Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tci SFI approved Flexplate...Here it is!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tci SFI approved Flexplate...Here it is!

Well everybody, I got my new TCI flexplate in the mail today. Its a pretty nice part. Its alittle heavy, good for those WOT upshifts...Its drilled for LS1 and the small bolting cicle. It even comes with new flexplate bolts.

Ryan K.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tci SFI approved Flexplate...Here it is!

Nice. I'm waiting on confirmation of shipping costs etc, for one of these. Gotta have it
Old 08-18-2003, 02:28 PM
9 Second Club NA

Its alittle heavy, good for those WOT upshifts
Are you running a 4L60E? If so, do you know if the TCI unit weighs more or less than the GM stock unit? How is a heavier unit better for WOT upshifts? I dont have a clue, could you please explain? In my opinion I would think that a lighter flexplate would benefit you as it would a lighter flywheel in a manual tranny. I asked in a previous post what are the advantages of the aftermarket flexplates, but no response yet, so I figured I would pass it along here. Madman is the only other manufacturer of aftermarket flextplates that Im aware of, do you happen to know of any others? How much did you pay shipped to you for the TCI unit? Well sorry to drown you in questions, but Im in the market for a flextplate too and I wanted to get some info/feedback from you. Thanks a lot!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Ryan...not ******* you, but why do we need an SFI approved plate? Is it for rules? How many tracks are gonna check? Just wondering, because I have not heard of anyone breaking a flexplate yet.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:35 PM
FormerVendor

Ryan,
It's about time you got the flexplate...I was beginning to think that TCI was lying about making them.
Err, wait, I suppose I'll take the blame for it being so late.
I hope you like it!
Any feedback or suggestions are certainly welcome.
Kevin
Old 08-18-2003, 06:49 PM
FormerVendor

NVmySS, There are a couple of benefits and detrements to a heavier flexplate or flywheel. There are some applications that work better for each. As a general rule, a smaller displacment engine likes a heavier flywheel, and a higher launch rpm. The flywheel helps the engine keep its inertia on the starting line and on gear changes. A bigger engine usually needs less flywheel weight. The SFI 29.1 specifications require both material specs and physical testing standards to be passes. If the flexplate fails either test then it will not be certified. This is the reason that SFI approved flexplates are made from high strength steel alloys and are typically thicker than the stock flexplate. We did manage to keep the weight down over many other companys SFI approved flexplates, but we also focused on durabilty and passing SFI 29.1 specs.
Reckless, I have heard of a couple stock flexplates that have self-destructed. An SFI approved flexplate is required by NHRA to run 9.99 or quicker through the quarter.
Kevin
Old 08-18-2003, 06:52 PM
FormerVendor

NVmySS,
Off the top of my head, I think the price is $210+shipping, straight from TCI. If you're interested you can call the salesline at (662)224-8972.
Kevin
Old 08-18-2003, 10:56 PM
9 Second Club NA

Kevin, so do our motors (LS1 346 cu. in.) need heavier flexplates? If so, as a general rule, it would benefit me/our cars/motors. Could you explain how? I had no idea that a heavier unit could be beneficial, but what do I know! I figured that the lighter, the better. Are there any drawbacks of using a heavier unit? (more hp loss, slower time slips, etc.) So in your eyes, do you think paying an extra $100+ is worth buying this unit over a stock GM one? I just want to know because I dont mind spending a little extra cash here, but if its not, then Id rather put it somewhere else. Im tight for money and I want to make sure that I spend it wisely. Do you know of any other manufacturers that make these units? Thanks for all you help and I really appreciate it!
Old 08-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Pathological Modifier

Are you running a 4L60E? If so, do you know if the TCI unit weighs more or less than the GM stock unit? How is a heavier unit better for WOT upshifts? I dont have a clue, could you please explain? In my opinion I would think that a lighter flexplate would benefit you as it would a lighter flywheel in a manual tranny. I asked in a previous post what are the advantages of the aftermarket flexplates, but no response yet, so I figured I would pass it along here. Madman is the only other manufacturer of aftermarket flextplates that Im aware of, do you happen to know of any others? How much did you pay shipped to you for the TCI unit? Well sorry to drown you in questions, but Im in the market for a flextplate too and I wanted to get some info/feedback from you. Thanks a lot!
1. Typically the more weight the better. If you look at the drag racing Manual guys they want more weight fo better launches. In an auto the increased weight will increase inertia on the upshift (harder to drag the motor down). An other up-check is smoother idle. The detrement is the motor doesn't rev as fast.

