Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Trans Help!!!! Tinging when shifting into Reverse and then to Drive...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans Help!!!! Tinging when shifting into Reverse and then to Drive...

I just bought my gf an 01 TA and now after a few weeks I have this tinging sound (like an aluminum pinging sound). Thats the best I can describe it. I only get it when I shift from park into Reverse then when i shift from reverse into drive. I got underneath and rattled things around to see if there was anything loose and didn't hear anything. I was thinking U-joint but I need someone who knows the drivetrain way better than I do to verify and maybe give me some more information.... THanks
Old 11-09-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZmyHPandrun
I just bought my gf an 01 TA and now after a few weeks I have this tinging sound (like an aluminum pinging sound). Thats the best I can describe it. I only get it when I shift from park into Reverse then when i shift from reverse into drive. I got underneath and rattled things around to see if there was anything loose and didn't hear anything. I was thinking U-joint but I need someone who knows the drivetrain way better than I do to verify and maybe give me some more information.... THanks
Me and my friend get the same sounds with out cars! Would like to know what this is!
Old 11-09-2006, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

It is your aluminum driveshaft, nothing to be alarmed about. When you are changing from reverse to drive or vise versa, the driveshaft is just echoing the sound from changing direction.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Yes.... but, this is not a natural sound. I have had three of these cars and never had it now I have it all the sudden. Any thoughts?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Well there could be something loose inside the drive shaft , I had a mustang once that made a sound like that and it had a peice of broken aluminum in it interestingly it also was the cause of and anoying vibrate i had at around 80 mph up I had been looking for forever

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-11-2006, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

And what are the options to fix a problem like that? Replace the whole thing?????
Old 11-12-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine and my friends WS6 do the same thing. It's nothing!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Late model aluminum driveshafts are noisy... typically because they are laminated fiberglass inside the aluminum tube. My 2003 Dodge truck does the same thing occasionally. The driveshaft issue is minor and will not affect driveability... more of an annoyance than anything.

However, my business partners 2001 Explorer does it... also exhibits the vibration at highway speeds, we found the driveshaft to be the cause after replacing the tires... we had been wondering about a vibration at highway speeds for some time, wrote it off as tires, but put it on the rack recently as we had been getting concerned, found the driveshaft to be the cause.... but no big deal in this case, just needs to be replaced.
g