Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexplates: GM (OEM) vs. TCI vs. Madman

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 11:24 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Flexplates: GM (OEM) vs. TCI vs. Madman

Advantages/disadvantages of/between the 3? Besides prices and TCI/Madman being SFI approved, what differs them between one another? [GM (around $100) TCI ($210) Madman ($280)] Which one is going to be more beneficial? Which one is going to help more than hurt? Which one is going to make a difference on the track/time slips? Knowing that the TCI and Madman are both SFI approved, what makes the Madman unit $70 more than the TCI? I was told that I could get someone to custom make me one, how much am I looking at that and how does it compare to these? Are these particular ones intended for LS1s? If so, what took so long to come out with one? I mean...LS1s existed in f-bodies since '98, its '03 now and its barely hitting the market. Do either one of the aftermarket units require any modifications? Thanks and any input in much appreciated.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Flexplates: GM (OEM) vs. TCI vs. Madman

NVmySS,
Most any of the SFI approved flexplates will be a little heavier than the thin stamped steel OEM flexplate. They were designed to hold up to high HP applications (cars going 9.99 and quicker). The NHRA rulebook states that you must run an SFI approved flexplate for those applications. I suppose the reason that it took so long to produce one of these is that there wasn't a big demand when these cars were first released back in '98. As far as a performance improvement, like I said in the other post, I doubt that there is over .01 difference in performance in any application from the OEs to Madmans to TCIs. Ours (TCIs) is a bolt-in. No mods are necessary.
Kevin
Old 08-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Banned

basically the only thing that a TCI flywheel which is slightly heavier than stock will offer is better pull between shifts and a better launch but no ACTUAL PERFORMANCE enhancement correct??
Old 08-22-2003, 04:38 PM
9 Second Club NA

They were designed to hold up to high HP applications (cars going 9.99 and quicker).
I expect to see mid 11s when its all said and done. I doubt that Im pushing enough power to actually break an OEM one, but do you think it would be a good idea to buy one even though its not needed for my application, since Im in need of one and dont have one to start out with?

better pull between shifts and a better launch
If a heavier flexplate results in whats is stated above, then how is this modification not considered a performance upgrade? Thanks
Old 08-22-2003, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you own a late 2000 and up Fbody, GM made the flexplates lighter.. keep an eye on them. I've seen 3 of them come apart!

They are the ones with the "kidney" shaped holes. The 98-99's look more like a old fashion chevy.. haven't see any trouble with them.

Of course, these aftermarket SFI plates are another sset in the right direction.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club NA

My car is a 2000, but its an M6 right now. So I dont have to worry about having the bad batch. Im in the market for one and I was considering one of the aftermarket units if it was worth it. I just want to get some feedback on these units, before I make any decisions. I know that theyre pretty new and I dont know of anyone else on here but a couple of people, one with the Madman and one with the TCI. So maybe thats why there isnt much response to this thread because theres not too many with 'em. I know that theryre stronger, heavier, SFI approved, and keep you from getting kicked of if youre running 9s, but what else can you tell me about them? "Thanks-a-mil'."
Old 08-23-2003, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

I have a 1999 GM flexplate for sale. $65 shipped. It is modified to take the smaller chevy bolt pattern if you decide to go TH350. Best of both worlds.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

yank Sells the 98-99 Stock GM flexplates for 50 bucks. I had to buy one when i got the 6-bolt flange converter as the 01s have only 3 bolt holes.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:07 PM
9 Second Club NA

Whoa whoa whoa...I have a 2000 Camaro, however its not equipped with a automatic. However, I plan to convert over to a 200-4R. Im buying my converter from TCS, is there something that Im lacking that I should inform them before they start making my converter? What I mean is, if I get an aftermarket flexplate (TCI or Madman), then are they going to mate up with the converter? The reason I ask is because of this...
Yank sells the 98-99 Stock GM flexplates for 50 bucks. I had to buy one when I got the 6-bolt flange converter as the 01s have only 3 bolt holes.
Are there different flexplates offered by TCI and Madman for different year models? I had no idea that the flexplates were different between '98 and '02! Man...Im totally lost here! Someone please help me! Ok...as I stated before, Im going to convert over to a 200-4R. Im going to need a flexplate, however, I havent decided if I want to go with an aftermarket unit or an OEM. Either way I go, I want it to work for the converter, for the motor, and for the tranny. What do I need to know so that I get everything correct and make sure that everything is going to fit? Thanks
Old 08-25-2003, 03:57 PM
9 Second Club NA

