Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just out of curiousity...do performance flexplates exist?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 12:50 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just out of curiousity...do performance flexplates exist?

Just wanted to know because Im gathering up the stuff that I need for a conversion from a M6 to a 200R-4. If so, are they necessary? Where can I get one? What makes them different from a stock one? Thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 11:06 AM
9 Second Club NA

Default Re: Just out of curiousity...do performance flexplates exist?

Anyone know?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SFI flexplates are available from a variety of companies, most notably, J.W. "The Wheel" and Reactorplate- aluminum flexplates.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:56 AM
9 Second Club NA

I was just wondering because I know that they make lightweight flywheels and I wasnt sure if they had "performance" flexplates. Are they necessary? Will a stock one do in my situation? When is one needed? Thanks
Old 06-24-2003, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SFI flexplates are available from a variety of companies, most notably, J.W. "The Wheel" and Reactorplate- aluminum flexplates.
Really?
Where can I get one? Got a link?
The last I heard (a few months ago) there weren't any SFI flexplates for the LS1.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

ReactorPlate can make them for anything, so they say, but lemme check... http://www.reactorproducts.com/mainProducts.html
Didn't find what I wanted to... Meanwhile, there's Reactor's webpage with address/phone number. I was going to have them make a plate for my 200-4r combination, but found a local shop to do it for me.

On another note, I did find a shift kit for the 200, made by B&M. I found others too, but.. 35265 is the part number. If you want a real kick in the trans, get a good valve body. B&M isn't tops on my personal list, but they make a Transpak for it too. # 35229 and they are pretty good.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I sent ReactorPlate an email.
I've been looking for a long time for one. My motor's out right now so now would be a good time for me.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Then I hope they stand by their claim! They told me it wasn't a problem to make one, no matter, since they have the machines and machinists on premises, and it's all aluminum(except ring, I'd expect) He also said it would be SFI 29.1 certified and recertifiable later... Good luck with it.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

TCI has a new SFI approved performance flexplate. They are in production now and should be available in a few days. The part number is 399753.
Kevin
Old 06-27-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TCI has a new SFI approved performance flexplate. They are in production now and should be available in a few days. The part number is 399753.
Kevin
Cool, glad to hear that. We've been needing one for quite awhile.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Colonel,

Glad to see your still around. It has been a while. I got all your tranny parts in my office. I am buying a '01 A4 Z28 for my wife. I am hoping for an 11 sec. grocery getter (mid 10 sec. on the sauce). "What tranny?" 4L60E (of course), after all it will be a daily driver. I just have to find a way to expand (to her) why I will have to work on the car all the time. "The front end needs alignment, the trans needs a rebuild, the rear end seen to need adjusting, the valve cover gaskets are leaking..." The list is endless. I will be calling you up for some advice.

Kevin Steele
TCI
Product Engineer
Old 06-27-2003, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club NA

So they do exist...is TCI the first to offer an aftermarket piece for LS1s? If so, what took so long to make one? The question is...are they necessary? Im just about to start making purchases on everything that I will need and Im wondering if I should buy a stock new one, or consider getting an aftermarket. What makes them better than stock? What advantages does it offer? Lastly, what does SFI stand for? Thanks
Old 06-27-2003, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

SFI approved parts are legal for the quicker cars and that type/list of parts extends to safety wear for people as well as the vehicles. There's also different levels of SFI ratings for various pieces. In a nutshell, it's a scam for NHRA and the like, to ROB US BLIND! It's almost funny, but then, no. It's good to have safety, but not at the price of some of the items. Oh well. Oh yeah, SFI approved parts have passed tests to verify their safety..

The reason it's taken so long in the case of the flexplate for the LS1 is the lack of need in general. They're not likely to make a part at TCI, when only a handful of people need it. SFI ratings don't come into effect(to my knowledge) until a car runs quicker than 12.000 in the 1/4 mile.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:23 AM
9 Second Club NA

Man...Im totally lost!! The reason why I even made this thread was because I was curious if they made aftermarket flexplates and if so, are they necessary. If indeed they are, when does it become a necessity? Im not sure what my car runs now, but I hope to be in the 11s when I finish the conversion. (200R-4, 3500-3800 2.5/2.6 str, 3.42, and currently pushing shy of 420rwhp/390rwtq, but could do so with cut out, short belt, and filter mod. Im sure it would be a little more if I was to do all of the tricks for best dyno results.) Anyhow, the whole reason why this popped into my head is because I know that there are aftermarket flywheels for manual applications, and so I wondered if they made them for automatic applications. Reason being...Im going to have to buy a flexplate regardless, and I wasnt sure if I should buy a brand new stock one, or if I should buy an aftermarket one. Thanks
Old 06-28-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

email.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I ran 9.82 with the stock flexplate. Others have been faster.

Kevin, I need to get off my lazy azz and order the parts already! LOL! I was all set to do it and then got distracted with other stuff. I'll be given you a holla. Oh yeah, I FINALLY got K1's driveshaft out of the trailor. Email me an address and it's on the way if he still wants it.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Colonel,

I sent you a PM.

Kevin Steele
TCI
Product Engineer
Old 06-29-2003, 08:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

To Colonel or anyone who wants to chime: You say that you ran a high 9 with the stock flexplate, Im going to assume that I dont need it because Im no where close to that, but would it benefit me in anyway to run an aftermarket one? The aftermarket brands...what makes them "performance" flexplates? Are they lighter, strong, etc. and if so, would the weight of it be of any benefit that will be noticeable? (whether it'd be with feel or time slips?) Thanks
Old 06-30-2003, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

I run 13.5 and broke my stock flexplate in 3 places.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nick, you musta had some bolts back out. That's not normal. I had my timing gear bolts back out on a brand new LS1 once. Someone was hungover at GM the day that engine was assembled.

NVNySS, the advantage is that it's SFI approved so that it's NHRA legal for faster cars (10.99 or quicker I think? Someone correct me.) It is stronger but I would suspect that it might be heavier.

Personnally, I wouldn't worry about it on a non-transbraked car unless I was running in a class that was strict about using it.

FWIW, I messed up one flexplate but it was just because the bolts backed out (made a HELLUVA strange noise at 130 MPH!) It just wallowed out the bolt holes a little. I replaced it anyway. After that I used plenty of loctite and it never happened again.