Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp sending unit 4L60E?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp sending unit 4L60E?

What kind of fittings do I need to mount the sender in the pan? Any other placement options ?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Wondering the same thing about other placement options.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

you dont need anything, the supplied fittings with the gague(i assume you got an autometer gage) will thread right into the trans. There is a port right above the shift linkage that it can go into. when i get home i will post a link with picks on the install of this gague.. I just got my gagues today lol..
Old 10-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned

Default hey

You really want to tap into the the cooler line going to the cooler...in the 4l60E case that the top one...come off the transmission about an inch jus below the first bend..get a 1/4 inch T, two 5/16 inch krimp fittings and a 1/4 to 1/8 reducer...cut about 1 1/2 inchs assemble the T and your finished ...oh I forgot you need to install the sending unit into the 1/4X1/8 reducer..Now your really reading the temp of your fliud...who cares about how hot the pan or case are by the time they reach a danger zone your really in trouble...hope this helps Dave
Old 10-10-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Is'nt the top oil line...

that comes back to the tranny from the cooler, which goes to the top port on the side of the tranny, the cooler(already cooled by the cooler) fluid? Would'nt you want to know the temperature of the fluid going "TO" the cooler? The return line is also known as the "low pressure return". You can tell because it is the line that just has a piece of hose, hose clamped on it, up near the front...instead of the crimped permanent hose fittings that the high pressure line has. Straighten me out. Gar
Old 10-10-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you put the temp probe thru the pan, it is in the fluid while in the transmission. Would this be the most accurate temp?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

When you put the temp probe thru the pan, it is in the fluid while in the transmission. Would this be the most accurate temp?
Yes! Before I installed my Derale Deep Cooling pan I also drilled the proper size hole for a B&M Drain Plug Adapter (the one they sell for adding a drain plug to your stock pan). I then installed the adapter and welded it in around both sides. You could accomplish the same thing with a NPT weld bung I suppose - I just happened to have the B&M part laying around.

The gage sending unit will thread right into the adapter from the outside. You have to be careful of the placement of the adapter as to not interfere with any internal parts.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Yes! Before I installed my Derale Deep Cooling pan I also drilled the proper size hole for a B&M Drain Plug Adapter (the one they sell for adding a drain plug to your stock pan). I then installed the adapter and welded it in around both sides. You could accomplish the same thing with a NPT weld bung I suppose - I just happened to have the B&M part laying around.

The gage sending unit will thread right into the adapter from the outside. You have to be careful of the placement of the adapter as to not interfere with any internal parts.
I thought it would be the best place, although not the easiest
Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 AM
TECH Regular

BubaGumpShrimp, did you get a chance to take pics to post?

Also, seems like you would want to check the temp in the trans, not in the return line, no?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned

Default hey

Oooops sorry...made a mistake...I stand corrected...soooo use to looking at them on the bench...you know upside down. It is the lower of the two lines...Any way....when we monitor fliud temps we want to know what the temp is coming outa the converter...this is your true temp we've noticed a 10 to 40 degree differance between the converter and the pan....it's the converter that heats these units up, wouldn't really want to know what that temp is? Just a thought...hope this helps..Dave
Old 10-12-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is what i seen http://www.black98.cz28.com/photo6.html shows an install of a trans temp gague and the location he put the sending unit into.. Dave, what is that location on the trans/what is it used for. Im not saying im going to mount my sending unit in that location but if its just a blind hole it would be pointless to just measure the trans case temp and not the fluid...
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Dave-
Wazzup?! My Rock-On tranny is still going strong! Question about the fluid flow in a tranny:

I realize the converter is what imparts most of the heat to the fluid but when the fluid leaves the verter, does it go directly into the line that runs to the cooler or does the fluid flow back to the pan first - then out to the cooler?

-Jay-
Old 10-13-2005, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
here is what i seen http://www.black98.cz28.com/photo6.html shows an install of a trans temp gague and the location he put the sending unit into.. Dave, what is that location on the trans/what is it used for. Im not saying im going to mount my sending unit in that location but if its just a blind hole it would be pointless to just measure the trans case temp and not the fluid...
That looks pointless. I would believe that the fluid going to the cooler is what should be read since it is being sent there to be cooled right? So just cutting the hose and getting a T-fitting in there for the sending unit to go into is all that needs to be done? If so, I'm not going to waste my time having to tap my pan and doing a bunch of useless work.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
So just cutting the hose and getting a T-fitting in there for the sending unit to go into is all that needs to be done? If so, I'm not going to waste my time having to tap my pan and doing a bunch of useless work.
Amen to that!
Old 10-13-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

well you can always been even lazier and just bomb around with your laptop hooked up and read trans from Datamaster. But seriously where ever the temp is recorded from that is displayed in datamaster is with 5-10 degrees of what your sending unit would read if it's placed in the test port on the driver's side of the trans.

matt
Old 10-13-2005, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

dont mean to hijak but i have a problem... I hooked my temp guage up and it works but the light doesnt ( i know how to fix that) but now my ABS inop/TCS off/ engine service light are on and they wont turn off! what happened and how can i fix this. thanks

Matt
Old 10-14-2005, 03:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Dave-
I realize the converter is what imparts most of the heat to the fluid but when the fluid leaves the verter, does it go directly into the line that runs to the cooler or does the fluid flow back to the pan first - then out to the cooler?

-Jay-
Fluid leaves TC and goes past Converter Clutch Valve which routes it to the cooler.

Quick Reply: Temp sending unit 4L60E?