Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans Temp Gauge?

Hey guys, does anyone kno how I would go about installing a trans temp gauge on my 4L60E trans. Im running a Hayden Trans cooler mounted on the front of the radiator/condensor with a Fuddle 3200 stall converter and I wanted to be able to keep an eye on trans fluid temps.
Thanks!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Autometer Electrical Trans Temp gauge. For the most accurate temp reading run the sending unit through a t-junction into the exiting coolant lines from the right side of the tranny.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test port on the tranny or install a bung in the pan.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:33 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The top line on your transmission is the cooler return line. This would be the best place to mount the t-junction. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just put my sensor in the port on the driver side right around the shift linkage area..should be a plug in there now..i know its not quite as accurate as it would be inline, but it gave me a pretty good idea and that is better than nothing..and it was a piece of freaking cake to install.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
The top line on your transmission is the cooler return line. This would be the best place to mount the t-junction. Good luck!
Can you explain why mounting a sensor in the cooler return is better than the pressure port, because this question is always ask.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redbandit98
i just put my sensor in the port on the driver side right around the shift linkage area..should be a plug in there now..i know its not quite as accurate as it would be inline, but it gave me a pretty good idea and that is better than nothing..and it was a piece of freaking cake to install.
Do all trans gauge sensors fit in this location? What sensors are you guys running that use this port?

Tahnks

Last edited by 99whitews6; 05-09-2006 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:01 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cbrich
Can you explain why mounting a sensor in the cooler return is better than the pressure port, because this question is always ask.
When you mount the sensor in the pressure port you are reading temps of the main line pressure, meaning pump pressure. You also have the tc right there and when stalling it gives off tons of heat that transfers directly into the pump. I've always been taught that the sensor needs to be mounted in the return cooler line or in the oil pan. In these locations you will get a much more accurate reading of oil temp. The reason is because the temp of the oil is fairly close to over all trans temp. Cooler oil is lube oil pressure/flow and this is what is used to cool and lube the parts. The temp of that oil is much closer to accual trans temp. I hope this makes sense. I do know that main line pressure tap is the easy way to go but IMO not correct.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

That makes sense about the pressure port. However, if your on the cooler return line and you have a very efficiant cooler, won't you be reading lower temps than what's in the pan? Like you, I think the pan is probably the best place (where mine is). Seems like most people go for the pressure test port because its easy.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

I too think the pan is the best place to mount the sender, but I've got mine in the pressure test port and it reads spot on with what HP Tuners says while I'm scanning the car. So if doing it the easy way shows me the same temp the pcm sees, that's good enough for me.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned

The pressure port quit simply is a dead end (meaning you don't have any fliud flow) It'll only get as hot as the case gets which is in no way the temp of the trans fliud. Putting the Tap into the cooler line gives you the true temp right out of the converter, which in my humble opinon is the temp you wanna monitor. However there are those who choose to install the tap into the lube circuit (upper or return oil), this gives you the temp of the lube (cooled) oil. Putting them in the pan just makes a mess/however is a better place than the pressure port....but still not as true as the cooler/ lube return lines...hope this helps Dave
Old 05-09-2006, 10:31 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DanZ28
That makes sense about the pressure port. However, if your on the cooler return line and you have a very efficiant cooler, won't you be reading lower temps than what's in the pan? Like you, I think the pan is probably the best place (where mine is). Seems like most people go for the pressure test port because its easy.
Cool your with me! Lube oil temp is very close to REAL temp! What you see in the sump is close but we are looking at is lube oil temp. COOLER is better..
Old 05-10-2006, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Great info guys! Mine is already mounted to the top of the pan so I'll just go with that. Sounds like alot of people are using the test port, Hmmm.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Mine is also mounted in the pan. I have never seen my temp go above 180* and that was when I was stuck in traffic for awhile.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by poncho2001
Mine is also mounted in the pan. I have never seen my temp go above 180* and that was when I was stuck in traffic for awhile.
Sounds like your right in line with it being where it should be. Try some WOT runs (from a stop) and see if it holds 180*..

Dan
Old 05-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rock-On
The pressure port quit simply is a dead end (meaning you don't have any fliud flow) It'll only get as hot as the case gets which is in no way the temp of the trans fliud. Putting the Tap into the cooler line gives you the true temp right out of the converter, which in my humble opinon is the temp you wanna monitor. However there are those who choose to install the tap into the lube circuit (upper or return oil), this gives you the temp of the lube (cooled) oil. Putting them in the pan just makes a mess/however is a better place than the pressure port....but still not as true as the cooler/ lube return lines...hope this helps Dave
Anybody know where the PCM reads tranny temp? I'm running an aero force gauge and I've just been going off what the PCM is telling me.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Banned

pcm reads it out of the pan....on the manifold switch body.Its mounted to the valve body....we've seen some of the gages read 40 degrees difference..IMHO they aren't very accurate, pretty generic.....Hope this helps...Dave
Old 05-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rock-On
pcm reads it out of the pan....on the manifold switch body.Its mounted to the valve body....we've seen some of the gages read 40 degrees difference..IMHO they aren't very accurate, pretty generic.....Hope this helps...Dave
So might be a better idea to get an autometer guage then? I got the aeroforce gauge because it could read so much stuff. Almost looks like the water temp reading I was wanting with this gauge follows the same dummy reading as the stock needle gauge so its almost worthless to me in this car.

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Gauge?