Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I get a Torque Converter???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I get a Torque Converter???

I'm looking to get some more mods and am trying to decide which to get first.

Headers, a Torque Converter, or rear end gears.

What do you all think with what I have now???
Old 07-27-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: should I get a Torque Converter???

Id get the gears first, then headers, then a converter. But definately the Gears before the Converter. But thats just me I would want my car to breathe better first before anything.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

wow thats just the oppisite that i would do/ did..

I would say converter 1st! there is no other bang for the buck like a converter.

then headers, then gears...
Old 07-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Fiery Features Director

A torque converter will give you the larger performance gains over any other modification (other than nitrous). A converter will allow the car to launch better and increase low end acceleration which in return will lower your ET's. If the car still has 2:73 gears, I would suggest doing those next. A street/strip converter plus 3:42 gears or higher (depending on your goals) will gain you atleast 6-7 tenths or more in some cases. Headers are also an important modification but will not do much if you can not get a good launch. The majority of your time will be within the first 60ft.

Picking a converter rely's on your ultimate goal with the car. You want to pick a converter that will reach its stall just before the engine gets into its power band. If you get a converter with too much stall speed, it will actually slow your car down. Your converter speed will increase with power.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the responses so far!!!

As far as the current gears, they're 3.23 according to the little sticker in the glove box. (reads gu5)

I was thinking of going with something close to a 3500 converter. Is that too much seeing as this is still my everyday driver?

Thanks again!!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A torque converter will give you the larger performance gains over any other modification (other than nitrous). A converter will allow the car to launch better and increase low end acceleration which in return will lower your ET's. If the car still has 2:73 gears, I would suggest doing those next. A street/strip converter plus 3:42 gears or higher (depending on your goals) will gain you atleast 6-7 tenths or more in some cases. Headers are also an important modification but will not do much if you can not get a good launch. The majority of your time will be within the first 60ft.

Picking a converter rely's on your ultimate goal with the car. You want to pick a converter that will reach its stall just before the engine gets into its power band. If you get a converter with too much stall speed, it will actually slow your car down. Your converter speed will increase with power.
Agree whole heartedly but dont do what I did get a 2800 vig then start going into the motor now I want need a bigger stall I vote tc first.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:13 PM
Fiery Features Director

That is why Vigi allows for a free restall of the converter. If you are not happy with the converter or you do alot of upgrades to the car, you can send the converter back and they will restall it to whatever you would like. If you do not plan on any internal modifications in the near future, I would suggest going a bit smaller than the 3500. However, if you do plan on more modifications, then it shouldn't hurt to go with atleast a 3200 at this point.

Like I said before, your mods are depending on your ultimate goal with the car.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I guess everyone here has their different opinions. Do what you want to do first. You wont go wrong by doing either first.

A converter will give you some big ET Gains.

But like I said, I would rather do the headers first. Example I see you have Flowmaster catback, I would finsih the exhaust and get the headers.

Once you finsihed the exhaust on the car, finish the Induction with a SSRA or FTRA. Then go ahead with the tranny and Converter etc. then the rear end w/Gears blah blah. But thats just me I dont like to jump to another section of the car until I have done the job right and theres no room for improvement.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

another vote for convertor here. i think it will give you that fast feeling that makes you wanna mod it even more.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys/girls,

He has an LT1, so I wouldn't recommend anything more than a "true" 3000-3200 stall converter at the most because his PCM is OBD1. If he has any intention of dragracing that car at the track, he'll wind up with that famous 1-2 WOT shifting problem. For his car w/ 3.23's, I'd either use a Yank 2800-3000, Midwestern(same size), or a Vigilante 2800(which actually stalls a little higher than its rating).

BTW, he can't do a FTRA or SSRA on an LT1.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 07-28-2003, 01:11 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I did a 3200 Vig Converter. I have the LM exhaust and a lid and I'm running 13.1's. That might not seem that great, but when you consider that my car is fully loaded with a system, dropped 2 inchs and I ran the track with 18's in humid weather, I think its good. With some good 16in tires and better traction I'd get my 60ft down which would give me much better ET's, probably 12.7 - 12.5.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went with gears first as this is one of the criterias that will able you to choose your TC stall. Yank rcommends S/F 3500 for me but I think i'll play it safe and go with a 3200 true stall.
As far as headers I want LT's but by law I shouldn't move the cats location. From the posts most poeple say that shorties are a waste of money. Is there no performance gain over cast irons at all???
Anybody??
I came into a set of Hooker shorties for next to nothing. Should I do it? or not
Old 07-28-2003, 06:12 AM
TECH Regular

I came into a set of Hooker shorties for next to nothing. Should I do it? or not
In your case no. 98-99 cars can benefit from shorties but '00 and up manifold is very close to shorty design.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, he can't do a FTRA or SSRA on an LT1.

Good luck,

Mike
My bad I thought he had an LS1. Id still do the headers and gears. But for the price youll pay for a converter, Id get BOTH Headers AND Gears. Say some Hookers, and Some gears.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone know what the stock stall is on F-bodies?
Old 07-28-2003, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock stall on an LS1 is 1850-1900 (my '02 checked out at 1900.)

For an LS1, at least, a TQ converter is THE single best modification you can make, IMO.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Stock stall on an LS1 is 1850-1900 (my '02 checked out at 1900.)

For an LS1, at least, a TQ converter is THE single best modification you can make, IMO.
Do you know if the '02 Vette LS1 have the same converter (stall speed) as an '02 Camaro?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know for sure but I don't see why they wouldn't. I'd bet on it.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

...Let me clarify, you asked of stall speed, not actual converter. The 'Vette converter and the F-body converter are NOT interchangeable.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Teching In

So, you think stall speed is probably the same, but they are not interchangeable. Just thought I'd check, just in case the '02 Vette verter would be an upgrade. Guess it answers that question. Thanks.