Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002 | 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Trans Temp???

I currently have a Yank 3000 with Hayden Maxi-cooler; currently routed thru the radiator and then to the cooler.
Has anyone ever just routed the Trans lines directly to the cooler? I need more cooling.
When cruiseing up a long hill in 4th OD, the trans will still heatup even though the engine/radiator temp is about 198 degrees and the converter unlocks and the trans will go into "limp mode".
I live in the high desert so the Winter is not too harse.

<small>[ June 03, 2002, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: highgear ]</small>
Old 06-03-2002 | 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Trans Temp???

You can do that if you have a 24,000 GVW cooler.

I would suggest that you get a 160 T-Stat and fan settings to match. This will drop your radiator temp which will also help the tranny temp.
Old 06-03-2002 | 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

According to atap the highest my tranny has seen all year has been 171. 99% of the time it is in the low 160's.

I have mine b&m cooler run independent of the radiator and it seems to work great. Most of the front of my car is gone (bumper,ac, fog lights, etc) so the cooler gets lots of air on it. I have it mounted on the right brace where the bumper used to attach.
Old 06-04-2002 | 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think my cooler is rated at 22,000 GVW.
I was just thinking that it would cool better by going directly thru the cooler which will see a maxium of 110 degrees in the Summer as opposed to the radiator which is 180-198 degrees. I have a fan switch.
Old 06-04-2002 | 02:15 AM
On The Tree

The only negative I can see by bypassing the radiator TCooler is if you are in a lot of stop-n-go or very slow traffic. If that is the case, you'd have very little airflow over the aftermarket cooler - unless your cooler is mounted where the fans will pull air through it.

In Vegas (weren't you here? I think I remember your name), we get hot, too. I've never had a problem w/ my Y3000 (have an LT1, though) converter unlocking. You mention temps of 198 degrees; is this tranny or engine coolant temps? If this is the trans temp, I'd think it is OK since the stock fan settings are in the high 2-teens range. Is the 198 figure accurate? How was it measured?

Edit: I did not see a 160 Tstat as a mod - do you have one? If not, your fan switch won't really help things.

<small>[ June 04, 2002, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Gearhead ]</small>
Old 06-04-2002 | 02:56 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Is there need to put more fluid in the trans when adding a cooler?
Old 06-04-2002 | 08:22 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

From: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dom:
<strong>Is there need to put more fluid in the trans when adding a cooler?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes

On the original post, don't know if that would help you or not. I've been running through the radiator and back through a 24000 GVW B&M and have had zero problems with my ST3500 overheating here in FL. I have my cooler mounted on pass side bottom of condensor.

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2002 | 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gearhead........
Yes, I used to live in Vegas.
My cooler is mounted in front of Condenser so it gets plenty of air.
Fan switch will keep the radiator at 185.
Try going up Mountain Pass or Baker Grade in 4th OD (with fans off) and see if you have any problems.
Sure, I can keep it cool with the fans on BUT I never had this problem before the converter install.
Old 06-04-2002 | 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

The observation I have is put the thing in 3rd going up a hill and you will see a drop in trans temperature by about 20 deg F. Overdrive and hills is a bad idea.

Gary