2. TCI and Madman (Reactor) are te only companies stocking LS1 flexplates. There are others that will custom make you one.

3. Price shipped from TCI $239.00 That was for 2nd day air.

Ryan K.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Pathological Modifier

Ryan...not ******* you, but why do we need an SFI approved plate? Is it for rules? How many tracks are gonna check? Just wondering, because I have not heard of anyone breaking a flexplate yet.
SFI approved flexplates are required on all automatics 10.99 and faster. If your track doesn't check, your lucky, mine does. I have seen a few 00 and newer guys break/crack the stock flexplate.

Ryan K.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:44 PM
9 Second Club NA

1. Typically the more weight the better. If you look at the drag racing Manual guys they want more weight fo better launches. In an auto the increased weight will increase inertia on the upshift (harder to drag the motor down). An other up-check is smoother idle. The detrement is the motor doesn't rev as fast.
I hate to ask you this...but could you elaborate on this a bit? Specifically, "In an auto the increased weight will increase inertia on the upshift (harder to drag the motor down)." Sorry to ask this rediculous questions, but I really want to understand how this all works. Ok...let me think here...if the flexplate is heavier...in between shifts it would drop slower, keeping the rpms in the power range without falling too low too fast. Does that sound right? If so, but wouldnt it also mean that its going to take more work for the motor to turn the heavier flexplate? So if its indeed true that a heavier flexplate is beneficial, then does it show on the track? Thanks Ryan for jumping back in to answer all my questions. Im sure everytime that I have ANOTHER question, youre like...
Old 08-19-2003, 12:32 AM
Pathological Modifier

I appologize, I just got home and checked my NHRA rule book and the cut off for SFI flexplate is 9.99 and quicker or and car exceeding 135mph.

Ryan
Old 08-19-2003, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

Ryan, Thanks for jumping in with the answers.
NV, You nailed it,"Ok...let me think here...if the flexplate is heavier...in between shifts it would drop slower, keeping the rpms in the power range without falling too low too fast." The only thing I'd like to add here is that the difference in weight between the TCI flexplate and the stock is slight. I'd be surprised if there was more than a .01 change in ET either way.
The flexplate wouldn't be a good performance enhancing modification, but it would be a great safety mod and would allow you to run in the 9s without getting kicked off the track.
Kevin
Old 08-19-2003, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,135 Likes on 739 Posts

Nice!

If I end up pulling my tranny out for any reason I have a lot of interest in getting one!
Old 08-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys...wasn't sure about the ruling on it. I haven't made it to that point yet. I had my internals balanced using my stock flexplate. They ended up removing about 10g from it during balancing. If I bolt up one of the TCI units, it should not affect things too much I wouldn't think?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

The flexplate wouldn't be a good performance enhancing modification, but it would be a great safety mod and would allow you to run in the 9s without getting kicked off the track.
So this flexplate by no means is going to make a difference on time slips or benefit me in any way besides safety and preventing me from getting kicked off? The main reason why I considered this, was because I thought it might be some sort of performance mod. I know that my car will never hit the 9s because Im keeping it a street car and even though some of you consider a 9 second car a street car, I dont because I couldnt afford the gas to run it on the street. Anything above 12 mpg in the city is considered streetable to me. So if my car is never going to see 9s, do I need to even worry about spending the money here? I dont mean to sound repetetive, but I just want to make sure that I want to spend a little extra on a flexplate or not. Thanks
Old 08-19-2003, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

The major concern here should be safety. Ever seen a flexplate/flywheel/clutch explode? People lose the use of legs and feet when this happens. I would gladly pay the extra money to know I don't have to worry about having my feet sheared off by shrapnel.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

Safety is a concern for me, but preventing myself getting kicked off the track isnt. The reason I say this is because I will never make a 135 mph pass, nor run in the 9s. Ive never seen a flexplate explode/shatter and I hope I never do. Does anyone know (Ryan in particular since you own one) how much more the TCI unit weighs over the stock unit? Since it is a bit heavier, does it affect the gas mileage any? A heavier flexplate will slow down the revs, how is this bad? I know that I would want a faster rev, but why...I dont know, thats just what I would rather have. So if a heavier flexplate results in slower/less rpm drops and keeps you in your power range, how does this not help on time slips? Since an auto shifts extremely fast and consistent with or without a shift kit, how is it noticeable? So if a heavier is beneficial yet has drawbacks, there has to be some difference at the track? Sorry to ask so many dang questions. This is really I feel like an idiot asking all these questions. Thanks everyone for all the replies so far.

Quick Reply: Tci SFI approved Flexplate...Here it is!