Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to switch pedals? (manual to auto)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How hard is it to switch pedals? (manual to auto)

Im going to be doing a conversion in the near future and I was wondering how hard it is to swap out the manual pedals to the automatic? Ive never had any experience with this, so if you have some instructions for me, please elaborate/explain as much as you can. I dont know if there are any write-ups on this, but if there are, please post/list 'em. Thank you and I appreciate any help!
Old 08-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How hard is it to switch pedals? (manual to auto)

Just take off that kick panel and take a look. It's just a few bolts and a cable. There just isn't much room in there at all. Shouldn't take you long at all.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Ont tip though... If you want to be able to use your cruise control after the swap, you will need to KEEP the white plastic switch that contacts the clutch pedal and tape it CLOSED. Otherwise, your car will still think you have a clutch, and that the clutch pedal is depressed, and you will therefore never be able to set the cruise control.

I did the manual-to-auto swap earlier this year... I don't post here all that much, so if you do a search under my user number, you'll easily be able to find my previous posts about the things to watch out for when doing the swap. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did it today. The hardest part was removing the pedals. It gets hung on everything. Turn it counter clock wise to get it around the steering column. Put the new pedals in turning the pedals now clockwise to go aroung the steering. Only the gas pedal will go around it. Tighten the bolt and nut for the gas pedal and the two nuts for the brake pedal. Now your clutch mount will be flush agianst the fire wall. Drill the two holes for the brace and an 1.25in hole for the slave. The slave will fit under the brake booster so you dont have to remove it. Connect the brake and slave pistons to proper pedals and your done. An hour job if everything goes smoothly.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 08-24-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL. Oops i read your post agian. Sorry. To late for me, ive been working on my car all day.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:18 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would I need to replace the gas and brake pedal or just the brake? Does the gas pedal on the M6 have to be modified, relocated, etc. for it to work with the auto. brake pedal? Do I need just the brake pedal or is it a whole assembly?

If you want to be able to use your cruise control after the swap, you will need to KEEP the white plastic switch that contacts the clutch pedal and tape it CLOSED.
Is that the only way to do it? Using tape just didnt sound so professional to me, but if thats the only way, then I have no choice. Thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

To make it easier for you, take the time to remove the front seat so you can lay down and work versus trying to cram up in there.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Is that the only way to do it? Using tape just didnt sound so professional to me, but if thats the only way, then I have no choice. Thanks
I would think you could check for contact (with an ohm meter) at which possision (open or closed) the switch is in when the clutch is up (not pushed in)....

if its open (no contact...no power flows), then just leave it unpluged...

if its closed (contact...power flows), you could either wire up a plug or simply stick a jumper in the harness to make the connection...