Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is whats needed for the 4l60e to 4l80e swap!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good stuff in here! i am so use to the 70s! lol
Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So lets say i get a 4L80e and bypass the electronic stuff, i just "throw it in" and thats it. The crossmember and driveshaft would be the only real things i would need to worry about (besides cutting of the "ears" on the bellhousing for better clearance in the tunnel?) Other question would be that im assuming it would be cheaper to get a manual 4L80e done since well there are no electronics ($$) Am i correct at all in that? Also if its manual and put it in "D" how would the 4L80e trans work exactly with 'nothing controlling it'? Would it start off in 3rd or 4th or would it "go through the gears" like an old school th400 etc Im just debating for the money to either go with a 4L80e for the overdrive or a th400 but since my car is turboCharged im having a hard time understanding how the th400 or manual 4L80e would work seeing especially that the TH400 works on vacuum (boosted would be somewhat of a "problem" wouldnt it?) how do i get around this and would i have an issue

THANKS sorry for the short story
Old 02-01-2008, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

From what i have seen, if you get a manual valve body, its in the gear you have it in. No automatic shifting at all. IF you are in D your in d not 1, far as i know...not an expert tho. I am starting my 4l80e install stuff tonight...what a blast....that is once i fit that under my car.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:51 AM
TECH Resident

anybody else?? i wanna hear from some tranny shops see what they have to say as well, but thanks for your opinion im guessing that will be the case too but want a clear answer from someone who knows or deals with thewse transmission on a daily basis. thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L80E.htm

read quadzilla, but yea see what some vendors say.
I am starting to think less and less ppl have actually done this swap personally.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nahasapeemapetalon
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L80E.htm

read quadzilla, but yea see what some vendors say.
I am starting to think less and less ppl have actually done this swap personally.
I'm doing it by the spring, being built right now
Old 02-02-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

thanks, and websy yea i know its being done and alot of people are doing it, its just im trying to figure out if ( already figured out the pros ad cons and if its worth going to the th400/4L80e) but since i chose the 4L80 im deciding whether or not i want to shift it all the time etc etc. Not dealing with the electronics would save me some precious time and precious money I can deal with shifting it manually though i use to chift my 4L60 like that all the time so i might just go full manual. It would probably save soem gas with some second or thrid gear starts at a light lol Somebody with a solid answer come in, or is it jus that simple that no one wants to reply? 1st is 1st and if im comepletely stopped and put it in "3rd" or "d" it will be in that gear coming out of a red light for example? I think im reading too much into the whole full manual thing instead of just knowing that it will be like what NAHASA---- said
Old 02-02-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been looking into other options and wanted to know if anyone has tried the 4STB-E, which is the Ford AODE/4R70W, like the one here at this link. http://www.fbperformance.com/page.as...t=TopR_BottomL
I am not trying to get the thread off track. I would like to know if anyone has tried this, and if anyone knows the pros and cons to this trans, as compared to the 4L80E.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fenix999
thanks, and websy yea i know its being done and alot of people are doing it, its just im trying to figure out if ( already figured out the pros ad cons and if its worth going to the th400/4L80e) but since i chose the 4L80 im deciding whether or not i want to shift it all the time etc etc. Not dealing with the electronics would save me some precious time and precious money I can deal with shifting it manually though i use to chift my 4L60 like that all the time so i might just go full manual. It would probably save soem gas with some second or thrid gear starts at a light lol Somebody with a solid answer come in, or is it jus that simple that no one wants to reply? 1st is 1st and if im comepletely stopped and put it in "3rd" or "d" it will be in that gear coming out of a red light for example? I think im reading too much into the whole full manual thing instead of just knowing that it will be like what NAHASA---- said
Yes, it would be like a manual trans. If you shift it to 3rd then when you stop, if it is still in 3rd, you will be in 3rd. It will not have any automatic to it. If it is in D, then it will be in 4th. No 1,2,3, then 4. You will have to select the gear you want to be in just like you do a standard trans.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the response, yea i was thinking too much into this and i kinda figured it would be a 4 speed "manual" automatic tranny no matter what it came down to. Anyways back to the 4L80e and the ford tranny, im pretty sure you would have to do some more modification to get the ford tranny to work in a LS1 application and the 4L80e would be a breeze to install since its so compatible. Also the 4L80e when built even decently will hold stupid power, and by stupid power i mean 700+ horsepower. Just like one of the trans websites points out, these 4L80's are built for trucks pulling 10,000lbs so in a high horsepower car, im pretty sure it will handle it with relative ease. Thats what ive gathered so far so dont hold me to that, only thing i do know for sure 100% is the 4L80 will do anything you want it to and be perfect for basically any real high performance combo

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
I have been looking into other options and wanted to know if anyone has tried the 4STB-E, which is the Ford AODE/4R70W, like the one here at this link. http://www.fbperformance.com/page.as...t=TopR_BottomL
I am not trying to get the thread off track. I would like to know if anyone has tried this, and if anyone knows the pros and cons to this trans, as compared to the 4L80E.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Also i jus noticed that ford tranny is essentially a 3 speed, for that hassle of using a ford tranny just use a built up turbo (TH400) which is also a 3 speed and will handle anything you throw at it. TH400 is the same as the 4L80e and 4L80 except the th400 is mechanical 3 speed (vacuum operated) and has no electronics whatsoever. $l80 is mechanical but has overdrive and 4L80e electronic with overdrive and is overall the best overall for someone who wants an auto street car with overdrive for highway runs or cruising
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,137 Likes on 740 Posts

I'm glad Joel created a master sticky, this thread is great!

