Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much space was between your Fuddle and the bellhousing holes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much space was between your Fuddle and the bellhousing holes?

Hey everyone, I'm at my wits end with this one. I recently purchased a Fuddle converter from John. The first converter I recieved had MAYBE 3/8 inch distance between the face of the bellhousing and the pads on the converter. I didn't think this was right, so John sent me a new converter and this one has about 1/2 inch between the face of the bellhousing and the pads on the converter. Does this sound right to you? I thought I was supposed to have at least 1" clearance, that's what my old TCI had.

I need some help on this before I call John and bother him again.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just measured a stock trans/tc that have never been apart, with the converter all the way in it measures 1 1/8".
You might try more lube on the input and o-ring maybe after you inspect the splines for burrs, then push harder or spin and push until it goes in.

One way I check is to wiggle the converter up and down, if it moves it's not engaged, if it's fairly tight it is and might be a build problem. I seriously doubt you got two with the same problem.
Check your stator support splines for wear, look in between the stator support and seal to see if the pump lugs are not broken.

If you had the pump bushing changed it might be crooked and binding.

Hell I hammered a converter into a th350 once because the bushing was crooked. Few hundred miles later the bushing walked out, hit the seal, etc including small fire
Just a few things to check.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the help. It's a new rebuild from Rock-On that hasn't been installed yet. The old TCI I have slide on with absolutely no problem. I doubt it's the same problem with 2 converters also, but there must be something I'm overlooking. The lugs are fine, the converter does wiggle. I'm gonna have to grease up the input and oring.

What if the input doesn't feel completely smooth? As in, my fingernail gets stuck when sliding between the "valleys" on the smaller diameter shaft.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

This might not be such a good idea, but I've some synthetic suspension bushing grease. Would it not be a good idea to use this on the o-ring and input?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Alright, I slapped some grease on the input and got it to about 7/8-15/16. I stood the trans on it's end and spun it till I couldn't spin anymore. It spins freely, but if I spin it real quick and let go, it'll come to a stop similar to how a quarter a would if you spun it on end. Seems like it's hopping ever so slightly as it stops.

I'm still not convinced that it's on all the way though. I guess I'll try again later.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Banned

A little bit of any grease should work.
You've got to remember that your old tc has pretty much mated to the input, etc on the trans. The new tc is going to be a tighter fit onto the shafts, even onto a new trans.
I think you need to maybe tap it with a small block of wood but yet I won't suggest you do that. If it's not engaged to the pump you could do damage.
I would hold it straight as possible and tap it in, trying not to turn it too much since it might mess up the bushing.
I might also consider putting some fluid in the pan, put the converter on as far as it will go and spin it, if fluid comes out of the cooler lines then it has engaged onto the pump and can be tapped on with less worry about messing the pump up.
I guess my point is lube it up and use a little more force.
Use my advice at your own risk.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kpowr82
Alright, I slapped some grease on the input and got it to about 7/8-15/16. I stood the trans on it's end and spun it till I couldn't spin anymore. It spins freely, but if I spin it real quick and let go, it'll come to a stop similar to how a quarter a would if you spun it on end. Seems like it's hopping ever so slightly as it stops.

I'm still not convinced that it's on all the way though. I guess I'll try again later.
Good luck, I'm done wondering whats wrong with my tc and trans, I know how you feel.
If you set the trans back down you might gain that 1/16" to get it to 1".
Old 12-20-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the help. I left a message for John, hopefully he can get back to me tonight. So I can just put fluid into the dipstick hole and it should send it down into the pan right? How much fluid are we talkin here? Sorry if I sound like a complete moron, I just don't want to mess anything up.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Don't forget to initially fill the verter up with a quart or so of tranny fluid thru the opening in shaft before you install - not a good idea to start them up dry...

-Jay-