Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick a good transmission/stall combo

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick a good transmission/stall combo

My transmission is screwed. 3-4 clutch. Anyway, I need a new one and looked at the sponsors on here. I seen performabuilt is running a sale right now. Their lvl 2 looks good, but i hear mixed results, but I hear they are good at fixing any problems. ACE and FLT also look like great places, but their top of the line transmissions are out of my pricerange. Are their mid level tranny's consistantly good for up to say 450-500 hp or so (future mods planned) and maybe a couple sprayed runs?

For converters, I was running a 2800 vig which i loved but knew was too small for me. I know the pt yank series is great, and i know circle d is great too. I really want to pick one of these 3 for the converters but it cuts the performabuilt transmission warranty in half if I I don't go with a performabuilt converter. I'm on a thin budget, but definately want to do it right one time. I'm leaning more towards a multi disc set up from circle d for converter but could use suggestions for both converter and trans.

I know these topics are beat to death. I spent about 3 hours searching for suggestions last night and it just doesn't feel the same unless someone tells you personally.

Other info: plan on going 228 or 230ish cam soon, intake swap from ls6 to fast or new weiand soon, not daily driven, mixed racing (rolls and the track), quality more of a concern over price, just because the cost of doing it right once is less than failing multiple times with cheap stuff. Also more worried about brands more than size of stall.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feel free to give us a call to discuss your situation. We have our level 3 units running the rwhp that you mentioned above. With a head and cam combo a level 4 would be more than enough trans for you. Give us a call. Vince
Old 06-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Th400s are nice if you dont care that it is a 3 speed, and i have yank 3600 which is pritty nice.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The 2800 is to small for any real performance gains, you are correct. I would suggest my "4C" - rated about 36-3800. It is still amazingly drive-able and still gets great 60's. It will love the cam and nitrous as well.

Chris
Old 06-05-2008, 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by transam98989898
My transmission is screwed. 3-4 clutch. Anyway, I need a new one and looked at the sponsors on here. I seen performabuilt is running a sale right now. Their lvl 2 looks good, but i hear mixed results, but I hear they are good at fixing any problems. ACE and FLT also look like great places, but their top of the line transmissions are out of my pricerange. Are their mid level tranny's consistantly good for up to say 450-500 hp or so (future mods planned) and maybe a couple sprayed runs?

For converters, I was running a 2800 vig which i loved but knew was too small for me. I know the pt yank series is great, and i know circle d is great too. I really want to pick one of these 3 for the converters but it cuts the performabuilt transmission warranty in half if I I don't go with a performabuilt converter. I'm on a thin budget, but definately want to do it right one time. I'm leaning more towards a multi disc set up from circle d for converter but could use suggestions for both converter and trans.

I know these topics are beat to death. I spent about 3 hours searching for suggestions last night and it just doesn't feel the same unless someone tells you personally.

Other info: plan on going 228 or 230ish cam soon, intake swap from ls6 to fast or new weiand soon, not daily driven, mixed racing (rolls and the track), quality more of a concern over price, just because the cost of doing it right once is less than failing multiple times with cheap stuff. Also more worried about brands more than size of stall.

While you are correct going with a converter other than ours cuts the warranty in half the other side of that is buying the converter from us doubles the warranty over anyone else as far as I am aware. Also note if you are looking to get a higher end converter with the billet cover and even the mechanical diode. we do have those available call me for a price. We just haven't introduced them publicly yet but will be shortly. We can supply you with whatever you need but as in all things price is a consideration , I can tell you that we have only seen 4 of our regular converters fail in 2 years now many even being run with NOS. Now you mention multi disc and while they do serve there purpose if you have need to lock the converter at WOT which in all but very rare cases results in slower times. I would see not reason you would need or want one of that type converter as its overkill for what your doing.

Now you might ask why on the shorter warranty without our converter, It is not because we don't consider out competitors converter good quite the contrary they are very nice pieces but it actually has to do simply with the warranty and how its handled. For instance if you buy our converter and there is a trans or converter failure then there will never be a question of whose responsible its us across the board, but for instance whether you buy our converter or trans or someone else's and they are mismatched and one or the other fails and take out the other component with it then while sure the converter company will fix there converter but will they fix your trans Or visa versa? Thats the reason for the way the warranty is set up. Simply its makes everyones life simpler if something does go wrong in either case. IMO I would concur with CIRCLE D on the stall speed 3500 ish up regardless of where you get the converter

As for will our mid level handle that power level consistently well check out the link below and there are more I don't have videos for those though . but hes running the level 2 over a year now full weight car on spray. 275 PLUS PASSES

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/930407-new-best-again-level-2-10-23-vid.html

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

yea, im leaning towards the high end of 3000, probably just go 4000 stall so I dont feel the need to restall later. Thanks guys for your replys. As soon as I can get a bank loan finalized I'll make a decision, but much more research, phone calls and pm's will be in store soon.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

I would recommend FLT for the tranny. I dont have one of there tranny's yet but i bought some of there parts for mine a couple years back and havent had any issues with it. As for a stall i would go for a PI 3600-3800.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Just a thought, I think vigalante allows one free or cheap stall change if I pay shipping, but I wasn't the one who bought this converter. Anyone know how that works? Is there a specific ID # stamped on them somewhere where I can call and see if this converter still has the stall swap available? Or do you need to be the original purchaser?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

As far as I know with all companies you have to be the original purchaser for a stall change. But you could call them and ask

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Get a 4k stall minimum and not the low ball one. I got their 4k after theyre junk transmissions fried a couple of perfectly good Vig stalls. Little advice stalls and trannys are not the place to price shop. I learned the hard way. The 4000 stall I have from the bargain tranny SPONSOR on this site is a 4 cyl gm verter with an adapter ring welded on and hits like a 2000. At least the 3rd transmission they sent me and I installed on jackstands after them blaming everyone and everything else kind of worked and I can drive my car again. If you want theyre name PM me. If I Name them this post will be deleted. Hate to see someone else get screwed like I got. Stick to ACE, FLT, Circle D and Precision/VIG reputable business people who build a quality product.