Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3600 Vig going in and taking it to the tuner what do I ask him to change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3600 Vig going in and taking it to the tuner what do I ask him to change?

Taking my 98 to the shop tommorow and having my 3600 vig put in along with my cooler and shift kit, new accumulator pistons, and filter/fluid.

Car has all bolt ons except electric water pump and 3.23s out back...

What should I have them adjust with HP tuners? Does the shift points or lockup points need to be adjusted. Last time I was at his shop he deleted TQ management and upped the line pressure for firmer shifts, what else should I suggest to him?

Goal for the car is to be as quick at the 1/8 mile track as possible and economical if at all possible...

Guide me 4L60 Gurus!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

I'm no expert for sure, but in my experience, getting rid of the TM (like you are) is a MUST; I might consider dropping the MPH shift points a few MPH (I had to drop mine so it wouldn't bang into the rev' limiter between shifts at the track; you already mentioned the line pressure and firmness; delete any slip codes (I had my guy do this, but still had problems, so I leave the car in "D" unless I am at constant freeway speeds I have my idle set to 750 (it would almost want to stall if I came to a stop really quick and it helps keep the voltage up when the lights and A/C are on at a stoplight.) That's all I can remember off the top of my head but I think that will get you pretty far.

Have fun with the new TC. You'll LOVE it!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Misfire tables, throttle follower or it will surge and die, and you need you shift extensions modified as well. You will have to drive it to get the shift extensions and throttle follower right.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats the throttle follower?
Old 12-29-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something else to talk to him about is increasing in gear idle like rad stated, had the same issue - and if I'm not mistaken you don't want too much line pressure increase when using a shift kit - ask how high he set it before.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

To be honest with you, if he doesn't know what to tune for, I sure as hell wouldn't pay him to tune my car. You should be asking him what changes he's making to your tune, not telling him what changes to make.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rufretic
To be honest with you, if he doesn't know what to tune for, I sure as hell wouldn't pay him to tune my car. You should be asking him what changes he's making to your tune, not telling him what changes to make.
X10000000
Old 01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rufretic
+1
Old 01-01-2008, 09:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

He should know what to do but,
From my experince not with tuning but with helpig people solve issues.

1-Remove the test for code PO757 (causes PCM to become confused and set limp mode randomly)
2-Eliminate PWM as much as possible. From my understanding you do this by ajusting the min tcc duty cycle to 90 percent and the max to 100 percent.
3- Allow a little more room between comanded shift and the rev limiter particularly on the 2-3 shift to lesson the likleyhood of hitting the limiter on the 2-3 shift at WOT which is and issue I come across after a converter install, Unfortunaty many times its happened so often that the 3-4 clutch has already been badly damaged.

A tuner should/will know much more but I do see these overlooked alot so thought I would mention them.

Hope this information is helpfull

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-02-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info everyone
Its at Strickly Performance right now they've always did a great job with my car and I expect him to do the majority of changes but wanted a list to kinda go over with him.

As far as the Hitting the revlimiter issue is it just a 2-3 shift issue or does this occur on the 1-2 shift as well.

When you lower the MPH the stock shift points are at how much do you lower them?

For example if the stock setup shifts 1-2 @ 45 and 2-3 @ 75 under WOT would changing the 1-2 shift MPH to 40 and 2-3 to 70 make a difference....

Basiclly what are the stock shiftpoints and what should he have changed them to(2-3MPH difference or 7-10MPH less than stock)?

What is PWM and what does it do in relation to the tranny/converter?

Thanks agian
Old 01-02-2008, 07:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by james562
Thanks for the info everyone
Its at Strickly Performance right now they've always did a great job with my car and I expect him to do the majority of changes but wanted a list to kinda go over with him.

As far as the Hitting the revlimiter issue is it just a 2-3 shift issue or does this occur on the 1-2 shift as well.

When you lower the MPH the stock shift points are at how much do you lower them?

For example if the stock setup shifts 1-2 @ 45 and 2-3 @ 75 under WOT would changing the 1-2 shift MPH to 40 and 2-3 to 70 make a difference....

Basiclly what are the stock shiftpoints and what should he have changed them to(2-3MPH difference or 7-10MPH less than stock)?

What is PWM and what does it do in relation to the tranny/converter?

Thanks agian
As for the MPH and RPM its varies and I sure he will be able to work it out for each gear. And yes it can afect the 1-2 also but seems more likley on the 2-3 from what I have noted.

As for PWM it means PULSED WIDTH MODULATION and what it does iis in the factory tune the converter clutch is allowed to slip under certain conditions by a certain percentage.Because of the lower area of the small diameter converters clutch this generally results in excessive slip when these are installed and may eventually result in premature Converter Clutch Failure, Limiting this slip in tuning will help to assure this dosent happen.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-02-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

I think I had mine reduced to 35 for the 1-2 and 72 for the 2-3. We left 3-4 alone since I won't be going into OD at WOT. I think OEM shift points are like 37 and 77, if you have 3.23s. If you have 2.73s, the shift points will probably be closer to like 45 and 90 MPH; you'll have to be sure which gears you have. If you just lower them 2-3 MPH, you should be good.