Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque convertor clutch circuit code came up

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque convertor clutch circuit code came up

My car is still sticking in 3rd and the local chevy dealer scanned it and it brought up this code: P0740................So I look it up and the code means , Torque convertor clutch circuit. What should the cost be to fix this and is it something I could do myself ?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its going to be and issue with the wiring , trans plug or tcc solenoid, Most likley the TCC solenoid and yes you can fix it your self if thats the case

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Its going to be and issue with the wiring , trans plug or tcc solenoid, Most likley the TCC solenoid and yes you can fix it your self if thats the case
so if the dealership knows what they are doing they will check these 2 things first ? Anyway with that code is could be something else ? Trying to make sure they dont rip me off. Thanks for your help
Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Launching!

the dealer is saying its the solenoid and the ignition switch. around $370 parts/labor
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmmm....that doesn't sound right. Why would they be looking at your ignition switch for that? And that solenoid is literally drop pan, remove the plug from the 3-2 solenoid, then the clip that holds it in...then pull it out. That will let you get to the 2 10mm bolts that hold the TCC solenoid in....yank it out, splice in a new one (about $15) and reinstall. Sounds like a lot but once you look at it you'll smack yourself for even thinking about letting them do it.

Or, you could just replace the harness inside the trans which comes with a new tcc solenoid attached and all new plugs to just eliminate those possibilities for about $64
Old 02-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOA279
hmmm....that doesn't sound right. Why would they be looking at your ignition switch for that? And that solenoid is literally drop pan, remove the plug from the 3-2 solenoid, then the clip that holds it in...then pull it out. That will let you get to the 2 10mm bolts that hold the TCC solenoid in....yank it out, splice in a new one (about $15) and reinstall. Sounds like a lot but once you look at it you'll smack yourself for even thinking about letting them do it.

Or, you could just replace the harness inside the trans which comes with a new tcc solenoid attached and all new plugs to just eliminate those possibilities for about $64
I had already read this online but this is what they said about the ignition switch

The most likely cause of this condition may be a loss of voltage to the transmission solenoid power supply circuit.

This condition may also be the result of an incorrect installation of an aftermarket electronic device such as a remote starter or alarm system.
Correction

Important: If the vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket electronic device and the DTCs are being set when the device is being used, verify that the appropriate fuse is being supplied battery voltage during operation. If voltage is not present at this fuse, these DTCs will be set due to lack of voltage at the solenoids. This condition is most likely to occur with an incorrectly installed remote starting system. If this is the case, refer the customer to the installer of the system for corrections. ANY REPAIRS DUE TO AFTERMARKET INSTALLATION OF ACCESSORIES IS A NON-WARRANTABLE ITEM.

1. With the ignition switch in the RUN position, test for battery voltage at the circuit fuse in the transmission solenoid power supply circuit. Refer to the appropriate SI Document for the transmission solenoid power supply circuit information.
2. If battery voltage is present at the fuse, inspect the ignition voltage circuit between the fuse and the transmission for possible opens.
3. If battery voltage is not present at the fuse, test for continuity between the fuse and the ignition switch. If NO continuity is between the fuse and the ignition switch, repair the open in that circuit.
4. If you have continuity between the fuse and the ignition switch, the most likely cause is the ignition switch. Replace the ignition switch using the appropriate Ignition Switch Replacement procedure in SI. Refer to group number 2.188 of the parts catalog for part description and usage of the ignition switch.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOA279

BAD NEWS.................headed to work this morning and car started doing the same thing. took it back to the chevy place. they said they would check it out and see whats going on. next thing I know the service manager comes out thinks he is going to bully me around and push me out the door. Long story short after going round and round with him and talking with the main manager they put my old parts back in and gave me my money back. The service manager and I did take it for a ride but of course it didnt act up while he drove it. Took it to another place but its Monday before they can look at it.

Question: They said they replaced solenoid 3:2. Is that the right one to replace if its limp mode and stuck in 3rd ??????

Also I saw the pan and it did have some metal shavings in the bottom of the it. What does that indicate ?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Launching!

well I replaced the TCC solenoid and wire harness, 3-2 solenoid, PWM TCC solenoid and the filter. Drove the car and same ole crap...........it starts out in a higher gear and never changes gears.............when I get the car going I can downshift manually and have 3rd and 2nd but no first. The service engine soon light did not come on. Guess I will try a tranny shop somebody told me about next week.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Finally got my car back today. After 3 shops, working on it myself and $800 later it is fixed. Thank goodness I found a good mechanic ! It was two bad wires that go to the tranny that was the problem. The tranny had to be removed in order to get to the wires. Man it feels great to have my LS1 back. I been miserable the past month. Soon as I got it home gave it a good bath. I will be out looking for a race tomorrow
Old 03-20-2008, 08:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Glad you got it solved electrical issues can be a major pain

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Glad you got it solved electrical issues can be a major pain
thanks for all the time you took to help me out