Here is what I don't get. So we don't have to focuse on later model 4L80E's, the 97+ stuff works, input shaft and all... No spacers? I want to do a 4L80E in either my Formy or the Merc.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

Here is what I don't get. So we don't have to focuse on later model 4L80E's, the 97+ stuff works, input shaft and all... No spacers? I want to do a 4L80E in either my Formy or the Merc.
Thats right John, no spacers like a th400. All you need is the right yoke for the driveshaft. There is 3 or 4 different possible ones that you could need and is the only real headache I can see but with that contact info there it shouldn't be a prob.

I am curretnly getting a custom T/C made and the trans rebuilt right now so its jsut around the corner that I'll need to start gathering the swap items. Ain't much though, SFI flexplate, harness, x-member, dipstick, trans-mount and obviously the yoke I mentioned. Haven't looked into the cooler yet but shouldn't be a problem at all. I know I got an aftermarket one right now for my 60 but not sure if it will work. These few items and make some clearance in the tunnel for the ole girl and we're set for lift off
Old 02-09-2008, 06:59 AM
9 Second Club

O.K. So the guys at Williams Performance have been feverishly working on getting a 4l80e to work in my 05 GTO. We are using a TCI controller and they are having a hell of a time getting it to work. It keeps throwing a tranny code that causes the computer to lose knowledge of what gear the car is in. It doesn't recognize the shifter lever position once the code is set which is very quick. Any ideas on this?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

~ The wiring harness, and harness adapter from speartech. The main 4l60e harness plug will not work with the 4l80e. Speartech has and adapter the plugs into the 4l60e harness then plugs into the 4l80e. The other harness that comes with the kit it the VSS plug. The 4l80e has two VSS senors on the drivers side and the stock 4l60e only has one. You will have to connect this to the actual PCM its self. then plug the new added harness into the FRONT VSS. If you plug it in the rear you are going to have idle problems. (been there done that, lol)

I'm a little confused here, maybe I'm just reading it wrong. You're saying it cames with the harness to go from the stock tranny harness to the new transmission and another VSS sensor that needs to be spliced into the pcm? I'm assuming that the main reason why you have to have your ocm flashed is to use the second sensor?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

PSJ.... We could walk you through it. We do custom installs frequently ourselves. Shoot me a p.m. or give me a call.

There are several different options to choose from.

g
Old 02-19-2008, 09:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by T-Bones Goat
O.K. So the guys at Williams Performance have been feverishly working on getting a 4l80e to work in my 05 GTO. We are using a TCI controller and they are having a hell of a time getting it to work. It keeps throwing a tranny code that causes the computer to lose knowledge of what gear the car is in. It doesn't recognize the shifter lever position once the code is set which is very quick. Any ideas on this?
I have limited experience with this controller. If you could get me the schematic and a copy of the owners manual I could lend a hand.

g
The following users liked this post:
omarsr67 (05-01-2024)
Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
FormerVendor

Currently there are a few solutions for controlling the 4L80E in conversion applications.

One is to get with Speertech and have them supply an overlay harness to convert a 4L60E harness to a 4L80E harness. One needs to be very well versed in handling PCM wiring terminals in order to use this harness. Then simply have the PCM reprogrammed to accommodate the 4L80E.

Another is to use a Compu Shift stand alone controller. This is the unit I recommend.
There are others manufacturers, but I do not have much experience with them. TCI has a unit, and I believe Painless Wiring has one... or is developing one.

Yet another option is to use a Manual Valve Body. It requires manually placing the shifter into each gear constantly. It is not for everybody.

And then there is the automatic valve body with a Trans Brake. It is made by Carl Rossler. It could not be used with a Manual Valve Body until very recently. The reason is in order to achive Braking the shifter had to be in the D position. Carl told me recently that he has recently received his Patent Pending staus on the Manual Valve Body / Brake unit and will be releasing them this spring... stay tuned.

If you have any questions about a 4l80E for your combination don't hesitate to give me a call. I have found that when these are retrofitted into different cars it turns out be very vehicle specific.

One important comment to make here is that when tying into a front ABS wheel speed sensor the ABS system is rendered useless.

Hope that helps.

g
Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

This thread just keeps on gaining great info, I wish I had a rmvb with a rossler t-brake on my 80 but ohh well it will still be great. I can't really justify using it anways as mostly a street car but that combo would definetly haul some ***!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

You must send your file into hp tuners and have them re-format it because they dont have anyway to do it for our own hp tuners. Now if you using efilive it might be different. I used the speartech harness and it was an easy install.

Quick Reply: This is whats needed for the 4l60e to 4l80e swap!