Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard can it be to rebuild a th350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard can it be to rebuild a th350?

This is going to be my third th350 tranny and im sick of paying to get it redone, So, I decided to buy a book and do it my self. I have no idea why this tranny keeps going out, MAYBE PINION ANGLE, Would this cause it to go out? I need to learn how to adjust for pinion angle i think. LOL. Whatever, I think it was a crap rebuild each time. To top it off, i have absolutely no idea what im doing when it comes to tranys, except for feeling down there if you now what i mean.

Here is the setup, TH350 with transbreak, 9in tailshaft, manual reverse valve body, BMR crossmember, custom steel drive shaft, BMR torque arm, Getto riged stock tranny mount, stock shifter with Getto adjustments, TCI SSF 4000rpm stall, TCI flexpate, No VSS plugs, running the tranny stright off a cooler, B&M super cooler.

This is how i know this tranny is done for, 1st gear is good, 2nd goes in for a second and throws it's self into third without me shifting it. Third gear is good.

This is what im going to buy to rebuild, TCI pro super overhaul kit. also plan on sending my converter back to TCI for a cleaning. Plus im cleaning cooler with compressed air.

I think im overhead but i have to learn. Someone please disagree.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

its really the easiest trannys to rebuild...when you do it make sure you have a bench long enough were you can lay the peices in order just the way they came out...i done my 1st one in highscool...its been a few years since ive touched one...the th400 is also easy to do....and you will need a press and a pump puller
Old 05-23-2007, 11:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its and excellent starter trans, get a book and follow the directions carefully

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
its really the easiest trannys to rebuild...when you do it make sure you have a bench long enough were you can lay the peices in order just the way they came out...i done my 1st one in highscool...its been a few years since ive touched one...the th400 is also easy to do....and you will need a press and a pump puller
Im thinking C-clamps might work as a press and a home made modified screw driver for a pump puller.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Its and excellent starter trans, get a book and follow the directions carefully
Thats what I figured, not like a 4l60e... I hear those are a pain. THanks for the self esteem builder.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Does this sound right, Myth or fact, Welding the spring inside the tranny for xtra durability??? Maybe iam just hearing things.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CHVYMAN
Does this sound right, Myth or fact, Welding the spring inside the tranny for xtra durability??? Maybe iam just hearing things.
"the" spring? where did you hear this?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:57 AM
Launching!

I like this guy. Ghetto rigged stock tranny mount, ghetto adjusting shifter, modified screwdriver for a puller and c-clamps for a press. Any more tips?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing like having the wrong tool for the job
Old 05-24-2007, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I rebuilt my 1st 350 when I was 16 years old. 2 long screw drivers. 1/2 inch socket and rachet,9/16 wrench. Ice pick .Pair of crazy joes wrong snap ring pliers, Compression tool was a freind with two metal pipes. removed the pump by putting two 3/8 thread bolts in the threaded part of pump cover and using a claw hammer.and a feeler guage to install seals and measure clearance. Those were the days lol. But hey it worked and got my broke *** 16 year old self driving again lol

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-24-2007, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

You can do a 350, like some stated befor it is the easiest to rebuild. As far as pulling the front pump, you can use two bolts and a piece of chain. Put the bolt though the last eye in the chain and screw the bolt into the front pump. Make sure you have plenty of threads in the pump, and use the chain as a kina slide hammer.

The reverse piston will be kina tricky to pull , but can be done with two long screwdrivers and a friend to help. But just get a good pair of snapring plires. It is not worth fighting with the cheap ones. Get some bluepoint or snapon ones.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Nothing like having the wrong tool for the job
Nothing like beating high budget race cars with good ole know how and big 's. If life were fair I'd have Jessica Alba handing me 13 and 15 mm sockets in a CHEVY swimsuit.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
"the" spring? where did you hear this?
The return springs, to keep them from popping out in high performance usage.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I rebuilt my 1st 350 when I was 16 years old. 2 long screw drivers. 1/2 inch socket and rachet,9/16 wrench. Ice pick .Pair of crazy joes wrong snap ring pliers, Compression tool was a freind with two metal pipes. removed the pump by putting two 3/8 thread bolts in the threaded part of pump cover and using a claw hammer.and a feeler guage to install seals and measure clearance. Those were the days lol. But hey it worked and got my broke *** 16 year old self driving again lol
LOL.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned

The return springs, to keep them from popping out in high performance usage.
You're a ******* idiot, I wish guys like you could work a camera and do a th350 build up that could be used as a sticky. Some ******** in a clown suit, C clamps, screw drivers for spring depressors and welded clutch return springs, please take some pics of your progress.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow14U
I like this guy. Ghetto rigged stock tranny mount, ghetto adjusting shifter, modified screwdriver for a puller and c-clamps for a press. Any more tips?
sounds like my tool box !
Old 05-25-2007, 12:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
You're a ******* idiot, I wish guys like you could work a camera and do a th350 build up that could be used as a sticky. Some ******** in a clown suit, C clamps, screw drivers for spring depressors and welded clutch return springs, please take some pics of your progress.
Thanks for the complements.. Jerk off. I didnt know LS1tech was only for the privileged. CANT afford to keep taking my tranny into the shop all the time because I actually race my car and not my mouth like others. SPONSER ME BIATCH if it bothers you so much.

My thread might be stupid, but it has definitely helped me out, it has inspired me to do something I thought I could not do. LOL.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Banned

Thanks for the complements.. Jerk off. I didnt know LS1tech was only for the privileged. CANT afford to keep taking my tranny into the shop all the time because I actually race my car and not my mouth like others. SPONSER ME BIATCH if it bothers you so much.

My thread might be stupid, but it has definitely helped me out, it has inspired me to do something I thought I could not do. LOL.
Ok then, if you live within 50 miles from 34983 I will build a th350 for you, no charge to you.

Quick Reply: How hard can it be to rebuild a th350?