Yank sells the 98-99 Stock GM flexplates for 50 bucks. I had to buy one when I got the 6-bolt flange converter as the 01s have only 3 bolt holes.
Can you elaborate/explain what that means? So is there a difference between 98/99 and 00-02 flexplates? When and if I order one of the aftermarket units, do they make them for different year models? For instance: If they ask me what year car I had and I told them a '00, would that particular one be different if I was to tell them that I had a '98? I had no clue about any of this and I didnt think that I was going to have any issues. I want to make sure that I get all the right stuff and that everything goes with one another.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The '98-'00s are of a stronger design. They bolt up the same so either will work. It's just that the '01-'02s are noticably thinner and have a little different look to them. I've used both.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

So what did 42NightZ28 mean by...
I had to buy one when I got the 6-bolt flange converter as the 01s have only 3 bolt holes.
So if I was to go with an OEM unit, which year did they produce the best one for LS1s? Im not sure yet if I will go with a factory unit, but I want to keep everything in mind. Do the aftermarket units work for any aftermarket converter? Thanks
Old 08-25-2003, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

So what did 42NightZ28 mean by...
I had to buy one when I got the 6-bolt flange converter as the 01s have only 3 bolt holes.
So if I was to go with an OEM unit, which year did they produce the best one for LS1s? Im not sure yet if I will go with a factory unit, but I want to keep everything in mind. Do the aftermarket units work for any aftermarket converter? Thanks
On some Aftermarket converters 6-Bolt Mouting bolts are a option for high strength. TCS and Yank both offer this. 98-00 Stock Flexplates have a 6-holt design but the stock converter only uses 3 of them. The 01-02 Design Flexplate has only 3 holes and is thinner so to use a 6 bolt converter a swap to the older style in needed. If someone will host the pic for me i will send a pic comparing the 2 OEM designs.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:16 PM
9 Second Club NA

On some Aftermarket converters 6-Bolt Mouting bolts are a option for high strength. TCS and Yank both offer this. 98-00 Stock Flexplates have a 6-holt design but the stock converter only uses 3 of them. The 01-02 Design Flexplate has only 3 holes and is thinner so to use a 6 bolt converter a swap to the older style in needed. If someone will host the pic for me i will send a pic comparing the 2 OEM designs.
Wheew! Thanks a lot buddy! This makes so much more sense to me now! I was totally throw off when you first replied in this thread! But I get it now, thanks!
Old 08-26-2003, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

If you own a late 2000 and up Fbody, GM made the flexplates lighter.. keep an eye on them. I've seen 3 of them come apart!

They are the ones with the "kidney" shaped holes. The 98-99's look more like a old fashion chevy.. haven't see any trouble with them.

Of course, these aftermarket SFI plates are another sset in the right direction.
My car is a 2000 model. The ring gear let go on my car last night as I was accelarating from standstill. Punched a big hole in the bell-housing. A piece of ring gear ended up in the RH front tyre - such was the force of the failure. No damage sustained to the converter (SS3800) but the ring gear is totally stripped of the flex plate.

Do I replace the flex-plate with the OEM unit or look for another type? I'm having the engine and trans pulled out of the car and having the engine rebuilt (currently standard) with 240 - 250 @.50, 108 - 110 LSA cam, head/valve train work and pistons/rods.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Down Under :

I know if I broke my flexplate, I'd replace it with a stronger SFI unit.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club NA

Im most likely going to buy a TCI unit for the obvious reason! ($200 vs. $280) Why is the Madman unit 80 bucks more? Whats the difference between the TCI and the Madman? Lastly before I place the order, does anyone know if anyone else (another manufacturer) is going to be putting one on the market anytime soon or in the near future? I just wanted to know because I dont want to buy this one and then next month one comes out that I rather have. Just want to make sure that this is the one that I want to buy. An aftermarket unit is already a go, its what brand that I have to decide from. I just wanted to make sure that nothing is going to come out later thats going to be better. Thanks
Old 08-30-2003, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Flexplates: GM (OEM) vs. TCI vs. Madman *DELETED*

The Reactor (Madman) flexplate is made of billit aluminum.

Good luck

Tom
Old 08-30-2003, 09:45 PM
9 Second Club NA

How would you say it compares to the TCI unit which is constructed of billet steel? I know that theyre both SFI approved and that the Madman unit is a bit more expensive, but what makes it so? Is it the material that makes it $80 more? I knew that my decision could be easily thrown off! I know that the Madman is a more expensive unit, but does that necessarily make it a better unit? Thanks
Old 08-31-2003, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

E-mail Kevin and ask the material. Probably a steel unit.

Quick Reply: Flexplates: GM (OEM) vs. TCI vs. Madman