Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overfilled trans! Easy way to drain some off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Overfilled trans! Easy way to drain some off?

I overfilled my new transmission and torque converter. Fluid was coming out of the vent on top of the trans. Noticed this after a very short drive and parked it.
How can I get the extra fluid out? An easy way would be great.
Will this cause some light shifts? The trans should be shifting pretty damn hard and its just kinda mediocre and inconsistent.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

very easy, you have 2 ways. 1. get under the car and loosen half the pan bolts and pull the pan down a bit to drain the fluid, 2. disconnect the pressure side of the trans cooler and have someont run the car for a min, it will pump itself out. You dont have to have an after market cooler, just disconnect the stock cooler that goes into the radiator.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
very easy, you have 2 ways. 1. get under the car and loosen half the pan bolts and pull the pan down a bit to drain the fluid, 2. disconnect the pressure side of the trans cooler and have someont run the car for a min, it will pump itself out. You dont have to have an after market cooler, just disconnect the stock cooler that goes into the radiator.
That's what I did. To make it easier to get the fluid into a container, I just grabbed about 1.5' of 1/4" brake line and stuffed into my B&M tranny cooler hose. Bent the brake line about 120*, and let it spout off into a an empty jug. Worked like a charm and no mess. You'll get about 2 quarts out in less than 10 seconds, so be careful. If you drain too much you might not want to put it back in the trans unless your jug was CLEAN.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I take it you dont have a drain plug?
Old 09-24-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question 4L60E Drainplug?

I honestly have'nt noticed...Is there a factory drain plug on the tranny pan, for an F-body 4L60E? If not, where can I get one & install it? Summit or Jeg's maybe? Thanks in advance. Gar
Old 09-24-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1GMCTruck
I honestly have'nt noticed...Is there a factory drain plug on the tranny pan, for an F-body 4L60E? If not, where can I get one & install it? Summit or Jeg's maybe? Thanks in advance. Gar
No drain plug on the stock pan. I'm pretty sure there are aftermarket pans with plugs. Also the Tahoe trans pan (many guys use it as a deep pan replacement) have the drain plugs I think.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up Tranny Pan Info...

Thanks for the info...Gar
Old 09-28-2005, 05:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

You can also buy a drain plug kit from AutoZone and install it yourself. Most aftermarket pans have drain plugs. I just ordered one for the extra two quarts it holds.

Bill
Old 10-10-2005, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Or,

You can buy one of the hand type pumps that they sell for gear lube. Then connect ~6' of plastic hose to the input, and run it down the dipstick tube. You can pump as much out as you like this way with NO MESS !

'J

Quick Reply: Overfilled trans! Easy way to drain some off?