Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Cooler Install (Pics Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Cooler Install (Pics Inside)

I finished up my trans cooler install a week ago and drove it this week to make sure everything was working properly. I was going to mount the cooler Dope style but I decided to try a way I have yet to see anyone do. The main reason for not mounting it dope style was because I wanted to have some kind of fan action in case I get stuck in traffic. It took me sometime but I like things to look factory or almost that and I figure this is about as good as it gets. I did not want to use the nylon zip ties because of the possibity of damaging the radiator and condensor. I really only had to drill four holes and trim some small portions of the plastic shroud that is behind the windshield washer container. I spent alot of time fitting and measuring but I am happy with the finished product. Here are the pics.

This was the first trial I had to remove the plastic shrouds and use a dremel to drill the holes. Spacing off the radiator was perfect. I did end up spacing the bottom mounts in the end for clearance.

These are the final install pics. Things turned out nice. I do not see any change in the engine temps so far and now I am ready for my SS3600.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

looks good...i decide to mount mine dope style, but i think i might change it in the future
Old 12-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Teching In

That is sweet, i'm changing mine

may I ask a stupid Q what is dope style?

Last edited by BXD_LT!; 12-23-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BXD_LT!
That is sweet, i'm changing mine

may I ask a stupid Q what is dope style?
You'll find plenty of info.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dope style is hard to decribe without a pic. Basically you mount the cooler to the air dam and cut some plastic out that connects the bumper to the underside plastic. I forgot to mention I used 1/8 x 1 aluminum stock I picked up from home depot and grabbed some micellaneous stainless hardware to keep everything from rusting. I had also grabbed some 1/8 x 3/4 aluminum stip but thought the 1 inch stuff would not be as flimsy. After reading some posts on here I decided to not use to hose that came in the B&M kit and got some Goodyear hose from Auto Zone. You could really tell the difference in the quality.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

cool,
right now mine is mounted flat right behind the air dam..
I was thinking about cutting some holes in the dam so air could get to the cooler when moving.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

I mounted mine almost exactly like yours. Except I re-used the two bolts you see at the bottom of the oil cooler in that second picture. I had to bend the mounting brackets if I remember right but, worked out great IMO.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Hey I am all new to this, and I was wondering, How much work does this actually intale. Is it like a weekend project or an hour or two? What are the benifits for getting one, and were is the best place to get one at?

Lane
Old 12-28-2006, 09:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by THE CHOP SHOP
After reading some posts on here I decided to not use to hose that came in the B&M kit and got some Goodyear hose from Auto Zone. You could really tell the difference in the quality.
Good man!

The B&M hose sucks. The walls of the hose are too thin to really clamp down on without bottoming out the clamps. After running B&M coolers for many years using their supplied hose and always having leaks to deal with, I finally wised up and got some Goodyear hose. I've never had another leak on any car since, for years. The Goodyear hose is a 100% improvement in quality over the crap B&M provides.

I use a similar mounting method as yours. But I just mount the cooler directly to that metal frame that you have the brackets mounting to, using similar stainless hardware. Then I drill two oversized holes in the air deflector to run the cooler lines through. That way the bend angle in the hose is very wide making it as easy as possibile for fluid to pass. And the holes are large enough that the lines don't get tugged on when the deflector occasionally scrapes the ground.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good man! Pretty much the same way I have mine

Quick Reply: Trans Cooler Install (Pics Inside)