000 and will hang around there untill I lift to make it shift. Is this what you mean by flaring of the 2-3 shift? One ineresting thing is when looking at a log where I did not lift for some reason the TPS% and Vehicle Speed Sensor showed zero for a split second while the car was hanging between 2nd and 3rd. What do you think is the 3-4 clutch pack going out? Or could there be another explanation like the Vehicle Speed Sensor?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

It's probably not the VSS if it handles the other shift and part throttle okay, and the speedometer is not off.

What I mean by flaring, if I am actually using the term correctly, is that the tranny would slip and the revs would jump up, somtimes hitting the limiter, before shifting and going back down.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the responce blkZ28spt. It doesn't seem to slip at all before shifting. Looking at the graph the RPMs pull up nice and steady to 6000, where I think it would shift, then it "floats" there going up or down by about 50 RPMs before I let off or it hits the limiter and shifts into 3rd. I cannot figure this out and have tried everything I can think of, just looking for some ideas or someone that has experienced something similar.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Unfortunately it seems to be mechanical. Hopefully somebody else can give their opinion as well.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Get out your wallet...you just entered Disco Inferno, the fried 3/4 clutch pak burial grounds.
Have a seat in the waiting room with everyone else. It's time for major surgery.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:25 PM
9 Second Club

what year is your car? Email me your hptuner file if you have one. I have an idea about your problem
cablebandit@charter.net
Old 06-14-2005, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

I'd suggest getting that file to cablebandit. From what I've seen he knows trannies.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Thank you cablebandit. My car is a 2000, I will email that hptuner file as soon as I get home from work. The car shifts great everywhere except the top of 2nd at the track. On the street it will hesitate a little but wil still shift into 3rd.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Holy Crap please let me know what you come up with on this!! My car is doing the EXACT same thing. I've had it tuned and retuned on LS1Edit and the tranny has been built twice now and even with a brand new 3-4 clutch pack the shift is the same. I've had a few people tell me they think my converter needs to be restalled. At the track last week I was cutting around 1.6 60's and losing all my momentum when it shifted form 2nd to 3rd putting me through the traps in 12.53 @ 104mph. To have that good of 60's and decent time, the mph sucks! Please pass on what you find out, you're not alone!
Old 06-15-2005, 04:28 PM
9 Second Club

cool! Ill let you know if I get his working right
Old 06-15-2005, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
cool! Ill let you know if I get his working right
I'd appreciate it
Old 06-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Guys I dont post much but i have lurked around here for some time now.
I have a 2K SS that is experiencing the same problem. 4l60e with a transgo and a 24k cooler. I had a tcs streetfighter tc in and kept banging the rev limiter as craigz28ss does. my tuner adjusted the shift point as well and tried a few differrent combinations. Still it kept banging the limitier and had horendous results. To no avail he leaned towards recomending getting the clutches looked at. Well I did and had the 4l60e rebuilt at 15K miles. I even yanked and the tcs sold it and installed a Yank SS3800. Got it all abck together and just ran it with a 10 bolt mind you and pulled the 1.6 60ft's on MT DR. 1/8 @ 85mph Running 3.73 as well. Car is cammed with a 224 and makes great power. As Craig mentioned - this saturday ran the car at Englishtown and look up just after the 1/8 and the car is screeming at 7k not shifting. Checked the fluid and let her sit and tried again and was floored with the launch but once again died halfway down the track. I just had the car scanned and the tranny is responding to the pcm and the electronics of the tranny are all working. No 3rd on this baby now. manually it goes into 1 and 2 and sits fighting to get into 3rd. I have OD but its acting silly. Low and behold I had to get towed on Saturday and I now am going to drop the tranny and get it looked at by the guy who rebuilt it.

Prior to this mishap the car shifted fine while on the street . dont really get on it on the street.

The fluid is now on the toasty side. You are not alone and I am so glad I found this post. Please lets keep up the dialouge here.

Last edited by sebss; 06-15-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sebss
Guys I dont post much but i have lurked around here for some time now.
I have a 2K SS that is experiencing the same problem. 4l60e with a transgo and a 24k cooler. I had a tcs streetfighter tc in and kept banging the rev limiter as craigz28ss does. my tuner adjusted the shift point as well and tried a few differrent combinations. Still it kept banging the limitier and had horendous results. To no avail he leaned towards recomending getting the clutches looked at. Well I did and had the 4l60e rebuilt at 15K miles. I even yanked and the tcs sold it and installed a Yank SS3800. Got it all abck together and just ran it with a 10 bolt mind you and pulled the 1.6 60ft's on MT DR. 1/8 @ 85mph Running 3.73 as well. Car is cammed with a 224 and makes great power. As Craig mentioned - this saturday ran the car at Englishtown and look up just after the 1/8 and the car is screeming at 7k not shifting. Checked the fluid and let her sit and tried again and was floored with the launch but once again died halfway down the track. I just had the car scanned and the tranny is responding to the pcm and the electronics of the tranny are all working. No 3rd on this baby now. manually it goes into 1 and 2 and sits fighting to get into 3rd. I have OD but its acting silly. Low and behold I had to get towed on Saturday and I now am going to drop the tranny and get it looked at by the guy who rebuilt it.

Prior to this mishap the car shifted fine while on the street . dont really get on it on the street.

The fluid is now on the toasty side. You are not alone and I am so glad I found this post. Please lets keep up the dialouge here.
Be sure to let us know what you find out once the tranny is pulled apart.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Cablebandit emailed me after taking a look at that file. This is what he said, "transrev/mile setting is good. look at your shift speed vs tps table. On the 2-3 shift you have it set to upshift at 54mph at 100%tps BUT look down and you have it set to downshift at 65mph...it is supposed to be set lower than your upshift speed. i would change that first and see what happens. I would think that would confuse the pcm and it wouldnt do jack...like it is doing."

I did not think about this but it is a very good point. The only thing is the setting I started with for the upshift was 69mph and it was hitting the limiter then also. But 69mph is really close to the rev limiter and it may not have been giving the tranny enough time to shift. I will try this out later and let you guys know what happens. A WOT pass at the track will be the true test though.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:10 AM
9 Second Club

cool...let us know....hopefully it is just a tuning issue and not tranny related.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

That makes total sense cause in OD It will shift at around 35 and then about 40-45 it upshifts. Wish I had the capability to mess with this on my own but I'll have to schedule a tune to get this corrected. Thanks for the advice and let us now how things turn out!!